Not a truck...not a car

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

sheena

Not a truck...not a car

Postby sheena » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 pm

We are getting rid of one truck to get a smaller "something". I dont want a car!! I really like the Buick Enclave (spelling may be wrong) but it only gets 24 miles to the gallon. If we are getting rid of a truck we want something that is MUCH better on fuel. I still want a 4x4 and something not to small. I even like the Dodge durango...but the buick was so nice looking!!! Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions it would be great!! Thanks so much.
I'ts not what happens to you that determines how far you will go in life ;it is how you handle what happens to you.

Sam

Re: Not a truck...not a car

Postby Sam » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:37 am

Toyota RAV 4 - My sister has one, and will definitely be my next non truck vehicle purchase! Great gas mileage, very comfortable for 5 adults, great view point for driver and passengers, and good cargo space :)

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 am

Well I can help you out as I have done lots of research on fuel efficient SUV's, as I am looking to buy as well.
For example, my mom drives a 2009 Nissan Rogue AWD and gets 35 mpg+ on the highway....cost her $17 to make a 3 hr trip the other day!!!! It is a smaller style SUV but that's what makes it so darn good on fuel. I drive a 2008 Dodge Caliber car and it's a piece of crap on fuel...makes me so angry that I don't have AWD and I have a smaller engine, yet my mom gets twice the fuel mileage I do. My advice is to stay away from the non import SUV's if you want fuel efficiency (exception being the Ford Escape Hybrid). Like someone said, a Toyota Rav4 is good, I've also heard the new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe's are good too as well as the Subaru's. I have a friend that drives a Dodge Nitro, another friend that drives a GMC Torrent, my step mom drives a Ford Edge and I had a Olds Bravada before my car and they are very nice vehicles and ride smooth, but all them are hard on fuel...if anyone says different, they've obviously never drove an import before and can't compare...it's fact the imports are designed for their fuel efficiency. In saying this tho, most these imports I'm talking about are considered "crossovers" so they are a bit smaller. If you want something bigger like a Dodge Durango, then be expected to pay about the same as you would for a half ton truck in gas.
Hope this helps!!!!

C.A.A.

Postby C.A.A. » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 am

I recently bought a Chevy Equinox AWD for the same reason. I love it. There is tons of room and it is great in snow and on ice. Mine is an '08 and I am a little dissappointed in the gas mileage. It costs about 10-12 bucks to go 100 kms. I was hoping for a little better. I did drive a dodge 1500 quad cab before this so I must say - this is a definate improvement!! They say the new ones are really great on gas. If you don't get an SUV 4x4, go for the AWD for sure!

playin hard

Postby playin hard » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:45 pm

I usually drive a Nissan Titan but have a 2009 Buick Enclave as a rental vehicle while my truck is in the body shop. I would NOT recommend the Enclave at all if you are looking for something with good fuel economy. I have found the Enclave horrible on fuel. I drove 2 1/2 hours on the highway Monday and used 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I have also found the Enclave not that comfortable to drive for longer distances. But this is just my opinion. I
I have heard that the Jeep Patriot is really good on fuel.

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:34 pm

playin hard....what is your Nissan half ton like on fuel??

Michele

Postby Michele » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Does anyone know what the fuel mileage is like on the European SUV/CUV's? Specifically the BMW X6.
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

playin hard

Postby playin hard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 pm

My Nissan Titan is good on fuel even when pulling the holiday trailer or a small horse trailer. I have been really happy with it. I have the V8 engine in mine. I don't know exact mpg numbers but I will get my husband to figure it out.

huey

Postby huey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:56 pm

We have a 2008 Jeep Patriot and really like it. It is good on fuel and has enuff room for the 5 of us. It IS a Jeep and the interier is not great and it has a bit of road noise. Not a pricey vehicle, so ya get what ya pay for too.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

barrel85

Postby barrel85 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I towed my 2 horse bumper pull with an 05 toyota 4 runner last year. Its only a V6 engine but toyotas have lots of horse power, we had no issues with the brakes or towing up or downhills, or in 4x4 places. Although me and the ex split so Im now towing with my new truck....which I will admit is nice and convenient to haul hay in..rather than bagging it and hauling it in the suv haha!

sheena wrote:We are getting rid of one truck to get a smaller "something". I dont want a car!! I really like the Buick Enclave (spelling may be wrong) but it only gets 24 miles to the gallon. If we are getting rid of a truck we want something that is MUCH better on fuel. I still want a 4x4 and something not to small. I even like the Dodge durango...but the buick was so nice looking!!! Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions it would be great!! Thanks so much.

porky

Postby porky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:47 pm

The Ford Edges are sexy! Thats what i would get right now........it is a mid sized crossover. I also like the buick enclaves but the ford edge are similar just smaller and i think better on fuel. Mazda also has some nice crossovers with all wheel drive and big wheels with nice shiny big rims....my boss had one......not sure what it was but it was nice as well. You will look good in a crossover sheena......and the babies will fit in nicely in the back! :wink: :-D Good luck vehicle shopping. AL

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”