Advice/costs on AI

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

WL

Advice/costs on AI

Postby WL » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

With the breeding season fast approaching I'm considering getting semen shipped and AI breeding a mare. I know there are a lot of you out there with experience with this. Do you have any advice and what costs can I expect beside the price of the semen. And for fun...what would you breed a Sun Frost/Easily Smashed bred mare to for a future barrel prospect if all turns out.
Thanks in advance.

ls

Re: Advice/costs on AI

Postby ls » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 pm

I had 2 mares AI'd last year. Semen was out of the US. Shipping cost $650 - it is more expensive now due to the CEM outbreak in the Us a few years ago. Every shipment now has to be signed off by a federal vet in the US thus the increase in cost compared to 3 or 4 years ago. My vet fee's ranged from $1100 -$1500. You also need to get a permit to import semen from the Canadian Gov't (CFIA) prior to shipping. It takes a few weeks to get the permit and paperwork needed to import semen so get this done early. The permit is good for a year and cost $75. Hope this helps. As far as who to breed your mare to well there are a ton of terrific stallions depending on your budget. Myself I'd stay with a running bred stallion.
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.

fanofElvis

Postby fanofElvis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32 am

The $650 figure did that include your stud fee and shipping or was your stud fee in addition to the $650?.

misty

Postby misty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:23 am

fanofElvis wrote:The $650 figure did that include your stud fee and shipping or was your stud fee in addition to the $650?.

the 650$ (this fee can vary)is just the shipping, your stud fee is in addition to that...it adds up pretty fast...but its not to bad if you get on it early, i applied for the permit tuesday and i should have it by today sometime.........

m

cowhorse1

Postby cowhorse1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm

I had two mares AI'd last year to a saskatchewan stud. The vet costs really seem to vary depending on your location and your vets fees as it only cost me $250/mare to get mine bred. I also found it easiest to keep the mare at the vets when it gets close to the time she will be ready to breed as it is easier for them to keep a close eye on her and breed her at the best time.

ls

Postby ls » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 pm

The $650 was shipping only. My stud fee's were in addition to this. The shipping cost I agree will vary as will the vet fee's. I didn't mind the vets fee's I paid as both mares caught first cycle which was important to me as doing a second cycle would again have cost me shipping and vet fees.
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”