Further to: Mares vs. Geldings....Team Roping

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

rockinm

Further to: Mares vs. Geldings....Team Roping

Postby rockinm » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:47 pm

From what I've gathered from the previous discussion on mares vs geldings in seems the barrel racers are OK with either a mare or gelding as long as it is a good horse.

WHY does it seem like Team Ropers don't want mares? The team roper "in my life" doesn't mind either way but finds a mare is really hard to sell as a team roping horse so he doesn't train them for it. Everyone wants a gelding....

What's the scoop team ropers?

April

Postby April » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:43 pm

I have one that rides a mare butdo you think I can get him to buy a mare...unless he likes her and thinks he will want to keep her, he won't buy a mare either!

I get a long with mares and geldings and don't care what I ride as long as they do their job! Isn't that all that matters in the end anyways... :?

tdw

Postby tdw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:57 am

In my experience I think it's when the team ropers get home that they don't like mares. What I mean is that if you bring a mare home and turn her out in a field of geldings (no matter how behaved she is) then (it's not the mares fault) some geldings get stupid - fighting over the girl. And I think a lot of people just do not want to be bothered with sorting horses and would choose a gelding over a mare for this fact - it's just easier.

But then on the other hand my brother in law would choose a mare over a gelding in a heart beat -- so who knows!

Jody

Postby Jody » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 am

I think the big thing with team ropers liking geldings is that when they are done roping they can tie them up with other horses and can go bullshit with their buddies and don't have to worry about something happening. They don't want to have to go check on their horses every few minutes. Its too bad though cause mares have twice the heart and if they would give them a chance i think they would really like them.

cpw

Postby cpw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:33 pm

We've had mares as rope horses and I think TDW hit the nail on the head. What a pain, when they are turned out with the geldings. I think they are more in tune with being a horse and that includes, herding and escaping. Having said that you need to more on your game cause they sure are.

huey

Postby huey » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:59 pm

My 'team roper' said it is just too hard to sell a mare to a team roper because of the 'stigma' that goes along with her. Also. the mares we have had were very inconsistent. Some days they gave 110% and the next day they would buck your butt off before you would ride in the box!
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”