tie down?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
MK
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: tie down?

Postby MK » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:48 pm

tj135 wrote:I would try it, you never know - your horse might really like running with one. When properly used I think they can be excellent tools. If you're having success and happy with how things are right now though, I wouldn't change what's working.

There are plenty of successful barrel horses that run with tie downs. While agree tie downs (like anything) can be used improperly, to generalize it by saying it's only a crutch & a sign of poor training is extremely narrow minded IMO. :naughty:



I agree... It is very hard to say what to do without seeing it in person. If you do try one - Remember to be very careful. If your horse has never worn one make sure it's very loose to begin with and adjust it in stages. If you have a roundpen that's a great spot to get them used to it.

I had some clinicians up here in the spring and they completely changed the way I look at tie downs. We now incorporate tie downs into every aspect of our program. I have found them to be an invaluable tool. Judging by what the clinician horses have gone on and won, I hardly think the use of a tie down is an indication that the horses lack training.

dblx
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Didsbury
Contact:

Re: tie down?

Postby dblx » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 am

Obviously some have never rode in the bush
Ranch ,outfit, train horses

User avatar
MK
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: tie down?

Postby MK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:51 am

dblx wrote:Obviously some have never rode in the bush


Not sure what you are getting at.

am
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: tie down?

Postby am » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Remember we are talking about barrel horses here or putting one on when we make a run for balance and every horse is an individual and if it works great if you don't need one great but every discipline is different in many ways and similar in some as well. So with that in mind probably won't be making a run in the bush and probably won't be asking a race horse to turn so keeping that in perspective you might not want to use one in the bush and you will never see one on a race horse but that is different. And like someone said at the beginning definately opening up a whole can of worms.

KayeS
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Alberta

Re: tie down?

Postby KayeS » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:59 pm

MK wrote:
tj135 wrote:I would try it, you never know - your horse might really like running with one. When properly used I think they can be excellent tools. If you're having success and happy with how things are right now though, I wouldn't change what's working.

There are plenty of successful barrel horses that run with tie downs. While agree tie downs (like anything) can be used improperly, to generalize it by saying it's only a crutch & a sign of poor training is extremely narrow minded IMO. :naughty:



I agree... It is very hard to say what to do without seeing it in person. If you do try one - Remember to be very careful. If your horse has never worn one make sure it's very loose to begin with and adjust it in stages. If you have a roundpen that's a great spot to get them used to it.

I had some clinicians up here in the spring and they completely changed the way I look at tie downs. We now incorporate tie downs into every aspect of our program. I have found them to be an invaluable tool. Judging by what the clinician horses have gone on and won, I hardly think the use of a tie down is an indication that the horses lack training.


I'm curious what the clinician said to you about them to make you change the way you look at them?

am
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: tie down?

Postby am » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes what the clinician had to say and reasoning would be interesting

fanofElvis
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Re: tie down?

Postby fanofElvis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 am

I perosnally do not see the big deal here. Who cares if someone uses a tie down. Now I personally do not agree with having it tightened all the way down calf roper style. But I spend HOURS in the practice pen working on collection and keeping my horse supple and collected and listening BUT the odd time I do throw a tie-down on her depending on pattern size, ground conditions etc. Does it make my horse untrained or needing more time in the practice pen? If you say yes, I invite you to come ride my horse and try her out. Are we going to go as far as saying now that if we cannot run our horses in nothing but an O-ring snaffle does that not make them trained? I mean really a broke horse with enough slow work and riding should just be able to run in a snaffle right? I think each person and their horse is unique combination. I do not know a single person including myself who is so perfect with the perfect horse that is in a position to judge what other people do or do not do. If the tie down is working for you go ahead and use, :naughty: :naughty: so you and your horse feel confident enough to go out and have fun. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. :naughty:

kw
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Crossfield AB

Re: tie down?

Postby kw » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:21 am

fanofElvis wrote:I perosnally do not see the big deal here. Who cares if someone uses a tie down. Now I personally do not agree with having it tightened all the way down calf roper style. But I spend HOURS in the practice pen working on collection and keeping my horse supple and collected and listening BUT the odd time I do throw a tie-down on her depending on pattern size, ground conditions etc. Does it make my horse untrained or needing more time in the practice pen? If you say yes, I invite you to come ride my horse and try her out. Are we going to go as far as saying now that if we cannot run our horses in nothing but an O-ring snaffle does that not make them trained? I mean really a broke horse with enough slow work and riding should just be able to run in a snaffle right? I think each person and their horse is unique combination. I do not know a single person including myself who is so perfect with the perfect horse that is in a position to judge what other people do or do not do. If the tie down is working for you go ahead and use, :naughty: :naughty: so you and your horse feel confident enough to go out and have fun. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. :naughty:


Well said :-D

Kim
Caution, my mouth opens sometimes before my brain engages..............

User avatar
MK
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: tie down?

Postby MK » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:48 am

KayeS wrote:
I'm curious what the clinician said to you about them to make you change the way you look at them?



I had never used a tie down before and thought they were a 'quick fix'. My horses are all very broke... (and for the record.. I do spend alot of time in the bush as I run a dude string).

But, what the clinicians believe (and this is their opinion..their program...so don't throw them under the bus) is that they get the tiedown to keep that horse in frame. ((Disclaimer: These are broke horses that will collect undersaddle, they are not just throwing them on an unbroke horse and forcing the horse into a frame)) Their reasoning is that when you go to barrel work, your cues should be clear and correct. They didn't want to see people fussing with their horses heads. Lots of horses will collect, but people are constantly bumping and getting at them to keep them there - I don't see to many barrel horses going around loose lined and holding a frame (like a reiner). The tie downs hopefully will get the riders to ride quieter with less fuss.

The goal of the clinicians was to keep the cues clear. They didn't want to see people nitpicking at their horses throughout the whole clinic - it was just another point of view and I thought it was very good.

The also showed roundpen work with a tiedown that I thought was pretty cool. They took us through step by step through their training process. Stringray is a product of their program, as well as several other potter horses, rope horses and barrel horses.

I'm not saying this is the answer for the OP's horse . I just don't think tie downs are a terrible thing. I think they can be very useful. If you make a judgment on me or my horses because of it... well, that's your perogative. Just an opinion, take it or leave it.

The clinic was very good and opened my eyes to another point of view. It's hard to explain over the internet, but they could really show everything well in person 8o)

am
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: tie down?

Postby am » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for that MK would you mind saying who the clinicians were?


Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests