size of saddle for 7 year old girl?

A great place to "stay tuned" - General discussion and a great place to learn new things!

Moderator: Moderator

size of saddle for 7 year old girl?

Postby Nanner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 am

I was looking for a 12" barrel racing saddle for my daughter but was told by a friend that her trainer said to buy a 14" one as they will get more use out of it. Not too woried about the use part as 12" barrel saddles are hard to find and I am sure i can sell it after she grows out of it. I do have an older Billy Cook 13.5" saddle and was going to get new fenders made for her as they are too long but she is starting to get a little faster than a trot on the barrels and wants to so faster so I was worried that the seat would not hold her in as good on the bigger saddle. She has great balance as I would not let her ride her pony without me unless she was bareback (in the round pen...I have dragging issues!!lol) so since she has ridden her almost every nice day since she was 2, it is normal to see her riding around and troting without a saddle.
She has a Western Pleasure saddle 12" that fits her great.
Nanner

Re: size of saddle for 7 year old girl?

Postby leocanchaser » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:08 am

I have a 7 yr old girl who is bigger than most kids her age and i bought her a 12'' just last christmas, it fit her well, if you are going to put her on a faster horse, i suggest the smaller seat...i actually kept justise in her 10'' until January. A bigger seat took her some time to get used to. I actually found a 13'' lynn mackenzie billy cook (the old ones) and she rides it now. I honestly would not put her in anything bigger, because sometimes she still loses her 'sweet spot' and its a tad scary when the big horse is really cranking it on. safety before money but thats just me. Good luck :)
~~Winning is when oppourtunity and preperation meet. Then you win.~~
leocanchaser

Postby moonlake » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm

I agree....stick with a smaller saddle if you can for her, just think how you feel riding a saddle too big for you. Just watch...originally we bought a cheap one for our daughter, but ended up dishing out for a better quality one as the cheaper one didn't fit her full size quarter horse she is riding & even though the saddle fit her, it really rolled on her horse. Plus if you find a good quality one they hold their value as they are really hard to find in the smaller sizes.
moonlake

Postby huey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I have my 8 yr old in a 12", she's tall & thin. She's rode this saddle for a couple yrs now and it's just starting to fit her well. Have my 6 yr old in a 10" and she'll probably fit it 1 more yr.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck
huey

Postby nterry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 pm

I have my 7 year old and my 11 year old in a 12" saddle. They will be in them for a while yet.
nterry

Return to The Round Pen ~ Discussion