Putting on Weight

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

KT Canchaser

Putting on Weight

Postby KT Canchaser » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:59 am

Does anyone know if Satin Finish will help to increase a horses weight?
Any suggestions on what to use?
My horse is 3 coming 4 and gets rode a couple times a week and is very HOT so I don't want to give any thing that will make her more crazy than she already is. She gets all the hay she wants and approx. gallon of grain per day.
Any ideas?
Keep on Keepin' on

Jody

Postby Jody » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:24 pm

I used to feed Satin Finish to my horses and yes it definatley helped them put on weight but I found that it took a while for them to eat it all and aquire a taste for it.

I feed Moorglo now and it is a rice bran with high fat but in a pellet form. It also has minerals and electrolytes and lots of other "good stuff" and the horses eat it up like candy. I have been able to cut back on my grain with feeding this and the haircoat on the horses are very soft and shiny.
It may be another option to try, just depends on what works best for your horse.

Dms

Postby Dms » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:14 pm

I use beet pulp to add weight to any horse. I've had hard to keep horses and this was the only way to keep some weight on them and not make them hot!

D
Build the Team to Acheive the Dream!

krys

Postby krys » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:36 pm

See I've heard that beet pulp does make them hot...I've never tried it though. KT I have the same problem as you...my mare isn't under weight, but I ride her pretty much every day, not hard though, just for a quick jog, (coming 4 yr old as well) and I need to fatten her up. I have been looking into this all for a couple months now. What I"m trying now is half a cup of grain morning and night mixed with half scoop of flax and then your vitamin (Professional One) and with some apple sider vinegar. It takes them a couple feedings to stop turnign there nose up at the apple cider, but they soon lick it up and I have found my mare is eating way more now, (hay I mean). Before I'd give her a couple flakes of hay and she wouldn't finish it, now I give her 3 and she licks it all up. Just somehting to keep in mind. And it's not hot!! There is Omolene 200 as well, I've heard it's good, but I haven't tried it. Satin finish I heard does help as well, but it gets to be extremely expensive.

randa

Postby randa » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:57 am

krys wrote:See I've heard that beet pulp does make them hot...I've never tried it though. KT I have the same problem as you...my mare isn't under weight, but I ride her pretty much every day, not hard though, just for a quick jog, (coming 4 yr old as well) and I need to fatten her up. I have been looking into this all for a couple months now. What I"m trying now is half a cup of grain morning and night mixed with half scoop of flax and then your vitamin (Professional One) and with some apple sider vinegar. It takes them a couple feedings to stop turnign there nose up at the apple cider, but they soon lick it up and I have found my mare is eating way more now, (hay I mean). Before I'd give her a couple flakes of hay and she wouldn't finish it, now I give her 3 and she licks it all up. Just somehting to keep in mind. And it's not hot!! There is Omolene 200 as well, I've heard it's good, but I haven't tried it. Satin finish I heard does help as well, but it gets to be extremely expensive.

Keep an eye on her with the Performance One as I was told never to feed it to a mare, as they can have a reaction to it. And the Omolene 200 is for giving more energy not weight.

If you are only feeding one horse you could try the Request by Purina. It is expensive if you are feeding more than one horse with it. I was having the same trouble as you guys with my futurity horse. I went to my vet and talked to him about nutrition. We decided against the beet pulp as it has alot of fiber so you horse will be pooping out everything you are putting in him. We have settled on the Request, Apple Cider Vinegar, Oil, and I feed Smooth Run Pro for a vitamin supplement. I have had him on it for 2 weeks and have not had any trouble with him being hot (or bucking me off, knock on wood :wink: ) and he has started to pick up weight and looks really shiny. I only have to feed him 1 3/4 cup of the Request once a day, I feed it at night, so one bag will last me a long time.

Also something to think about is when you are feeding your horse. If you want to feed grain, feed it at night and then they burn the energy it gives them overnight, not when you are trying to ride them. If you are feeding them in the morning they have all that energy to burn while you are trying to teach them something. It is like feeding a chocolate bar to a kid then sending them to school....
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

ChelseyLee

Postby ChelseyLee » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:26 am

There are products available that maintian your horse's weight while providing them with the right nutrients that there bodies need. I have an appendix mare that I am breeding this year. I have decided to use a Feed Rite performace product that will help with giving her the right nutrients but also will keep her weight up while I compete. Also, most of their products have rice bran, which helps preventing hottness as well.

krys

Postby krys » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Randa, just wondering about the Smooth Run Pro vitamin...where do you get it from and does it contain everything like performance one does? I haven't noticed anything yet with the perf one, I just want my mare to get all her vitamins. But it's so damn expensive. Oh and thanks on the heads up on the omolene...I wasn't quite sure. The flax is actually working out nicely. And good to know about the request...I've heard it was good from a couple people. This is a great topic by the way KT...I think everyone has a problem like this one or twice.

randa

Postby randa » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:26 pm

I will pm you the info on the smooth run.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

April

Postby April » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:32 am

I had a mare that was extremenly hard to keep weight on...she looked like a greyhound most of the time!

I put her on something called Race and Endurance. It looks like mulched up grass and they love it. You can feed it on its own or in oats. It doesn't make them hot either. The year I used it on her she held her weight on better and that winter she actually looked fat. I noticed a big difference in her.

KD

Postby KD » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Randa, can you pm me the info on the smooth run too. That would be great. Thanks! :D
"You walk on the road long before you can dance under the lights."

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:17 am

I've got a couple simple suggestions you could try. Have you had the horse's teeth done lately?? Also, you can try feeding an oil like Canola Oil added to your grain for fat. When I feed it in the summer time to my horses that I'm hauling heavy, I feed 2 cups/day and it works great.

turn'n'burn

Postby turn'n'burn » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:52 am

we use a performance feed that alot of cutters use on their horses. it containes equisine 22% supplement, steamed oats w/ molasses, oil and sunflower seeds. we make our own mixture. there is a place in alberta that does sell a similare mixture but for us it is cheaper to make it ourselves. we use this on all our old and young horses. we have found it does not make the colts hot as u don't have to feed a whole lot.
There is no need to spur when a horse is running away. May the horse always be with you.

ljames

Postby ljames » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:35 pm

I had a 4 year old last winter that I had a really hard time putting weight on I started feeding a supplement called ultra kelp, it is natural and organic, and it helped so much. you could see a difference within just a couple of week. Now I feed it to all my horses because it is cheaper and it has most nutrients and, minerals and amino acids. Also I was told not to feed any oils because horses can't naturally digest them and since they can't digest them them just get stored in the muscles and then the muscles get really sore and tight. Has anyone else heard of this

getembroke

putting on weight

Postby getembroke » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:47 pm

I have an EPSM Horse and i can't feed any starchy grains. She has to be on a high fat diet.

She needs at least 2 cups of oil a day. I feed this with alfalfa pellets.

It is the starchy grains that they can not break down or digest properly,they store in the muscles, when the horse is used and the body is looking for energy, it tears the muscle down to get it. The fat provides the horses with a different type of energy and does not destroy the muscles.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”