Getting friend to bring horse across border?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

laci_suitor

Getting friend to bring horse across border?

Postby laci_suitor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:00 am

Just wondering if anyone knows: Is there anything required other than the health cert, coggins, bill of sale, and letter of permission required to have a friend bring a horse across the border for me? (From U.S. to Canada) The horse will be in my name. Should she have any troubles with any of this?
Thanks!

georod

Re: Getting friend to bring horse across border?

Postby georod » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Laci, those are all the papers you should need. You might want to get a broker to handle the paperwork, and if the horse is new to Canada they will want you to pay GST on the value. Just had someone haul horses for us and we used Percy H. Davis as brokers. 306-927-2022 is their number; Barry O'Handley is the fellow that handled our stuff. He'll know about the gst. Hope that helps you out. G. Mattinson

SF Performance Horses

Postby SF Performance Horses » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Laci, we hauled a horse back across for my brother, Shayne Smith, and had all the paperwork; however, we were still required to have a broker to handle it. You'll want to arrange this beforehand or there will be a delay (hours, or even a day depending on whether the vet stays or comes back the next day). IF, you meet them before the border and drive it back across I believe it would save you the hassle (we just waited for my brother to catch up to us and bring it across himself - no delay, no broker). - Ronda Sayers -

laci_suitor

Postby laci_suitor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks guys! Am going through a broker, so hopefully everything will be in order!

Texas

Postby Texas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 pm

The horses are inspected by a Vet coming into Canada. The Canadian Vet is on duty Monday to Friday until 4:PM, later you have to pay them over time and there is an inspection fee now that was just implemented fairly recently.
The contact info for the Canadian Vet (Dr. Kelly) at the Coutts Border Crossing phone number is 403 344 3808 if you have additional questions.
A horse out of Texas or New Mexico requires additional blood work besides the coggins.

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

The horses are only inspected by a vet coming into Canada IF there is no previous paperwork done on them by a US vet. My best advice to you is call the port you are going to cross and ck with them. Everyone seems to have a theory but every scenario is different for every person coming across. Brokers, inspection fees, vets.....???? Some of those are news to me and I work there lol.
Call your crossing and ck with them.....don't go to the extra expense if you don't need to.

Texas

Postby Texas » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am

Based on experience coming in at Coutts, bringing horses back into Canada with previous paperwork in May 2010 and again in August, a Canadian Border Vet checked the horses and there was a fee. I got to the border at 3:50PM and paid over time to 4:30PM.
On the same two trips ( May & Aug) we had one horse per trip that we'd just purchased, the same Canadian Vet inspection was required for each of the new horses coming into Canada.
I am not an expert, I base this info on my experiences in the last 5 years of taking horses across the border. :think:
Perhaps there are some short cuts that I am not aware of, I'd welcome additional info from anyone with the expertise.
:Sun:

sleeper

Postby sleeper » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:27 pm

I generally bring 2 -4 horses (purchased in the U.S.) back every November for friends and never have had any problems. We have never brokered them nor have we met with a vet. From the previous posts it sounds like there is now a vet to see at the border, is this correct? Also has it became more difficult this year to bring horses purchased personally accross the border without a broker? Just wondering as I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I leave!

laci_suitor

Postby laci_suitor » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 am

The horse is coming from Kentucky. My friend is hauling her from OKC home into Alberta across the Coutts border I would imagine. Anyways, I will be in Alaska at the time and want to be sure she will have no troubles at the border since I will be all the way up there, possibly without cell service the day she crosses the border.

I phoned a broker at the border. Coincidently, this broker knows the girl that is hauling my horse home! This works well as she is going to help make sure everything runs smoothly. I had to file for a gst number since the people at the border may consider my friend a "commercial importer". I guess they are sticky sometimes with "favors" and wont consider it. This way my gst # will be on file when she goes through the border and she will just pay the gst for me. This is what the broker suggested I do to make it run the smoothest..so hopefully there will be no problems. She did not say anything about a vet check, but I'll check into that as well..

Thanks for all your inputs...it's funny how everyone has had different experiences!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”