CIRA history

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

can_chaiser

CIRA history

Postby can_chaiser » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 pm

We are trying to track down the roots of the start of the CIRA in canada, and when college rodeos started. if you have parents or siblings that went to college rodeos and were the humble beginings of our association started that would be great, names places rodeos, executive anything will help, or if you participated for years please let us know....

randa

Re: CIRA history

Postby randa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:24 pm

My dad said he was at one of the first college rodeos in the early 1970's (1971 in the Corral) He was attending Mount Royal College. So that might give you a starting point....

College Rodeo Finals that year were held in Calgary. They had rodeos in Lethbridge, Olds, Vermillion and Calgary that he can remember.

I had thought he started the college rodeos in Canada but it was the HSR in Alberta that he got started. 8o)
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Burner

Postby Burner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:00 pm

If you can track down Gary Sparshu, he would be able to help you. His son Jeri went to Olds College, not sure if you can track him down from there. He was involved in the early 70's also. My boss was at U of A starting in 1974 and then was president of there club 1975-77 and said it was for sure up and running prior to him starting university in 1974.
Hope that gives you a little direction.

Bocephus

Postby Bocephus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Jeri actually isn't Gary's son, but nephew. He is not in contact with Gary either.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”