Adequan, Ichon, Recovery, oh my...

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

twirlnwhirl

Adequan, Ichon, Recovery, oh my...

Postby twirlnwhirl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:22 am

We have a 16yr old gelding with a sore fetlock joint.... X-rays show nothing; he's seen the chiro regularly/as needed - can't find anything that is causing the soreness; is trimmed regularly (don't need shoes on this guy, the kids just ride him around home and the odd gymkana); currently not on any joint supplements, pain relievers or otherwise. He's such a great horse with the kids, we'd like to get him sound again, or at least feeling better - he's definately worth it to us.
I don't want to give this guy Bute, and I'm not interested in joint injections at this time.
What is everyone using for joint maintenance? There are so many out there, its hard to know what to use...! Or what works...

Anyone used the oral Recovery? with Hyaluronic Acid?
Adequan?
Lubrisyn?
Legend?
Ichon?
Map 5?

Any info or insight would be super. Thanks so much :mrgreen:
Home of the swirl brand

tj135

Re: Adequin, Ichon, Recovery, oh my...

Postby tj135 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 am

I use Adequan for my horse. I didn't think it was doing much until I let it lapse one time and then re-started him on it. The difference was noticeable! He responds really well to it.

I'm thinking about trying Legend for the weekends I run him next summer, but I really like Adequan for long term maintenance on him.

I've only used Map 5 as a joint injection, and don't have experience with the rest. I've also been thinking about trying Lubrisyn out on him, but for now would rather not spend my $$ on oral supplements when I know he's getting the Adequan and is responding to it. Good luck 8-)

k2farms

Postby k2farms » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:02 am

I personally like the Recovery. It sure seemed to help a couple older horses of ours stay limbered up. Didn't really know how well it was working until we stopped using it.
Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting!!!

lmf

Postby lmf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am

I like recovery as well. it meant a lot to me when my "non supplement supporter" vet said she had seen a horse that should be put down, run through the pasture again on it.
I use it not only for joints, but it works on a total cellular level, tissues, tendons, etc.
My personal experience with it was with a wound, my horse had been running with the herd and someone stepped on the back of her leg. Cut her wide open and nicked her superficial digital flexor tendon. She was super slow recovering, the ultrasound at 4-weeks post injury showed zero re-growth of the tendon. We battled lameness and adhesions those 4 weeks as well. That day I started her on recovery (not even the ha version). 4 weeks after that (8 weeks post injury) she went from zero re-growth to pretty much complete re-growth of the tendon fibres, and she had been sound the entire time as well. The vets were "surprised and encouraged."

Crash

Re: Adequan, Ichon, Recovery, oh my...

Postby Crash » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 am

I have been using the Recovery with HA for the last 2 rodeo seasons - my horse has never been better! I don't know if it's the Recovery or if I'm doing things right but I'm not going to change anything LOL! I also give him Adequan once a month.

GINCH

Postby GINCH » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:30 pm

i use adequan (did the loading dose) and glucosamine injectable (10cc/week) for our 16yr with high ringbone and then we bute him on jackpot days. seems to work for him:)

TS

Postby TS » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I was just talking to my vet about this, and he said the best thing for joint maintenance and recovery is a glucosamine shot once a month. The shot is $6.00 a shot and he said he has been doing this a long time and he is seeing results with these shots. I would imagine many of the others work as well, but for now I will try these shots and see how it goes.

Trina

twirlnwhirl

Postby twirlnwhirl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks so much everyone!! Very much appreciated!

I'll give a few things a try, and see what helps :) Thanks again!
Home of the swirl brand

Kim A.

Postby Kim A. » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:11 am

I use glucosamine shots once / month with good results for a couple of our old mares.

cowhorse1

Postby cowhorse1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:54 pm

I did the full Adequan program (seven shots) on my 15 year old mare two years ago and have followed up with Adequan shots once a month after that and am really happy with the results. I have also been feeding her a glucosamine supplement but find it hard to always make sure she is getting the supplement very day with out missing any doses. Injectable glucosamine sounds alot easier and cheaper to me. Is there a certain brand of injectable glucosamine that people are using and having success with?

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”