Airport Customs

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Toni

Airport Customs

Postby Toni » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:51 am

This is true and just happened to a friend of mine.Her and her family were going to the States for a horse sale and when they went through customs the officer seized her hair products,shampoo,gel,the reason being they were not travel size.Meanwhile her teenage daughter had her pencil case with her carry on so she could do homework on the plane.Inside this case was a pair of scissors.[That the officer saw]The scissors made it through fine,but the fate of the poor hair products has never been disclosed.

katiemac

Re: Airport Customs

Postby katiemac » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 am

Were the hair products in her carry on or in her checked bag? I know in a carry on your only allowed like 100 ml or something like that. Basically 2 lip glosses. But the checked bag your allowed however much you want.
We just went to Vegas and I had packed A LOT of hair products and my shampoo bottle is huge and had no issues with it going through.
They really should have looked twice at the scissors though.

huey

Postby huey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Definately no bigger than 100 ml in carry on. The scissors are weird tho. Was told to not even take nail clippers in carry-on.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

Aurea

Postby Aurea » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:35 pm

I actually thought the limit was 60ml. What I've noticed is every airport seems to have different rules, and sometimes it depends on who's at security. Calgary for example... one flight Dave was not allowed a pocket knife (forgot he had it) and the next they didn't bat an eye, infact he had scissors and his pocket knife. Oh... and moods.... if you get security in a grumpy mood... that just sucks.

huey

Postby huey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm thinking the airline itself will differ.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

miss_brook

Postby miss_brook » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:33 pm

I think you need to clarify that this was done by airport security and NOT by Customs. We at Customs do not ck for quantities, but rather inadmissible goods coming into the country (which certainly does not include shampoos, nail clippers and scissors) and collect any applicable duties and taxes on goods purchased. Two totally different sectors, yet however, we do work in the same building.
Thanks!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”