Boots Topic!

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

randa

Postby randa » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:56 am

I really don't like the SMB boots. I find that they are pretty thick and bulky. I do use wraps on the back but you really have to know how to wrap properly if you are going to use them. I like Classic and PRO (not proffessional choice just PRO) they are similar to the PC boots but not bulky.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

jet

Postby jet » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:25 pm

Classic Boots fit more snug and don't get near as much dirt in them. Wrapping is ultimate for me though. It just takes more time. And yes, I agree, you need to know how to wrap well. I learned from a dressage instructor. It's great what we can pick up from other disciplines.

KD

Postby KD » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:12 pm

I'm a huge fan of wraps, I use them all the time. I agree with the above, that it is so important to know how to wrap properly, but if you do know, I think wraps are the way to go. They don't get dirt in them like the neoprene wraps do. And added bonus they are much cheaper and you can get a bazillion different colors. Just make sure to always tape them to make sure the velcro doesn't come undone and have your horse trip on them. I started using wraps cause my horse at the time was allergic to neoprene and her legs swelled up like fence posts and heated up and she couldn't even walk. Just so thankful I hadn't tried a neoprene cinch on her! I had never heard of this before, just glad we figured it out!
"You walk on the road long before you can dance under the lights."

Lisa!

Postby Lisa! » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:22 pm

I only use wraps as well! I also agree that you need to know how to wrap. They are light weight, easy to clean, and come in a varitey of colors as well as they are CHEAP!! This is a GREAT forum!!! Hats off to you Michelle!!!

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:17 pm

Hello Everyone,

OK--am I missing something here?? How do you mean that wraps have to be wrapped correctly?? They are thin pieces of fleece and I personally would just wrap them like I put on a boot...always wrap towards the back to pull the tendon back, not forward. Is there something else to this method I'm not aware of???
Forgive me if I'm a little behind the times, but why would a person choose to use the wraps over the boots as they seem so flimsy to me. I had a horse badly burn himself one time on the back end from getting in the ground so hard, so ever since then I chose to use back boots all the time. I just can't see how polo wraps are better protection other than maybe they don't hold as much "heat" or something. But, I've never had a problem with boots...I like the new the Justin ones and I also use Abbeta, not a fan of pro choice though!!!
I'd like to hear the pros and cons of each just out of curiousity...anyone care to approach this one???

Thanks alot!!! :) :)

randa

Postby randa » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:00 pm

miss_brook wrote:Hello Everyone,

OK--am I missing something here?? How do you mean that wraps have to be wrapped correctly?? They are thin pieces of fleece and I personally would just wrap them like I put on a boot...always wrap towards the back to pull the tendon back, not forward. Is there something else to this method I'm not aware of???
Forgive me if I'm a little behind the times, but why would a person choose to use the wraps over the boots as they seem so flimsy to me. I had a horse badly burn himself one time on the back end from getting in the ground so hard, so ever since then I chose to use back boots all the time. I just can't see how polo wraps are better protection other than maybe they don't hold as much "heat" or something. But, I've never had a problem with boots...I like the new the Justin ones and I also use Abbeta, not a fan of pro choice though!!!
I'd like to hear the pros and cons of each just out of curiousity...anyone care to approach this one???

Thanks alot!!! :) :)

You would be suprised at the number of people who don't know how to wrap a leg properly. Including shipping boots or wrap if you use them.

I have never used the Justin or Abbeta boots. My only thing I don't like is a bulky boot like the Proffessional Choice. I have a pair of split boots that are used for jumping that are awesome in the mud, they are called Escadon (sp). They have a soft lining with a semi hard shell on the outside.

tdw

Postby tdw » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:41 pm

What do you mean by too bulky? Do you mean prochoice look bulky or do you feel it affects a horses leg movement?

Pro Choice has a new boot called the SMB 'Elite' has anyone tried them?

qbm98

Postby qbm98 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:06 am

http://carriagehousebandb.ca/wrap.html Polo wrapping but an interesting article.

Google Search brings up all sorts of wrapping sites fyi.
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

jet

Postby jet » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:49 am

Actually you should wrap from front to back & outside to inside. If you wrap with a V in the front of the ankle/fetlock joint, you will have better flexion of that joint.
Here's a couple articles I found:
http://www.marthajosey.com/mjcorner3.htm
http://www.xcodesign.com/aaep/displayArticles.cfm?ID=44
Interesting!

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:04 pm

Jet...How do you mean wrap with a "V"??? I don't quite understand what you mean.
Randa...you should have a look at the new Justin back boot, you would probably really like them as they are far from bulky.
Thanks everyone for those great articles!! But, I'll admit...I'm still not convinced that one or the other are better. Also, do you guys all wrap your horses legs 3 days before you run??? That seems a little over bearing in my mind, but I can see wrapping them for a long trailer ride which I have never done but after reading those articles I am reconsidering. Am I a terrible person for not pampering my barrel horses...I have always believed that once you start over protecting them, the horse will become dependant on it and that's when you'll run into trouble. There are so many girls out there who spend so much extra time and money on feeds, supplements, therapies, drugs, etc and I just can't be bothered with all of that especially when I feel my horses run just as good as most of theirs do!!! Hey, I'm changing topics a bit here so I'm going to post a new topic on this....I think this would be a good conversation piece!!!
Thanks again everyone.

randa

Postby randa » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:47 pm

My wrapping for hauling is only for protection, I use a fleece or cotton leg wrap that covers the cornet (sp) band, ankle and then up to the knee. And I DO NOT wrap for any more than the time I am travelling. I don't think it is good for a horses leg to be wrapped for too long. Think about it this way, wrap your leg up real good for a day or two and take it off. Do you feel better? No, you feel like your leg is weak because the wrap was holding everything tight!!

This is just my OWN OPINION. My horses are horses, I do not really pamper them. They earn their keep around here.

Michele

Postby Michele » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:59 am

randa wrote:My wrapping for hauling is only for protection, I use a fleece or cotton leg wrap that covers the cornet (sp) band, ankle and then up to the knee. And I DO NOT wrap for any more than the time I am travelling. I don't think it is good for a horses leg to be wrapped for too long. Think about it this way, wrap your leg up real good for a day or two and take it off. Do you feel better? No, you feel like your leg is weak because the wrap was holding everything tight!!

This is just my OWN OPINION. My horses are horses, I do not really pamper them. They earn their keep around here.

Exactly! I let my horses be horses! We don't have a barn and they're turned out in the winter and I only bring them in when I ride. I think it's good for them to do what the would do if they were wild. Like you said that's my opinion. As for wraps I don't usually wrap in the trailer. I do wrap if we're at a finals, derby etc when they're cooped up in a stall to keep them from stoving up. That is wraps with quilts.
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

jet

Postby jet » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:48 am

Actually the wraps end up being an upside down V just by the way you cross them in front.
Normally I don't use any boots on my horses because I'm from the camp that believes the tendons are strengthened without the continuous support. I only use boots when I'm going to work barrels, cows, or feel that the work might be strenuous. Definitely not when we are just trotting & loping circles.

Jody

Postby Jody » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:11 pm

Why is it that polo horses are wrapped opposite to race horses.
Race horses wraps are pulled towards the front of the horse same as is done with pro choice boots or any other kind of boot, and polo horses wraps are pulled towards the back of the horse.
Which is the correct way??
Wouldn't it make sense to wrap in the same direction of a boot? There has been years of research done on the protective boots and that would seem like the logical way to wrap them.

I also noticed on one of Marlene Eddleman's tapes that she wrapped the front legs in the opposite direction of the back legs. Any answers to why she does it like that?

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”