Equine Herpes Confirmed Case in Alberta

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Texas

Equine Herpes Confirmed Case in Alberta

Postby Texas » Sun May 15, 2011 8:39 am

The attached News Release came out just Friday May 13/11
:(
Horse owners need to be aware of one confirmed case of equine herpes in Alberta with several sick horses waiting to get blood work back. Equine herpes is HIGHLY contagious! Sometimes the blood work shows negative which happens once the temperature drops and sometimes is mis-diagnosed for wobbles; the horse is put down without any further testing. A more sure way to detect the equine herpes virus is by nasal swab. The cases in Alberta, Ogden, BC, Colorado and California showed the neurological symptoms (some of which have been put down) which are obvious the horse is sick or not right. As I understand it; The way it is transmitted is by a carrier that has a temperature and nasal discharge which is so very easy to overlook and horse owners bring the horse to an event which is how the virus spreads. Some horses have only the nasal and get over it and are fine, some have only the neurological which has to be treated immediately and some have both nasal and neurological which I understand is the worst case.
I have attached the news release from Colorado, as several Canadian Horses were at the show in Ogden that is referred to in the news release. The barn in Colorado is in complete quarantine and have put a horse or two down so far that were in Ogden. There is one confirmed case in Alberta and several are waiting to get lab results on blood and nasal swabs. Early diagnosis and aggressive treatment can save the horse and they can go back to their performance discipline. There are several websites that are very informative on the subject, hopefully people will take the time to become educated on the equine herpes virus and prevent an epidemic. This weekend the Cutting Show at Claresholm was stopped after Fridays show because of the attached news release dated Friday; Too risky!
The bottom line; we haul at our own risk and face risk of our horses becoming infected when anyone hauls their horses into our yard. There is never any intent to hurt or harm, so blame is not a healthy relationship builder.

Equine Herpes.pdf
Last edited by Texas on Sun May 15, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texas

Re: Equine Herpes Confirmed Case in Alberta

Postby Texas » Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 am

Symptoms usually appear 7 to 10 days after contact with an infected horse and the virus can still be transferred up to 35 days as per the literature. Some Vets say quarantine 28 days.

louise

Postby louise » Sun May 15, 2011 11:38 pm

There are confirmed cases in Saskatchewan as well - not sure how many though - there are a couple of places under quarantine that I have heard of.

reinhardt4

Postby reinhardt4 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:48 am

are they just cutting horses so far?

reinhardt4

Postby reinhardt4 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 am

is there anyway to vaccinate? I heard Calvenza works for the one form of Rhino...but it sounds like this is a different strain

Texas

Postby Texas » Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 am

Not sure about Rhino vaccine, I was told if this is a different strain the vaccine probably won't help?? A different strain is how it appears??

It is hard to say if any other disciplines are involved because so many different events are held at the same arenas. Not everyone consults with a Vet??

I understand 3 arenas are shut down with events cancelled while they bleach and disinfect the entire facility. Just to be safe I bleached everything at my place including the inside of my horse trailer and bits.

I will not haul out of here until the root of the problem is indentified and quarantines lifted.

IT IS VERY CONTAGIOUS & SOME HORSES DON'T RECOVER!

STAY SAFE, BE WATCHFUL & CAREFUL!

theblurr

Postby theblurr » Mon May 16, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks for the information!!
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...."
T.Roosevelt

amberw

Postby amberw » Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 pm

There are multiple EHV-1 vaccines however none are labelled as protecting against the neurological form of the disease, just the respiratory form. However speak with your vet, they may go with the theory that if they offer any protection it is better than none.

Texas

Postby Texas » Mon May 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Thank you Della; Also at the bottom of the ATTACHMENT on the first post there are "Additional Resources" that are helpful.

Symptoms include:fever, decreased coordination, nasal discharge, urine dribbling, loss of tail tone, hind limb weakness, leaning against wall or fence to maintain balance, lethargy, and the inability to rise.

Early treatment is important, there are photos on a couple of websites that show horses "dog sitting".
:(

amberw

Postby amberw » Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 pm

The link below gives quite a bit of information...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahss/equi ... e_2009.pdf

rscowgirl

Postby rscowgirl » Mon May 16, 2011 2:26 pm

There have been 3 or 4 confirmed cases in Saskatchewan. There were places under quaranteen, and I think those places who chose to quaranteen on a vets advice are now off quaranteen. The problem here is that vets can not force ppl to quaranteen. They can reccomend but it has to be voluntary. So if one person chooses not to and no one knew they had it it just keeps spreading. And for some reason this has happened. So I believe there should be laws in place so the vets can shut places down quicker even against property ownes wishes.

whisperer

Postby whisperer » Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 pm

There is a rodeo and a jackpot I was planning on attending this weekend, I think I'll stay home!
Where in Alberta was this confirmed does anyone know?

fastkat

Postby fastkat » Mon May 16, 2011 2:52 pm

An email I received today:

"Hey everyone - Just got word of this deadly virus going around our parts.

A girl here at work, who boards her horses there, says it was brought into the Silver Slate Arena (from the US) and a couple horses have died aleady. Her horses are now in quarantine at that arena for the next 21 days. I guess the Okotoks Agriplex closed down on Sunday and today for the same reason, and to clean it up. Although they don't say anything their website but I was told from someone who was there on the weekend.

I know there is a team roping down there coming up in June (Rope for the Saddles) as well there are people who practice rope there during the week so be aware of what is going on and what your horses could come in contact with and possibly pass on."

reinhardt4

Postby reinhardt4 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow this all seems scary to me! I hope people who were at these places STAY HOME!

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Mon May 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Silver Slate Arena has only gone under quarantine to assure that the virus is not brought onto the facility. They did this to protect the facility and the horses in it. This Quarantine is only precaution for the boarders and their personal horses. This Does NOT mean that the EVH-1 is present in the facility it is just a precautionary measure they are taking for there Boarders and themselves.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”