Orphan Foal, need advice....

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Steph

Orphan Foal, need advice....

Postby Steph » Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 pm

We unfortunatly lost our mare during foaling on Mothers Day, of all days :( But on the positive side we were able to save the beautiful little filly. I was able to milk the mare postmortum and got a good litre of colostrum, which we bottle fed to her,and then quickly got her drinking out of a bucket. We are currently feeding Browns foal milk replacer.
My question is which foal milk replacer and milk pellets do you recommend ??
Every Day is a Good day!

Dawn

Re: Orphan Foal, need advice....

Postby Dawn » Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I lost a mare when the foal was 3 weeks old. Little buggar wouldn't suck a bottle and when then we finally got him to drink out of a pail it was awesome. I right away gave him nutrena youth which is pelleted. You can actually creep feed this so there is no worry about giving them to much or them burning out on it. After he was 3 months old I took him off the milk and just gave him the pellets and good quality alfalfa hay but he also was grazing on the grass. I kept him with an older mare and when it came time to wean the others in the fall he was just as big and took getting seperated from his buddy the worst even though he wasn' nursing. How much are you paying for the milk replacer?

Steph

Postby Steph » Thu May 12, 2011 4:42 pm

about $50 for a 10kg pail/bag, my vet recommended milk pellets as well, but I am finding it hard to find a supplier.
Every Day is a Good day!

Dms

Postby Dms » Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 pm

When we had orphan foals we got milk from a local dairy & mixed it with corn syrup to make it sweet like a mare's milk. That's what our vet recommended and our foals grew up pretty good!
Build the Team to Acheive the Dream!

Steph

Postby Steph » Fri May 13, 2011 10:16 am

Great idea Dms, unfortunatly there are no dairies around this area.
What other kind of feeds have any of you used at this age?? (she is 5 days old now)
Every Day is a Good day!

amberw

Postby amberw » Fri May 13, 2011 12:45 pm

There was a really good article on raising an orphan foal in the April Equus. I can scan and email it to you if you pm me your email address.

Steph

Postby Steph » Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks amber! will do.
Every Day is a Good day!

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun May 15, 2011 12:20 am

So sorry to hear of your situation..its so sad.

Browns is good and drinking out of the bucket is so much better for them and you. Be sure to wash the bucket between feedings. The milk pellets are really good too once they are ready to move on, but get the foal stablized on the milk first. I found I changed around 2 months of age. If the foal develops diahorea it usually indicates that the nmilk mixture may be too strong and to cut back on it some. I would not use cow's milk as there isn't the correct nutrition in it. Any foals that I raised did really well. A lot of it is making sure the foal gets fed regularly.

More advice is not to tolerate any kicking, biting or body pushing, etc. Foal will want to play, but foal will become more agressive as it gets older so it is best to stop it right away.

I know of a nurse mare if you are interested.

Steph

Postby Steph » Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 am

Thank You Sandy. I will be contacting you for more info.
And yes she is getting be a bit of a holy terror, I am trying to not let me get away with things but it is hard.
Every Day is a Good day!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”