Young horse with sore Heels

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

adele

Young horse with sore Heels

Postby adele » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what did you do and is it a maintenance for ever kind of problem. I just took my four year old to the Vet because he has been lame for some time. Not extreme lame, but I knew he was off and found that rest did nothing to alleviate the problem. Vet deciphered it to be pain in the heels, recommended Adequan and then to get shoes put on as if we were shoeing a horse with navicular. After the shoes, we are to wait five days and then ride to see if he is sound. If he is sound, then ride for a month, reset and see if he stays sound. Reassess after reset. Recommended a couple of options with different pads, but not to pad the sole because his soles are soft. I am wondering if anyone else has come across this and what your outcome was. Thanksfor any input.

jb

Re: Young horse with sore Heels

Postby jb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Can you take a picture of his hoof conformation and post it? Has this always been a problem, did you start him last year or even as a two year old and he was fine, or was he sore then too? If he is sore in the heels I would like to see a pic of his foot conformation to see if he doesn't have much heel to his foot and is under-run in the heels because of this. This type of foot conformation will result in a sore footed horse as his sensitive heels contact the ground, especially this time of year on frozen ground and horse poo. This can often be corrected with proper farrier care of trimming back the toes to promote the heel area of the hooves to grow more. Shoeing will help so that his hooves aren't warn off as quickly as they grow and to give his hoof structure and support and a layer of protection from the hard surfaces, I've never had to resort to pads, but if your guy is really sore you may have to. It also wouldn't hurt to get him on some kind of product for hoof support, either Farriers Formula, or Silver Lining herbs, something along those lines anyways. Try to stay away from shoeing designed for navicular or other problems unless you, your vet and farrier determine this or something like this is the specific problem, as this type of shoeing starts to mess with angles and natural foot coformation and will cause more problems on a horse that doesnt have this type of condition.
Find yourself an excellent farrier and get thier opinion and go from there. Best of luck!!

k2farms

Postby k2farms » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:53 pm

I've been through this specifically with a horse of mine, as well as others with similar problems. The best $20 you will ever spend on horse stuff and will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars with vets and farriers to no avail...
the book--- Making Natural Hoof Care work for you by Pete Ramey--- website www.hoofrehab.com
You can order it easily at www.amazon.ca
Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting!!!

Michele

Postby Michele » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:06 am

I have the exact same problem with one of my horses. We took an xray of his foot and took more toe off then put a bar shoe on and he's been sound since. We started out with little wedge shoes but found the bar shoe works just as well. Like jb said, his heels are under-run so he needs the support of the shoe.
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

kbradshaw

Postby kbradshaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:31 pm

I have a similar problem (if you dont mind me hijacking the post)
I wanted to ask k2farms:
If your horse that you mention had low heels or....under run heels?
I have been using the Pete Ramey barefoot trim to rehab an old race horse with severly under run heels and long toes.....but what I gather from his book and all the other barefoot info I can find is that the heels are supposed to be low to the ground anyways.....with a short toe of course for break over and proper weight distribution.
I was just wondering what exactly you were dealing with with your horse?....what you did to fix it? how long it took and how well is it fixed now?
I am having a hard time convincing my horses heals to want to do anything but grow parallel to the ground...
:Sun:

Michele

Postby Michele » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 pm

In the words of a farrier I know, "sometimes you have to cut heel to grow heel."
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

mowgli1

Postby mowgli1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Have a look at this blog by Ian Zoerb. He had lots of insight
http://ianzoerbfarrier.blogspot.com/201 ... heels.html

kbradshaw

Postby kbradshaw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks mowgli1 for the link ..... he looks A1, wish he werent in Brooks!. Its the details that matter and he's makes a good point....just because it looks right to the eye doesnt mean it is right.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”