Glucosamine and Joint Supplements

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

cowhorse1

Glucosamine and Joint Supplements

Postby cowhorse1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

I am just wondering what people are using for joint supplements. Are you using oral supplements or injected and what kind of luck have you had with each? I am trying to do some research into what products are the most effective so I am not wasting my money on a product that is not helping my horses. Thanks for your help.
:Sun:

lmf

Re: Glucosamine and Joint Supplements

Postby lmf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:55 am

I've done a lot of research on oral supplements, taken some seminars from equine nutritions, and there are some good ones out there, Exceed 6-way, and Pureform Gluclosamine Plus are ok. My personal preference is Recovery. With a barrel horse I'm not only worried about joints, but tendons, ligaments, respiratory, etc. and Recovery covers all of that
Per serving
10000mg gluclosamine - joints
10000 mg MSM - inflammation and pain
1000mg TMG - which the horse converts in to DMG, a substance the horse produces themselves, but increased doses help with respiration and recovery, DMG is widely used on racetracks and with "heavey" horses
1400mg buffered vitamin c - buffered c will not upset the horses stomach like pure ascorbic acid vitamin C. Horses produce their own vitamin C, but as they age their ability to produce it decreases, and vitamin C is essential to feed the collagen in healthy joint fluid and tissues in tendons/ligaments.
750 IU Vitamin E - a potent antioxidant and anti inflammatory
1000mg Nutricol, which is a combination of Grape Seed Extract and Green Tea. The manufacturer told me there is about 750 mg of GSE and 250 of Green Tea - GSE has been researched to widely improve cardiovascular and gastric health in horses.

I have priced out purchasing all these items seperately thinking I may save money - but it is cheaper to buy Recovery and have 1 bottle instead of 7! It also comes with HA for improved gluclosamine absorption.
Pureform doesnt' have any grape seed extract - and to feed it seperately is about $2 a day... it also has ascorbic acid vitamin c - which can upset the horses stomach lining. Exceed 6-way contains Yucca, which you need to be careful in horses that already have joint issues, it can increase inflammation in some horses.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Try the search at the top right since people have commented on this quite a bit before. You'll probably find some good feedback.
Edited to add: Thank you for the above info.
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

ClassicTouchEquine

Postby ClassicTouchEquine » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:11 pm

I ditto to Recovery..

it is an amazing product that seems to work on every horse that it is put on weather it be preventive or theraputic..... all of my horses are on it as well as my dog! it is amazing and is fairly cost effectient if purchase through a dealer rather than a store as us independent dealers do not mark it up as much as the stores. :-D

quaker

Postby quaker » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:36 pm

How have you found Recovery in helping to heal an already damaged tendon or ligament.... if it wasn't fed before the injury happened?

Jiterbug

Postby Jiterbug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Oxy-Gen just made Fluidity available in Canada! It replaces adaquan and legend in a natural product
in the form of an oral paste. No needles, no worries about side effects of the other products.
The results have been amazing!
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any direction"

cowgirl1

Postby cowgirl1 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Where would a person get the oxy-gen product at?

Jiterbug

Postby Jiterbug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 pm

cowgirl1 wrote:Where would a person get the oxy-gen product at?

www.oxy-genca.com or 866-571-7537
Dealers are listed on the site. Currently have dealers in SK & AB
Call the toll free for best shipping rates.
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any direction"

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 pm

You can click on their banner that will come up in the forum here or go to their website at http://www.oxy-genca.com Libi is a great supporter of this site.
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

lmf

Postby lmf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am

quaker wrote:How have you found Recovery in helping to heal an already damaged tendon or ligament.... if it wasn't fed before the injury happened?

My personal experience was this - my mare was not on Recovery, in Februay 2011 she was running in the pasture with the herd and someone nicked her hind leg and ripped a chunk of the SDFT right out, which was confirmed by ultrasound on the size and severity. 30 days post injury, ultrasound showed no regrowth of the tendon. That day I started her on Recovery. 30 days following that (60 days post injury) - the ultrasound showed the tendon was almost completely filled back in.

Was it recovery? was it luck? I really don't know but the difference in the results were enough to make me believe and keep her on it. Further research into WHY it may be the Recovery - helped confirm my feelings.

Back on Track products can also be extremely useful in tendon/ligament injuries, especially in the lower legs where circulation is poor anyway.

quaker

Postby quaker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

Thank you very much LMF, I'll give them a whirl. Sure doesn't hurt at this point since I've tried other things to no avail. And my vet says "it will just take time"..... I believe somethings gotta help.

lmf

Postby lmf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:12 am

You're welcome... good luck. My mare is 11 months post injury and we had full clearance to resume training in the fall. It's a long and tricky road with tendons so I wish you the very best!

mablerodeogirl

Postby mablerodeogirl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I love love love the Recovery EQ...Can't beat the quality of the ingredients or the price. Easy to use, just mix with their feed...Even my picky eater didn't turn up her nose. And they have so much science and tons of testimonials from happy customers that have used it for all kinds of benefits, joints, ligaments, skin issues, breathing problems, navicular, ringbone etc...Just go to there site to read about all the benefits.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”