What makes you call about a horse?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

della

What makes you call about a horse?

Postby della » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm

When you are looking at adds, what makes you want to call about a horse and go try it? I have an add on here and have not goten hardly any inquiries, he is a good horse, I think hes priced fair, and only for sale because im expecting. Any "add tips" would be very appricated.

louise

Re: What makes you call about a horse?

Postby louise » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 pm

GOOD QUESTION!

What would make me call would be first that I was actually looking to buy something and not just browsing around - which I tend to do, but I DO NOT make any inquiries unless I am serious, which I am afraid to say that a lot of people do - they ask questions, ask for photos and more info, when they usually don't have the money or really have no intention of actually buying anything. This kind of ruins it for those people that are serious . . .

I also have an ad up right now and have received 1 email from someone that I don't think was serious at all . . . Nothing at all wrong with the horse - really reasonably priced - we just have too many, which I think is the case for a lot of people . . . which means less people that are actually going to buy something. And of course you always receive the emails from the scammers.

The horse would have to be what I personally was looking for, which would vary from rider to rider. I am mostly concerned that the horse has the conformation I am looking for, the mind I am looking for, and can do the job that I need it to do.

I think, in today's market, the horse has to have something extra to even get noticed. If you search some of the ads the ones that are a "desireable color" usually have way more hits than a color like sorrel etc. Not that I agree with this, but when you look at the hits on the ads that is what is happening. My personal experience has been that if your horse is sorrel for example it has to have something extra to get noticed. Some people will not care about color, but a lot will.

A lot of people seem to be looking to get "something good for nothing", they are not willing to pay what the horse is worth even if the price is reasonable.

Way more horses for sale out there than there are buyers. And, of course, winter is usually a slower time for sales . . .

Good Luck - selling in today's market is a whole lot different than it was years ago.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:16 am

This is a really good post and I hope we get some more people chime in with their thoughts 8-)

I think there are a couple different kinds of people that buy horses - those that are actively looking for something in particular and those that find something they like when they weren't looking.

(before I go any further I just want to add I haven't put 2 and 2 together to see which ads are yours so my thoughts are just general).

If I am looking for something in particular, I'm probably easier to sell to IF you have what I'm looking for AND its within my price range. I will overlook a bad picture and a give the horse the benefit of the doubt if there are a few things that don't line up with what I'm looking for.

For me, I don't usually seek out a horse to buy. I have all the horses I "need" BUT - Sometimes stumble across something that catches my eye and happen to have enough money to buy it (or have the ability to sell something to come up with it). Where there is a will there is a way!

Where I'm going with this is don't overlook the people that weren't actually looking..... we get thousands of hits to this site every day, they aren't all looking to buy a horse today....... BUT if you catch their eye they might be interested or know someone who is.

How do you catch my eye? HAVE AN AWESOME PICTURE
Scroll down the list of ads like you are browsing......which horses make you stop and read? The ones with a good picture. If the advertiser puts up a bad picture of a nice horse it makes it so much harder to sell. You can make your horse look BETTER or WORSE with just the picture alone. You have to have a pretty darn nice horse to sell it with a bad picture (or luck out that a potential buyer lives close to you).

People are getting used to technology being slick and I have found that people are less willing to travel. They want pictures and video before they will drive more than an hour to look (this could be a bit of an exaggeration).

When I write the text part I will think of the horses positive attributes and build sentences around that. If he has won stuff, I'd list that. If its a prospect I'd name some of the accomplishments of the parents (grandparents etc.). Don't assume just because your horse is sired by Docs Paradise everyone knows who that is (plus the more pedigrees and accomplishments you list the better the chance google will find you).

I avoid saying who I think the horse would be suited to. I find that can narrow out buyers by labeling the horse. When they call or email I can ask about the rider and tell them about what my horse is like and let the buyer decide if the horse is suited. More than once I've been successful match ups that I wouldn't have expected.

I try and avoid putting negatives in the ad. I wouldn't write, does not buck, prance or have any other bad habits. I would just not even go there. When I scan that all I see is buck and prance (you don't want those words associated with your horse.....so just don't say them....it is natural for our minds to not see the nots and don'ts)

On the topic of Spam/Scam emails have any of you gotten any in the last week? I had a program installed on the database to block the countries these people work from. Is it working? I haven't gotten any on my saddle since (but its sold) so I can't tell for sure.

Others that read this please chime in on what makes you inquire?

della wrote:A lot of people seem to be looking to get "something good for nothing", they are not willing to pay what the horse is worth even if the price is reasonable.

One more thing.... I want to add to this. I agree - and part of the problem is that there are those deals out there where people do sell the horses for less than they are worth because either they don't know what they are worth or they just really need to move the horse (for one reason or another). Its a buyers market right now.

You know what they say...... "A horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay"
We could have a whole other post of pricing horses....
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

della

Postby della » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am

Great Responses Thank you!
For scames I have not gotten any latley - thank goodnes lol!! So it must be working, so that is good.
This is my add, http://www.rodeoclassifieds.com/categor ... lding.html
I put alot of thought into it, and was very honest about him, maybe im not talking him up enfough. And the price was really hard to come up with, everbody that knows him thinks its a very fair price, but of course they are not looking for a horse lol!! I also said i would work on price or lease to the right person. Like i said originaly I am selling him because he just going to be sitting around with the new baby, so a lease would be ok with me as well, he really came into his own last summer and is so confident its a shame to let him sit right now. I said he can run 20 sec poles, that was his average he got into the 19 a couple of times but its been so long i did not want to brag on something that hapened years ago. I was also thinking about maybe puting a confo picture up of him but i dont have one on hand and hes fat and fuzzy right now. I think his biggest weeaknes is hes a grade, and everbody sais papers dont matter until you try to sell them one. And hes a sorrel lol, but a paint sorrel!!
Thank you very much for your tips.

dream_chaser

Postby dream_chaser » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 pm

This was a great topic, we all have our frustrating moments when selling horses.....:mrgreen:
BELIEVE

teamroper

Postby teamroper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Might want to put a picture of just the horse without a saddle. A competition picture is good but can't see much of the confirmation in that type of picture. Only a suggestion.

rtees3

Postby rtees3 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:22 pm

the video feature is a big one for me. If there's a video posted thats great. Often just by watching the video I can tell if the horse's style would work with me or not. Also, I think that the fact that it is winter might be a big reason for not a lot of interest. Generally, not as many people are as interested until spring/summer.

warr

Postby warr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:53 pm

Personally, I love videos. I'd say they are the seller's best tool. It lets you see how the horse's moves, head carriage, speed control, etc if there is some thought put into the video. You just get a better sense of how the horse is to handle. I will take a long drive on the strength of a video I like.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:57 am

We're going to do and "ad makeover" this week....

In the meantime, keep up with your great ideas.
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

Girl

Postby Girl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Picture and the basics,

We sold a horse within 3 days, and by the 2nd day the ad was up I was booking appointments into the next week.

The thing is picture – make sure the horse is bathed and polished like he/she was going into a show.

2nd is the ad take out the emotional attachment (name ect.) buyers need to know if it is a fit and what the horse is capable of.
The ad should really leave no questions.

For me personally – I hate not knowing the following basic info.
1. Price (are you are scared to show the price???? – for most people there is a budget and requesting a simple price is just not worth it when you can click to the next ad)
2. Height/ age/ breeding /sex
3. What has the horse accomplished (not what you think it can do!)

And I know as buyers we get angry with tire kickers :evil: or people that think if the put down the animal they might get it cheaper :evil: :evil: or my personal favorite the ones that come out and want to ride the horse into the ground to get a ‘feel for it’.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

The thing that helps me is
1. Know when to say thank you please get off the horse unfortunately you are not a fit –thanks (you never need to sell a horse that bad)
2. there are so many back door sellers out there that call a 3 year old green broke horse ‘the perfect kids horse’ and want $10,000 – and some unknowing family ends up getting stuck with a mess they can not ride or sell – or a horse that does not have the papers that they said it does. Or is even the breed they claimed it was.
So selling or buying there is sh&%y people – hopefully we can deal with the nice ones and still manage to be pleasant :Sun:

nancyrodeo

Postby nancyrodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I wouldn't call about a horse if the price and location aren't listed in the ad. Also, needs to have a really good picture - can't believe some of the pictures people put on their ads, usually taken with a cell phone and horse is standing correctly or the picture is taken from a bad angle. Videos are amazing, although I want to see a recent one, not one from 4 years ago.
"I don't make the same mistake twice - I'm too busy making new ones" - Ray Hunt

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Great feedback you guys.

Here is a before and after of "della's" ad. Once she gets pictures we'll get it back up again. One thing we need to add is his height. His price will be added to the actual ad. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

BEFORE:
JD is a 10 year old unregistered paint gelding. He is very solid and consistent in barrels, I have ran him in CARA and he placed this past summer. He still has room to improve, as he still has more speed to bring to the arena. He is very quite in the waiting area and in the ally and walks back to the trailer after his run. He is a soft, nice horse to ride. He does not go past barrels and never hits them, he has hit one his entire life and I steered him right at it. He will run hard to a closed gate and stop on a dime, no cheat at all in him. He will work the same on every ground and he loves the mud.
He is also a very very good pole horse I have not ran him in poles for some time but he can clock 20 sec, just snakes through them and never hits them.
I use him to do a lot of cattle work at home, pasture moving, gathering, sorting processing, and calving.
Can also be roped off, pasture roping, has been used in the branding pen and you can head off him, he's not a beginner rope horse he is good in the box but very aggressive really pushes the barrier. He also needs to be scored and have slow steers between competition runs.
Used in grand entrees and to chase stock out of the arena
Willing to make a deal on price or lease!
Call or e-mail for more info or videos.

-------------
AFTER

Barrels, Poles and Ranch Work - VIDEO

Very solid and consistent barrel horse, but still has room to improve. He's just coming into his own with more speed to bring to the arena. I placed at CARA rodeos on him in 2011. Level headed horse that will wait quietly before a run and walk back to the trailer quietly. JD is an 11 year old grade gelding that is a soft, nice horse to ride. You'll see in his videos he is very honest on the pattern. Makes the same trip on different types of ground and loves the mud!

He is also a very smooth, honest pole horse that runs 20 second times effortlessly (he's even ran some 19's). Perfect horse for a high school or college girl to take the lead in the year end pole bending. He leaves them standing and is fast!

JD is also reliable on the ranch. He has been used for cattle work at home, pasture moving, gathering, sorting processing, and calving. We have also roped off of JD. He's been used for pasture roping, has been used in the branding pen and you can head off him. He is good in the box, but leaves hard. Works best when you can score him between competition runs.

JD has also been used in grand entries and used at rodeos to chase stock out of the arena. This is a great horse I want to see get used. I'm selling because I'm pregnant. Willing to make a deal on the price or lease him.

Check out some of his barrel runs on my facebook page (you don't have to be a member to see). Click link

Feel free to call or email for more info.

della

Postby della » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 pm

This has been great! I have learnt alot, I have one question
What do you like to see in a video, Im pretty limited as im not riding right now, but idealy, what would the video include.
Right now i just have a link to a bunch of his runs form the summer, Is that good, or would one video with the runs edeted togther in a timly fashon, ie no wating, just starting at his aproach and ending when he corses the eye (not wating for the time to be said) Do you like to see anything else, I think idealy a roping run, and a pole run, but i dont have thoes would be nice as well, what about loping a circle, or is that more for prospects to see how they move?
You all have been great thank you so much, and i did take pictures today, but i dont know if they will pass the test! It is way harder than it looks to take a GOOD picture of a horse, who would have every thought that!
Thanks again for all of your input!

k2farms

Postby k2farms » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:58 am

I still think the ad is too long and gets into repetitive detail. There are some grammar mistakes.
Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting!!!

louise

Postby louise » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 am

Photos and/or video of the horse doing his job and just of the horse itself.
One thing that irritates me is a photo of a barrel horse turning a barrel and no other photos, or a reining horse sliding and no other photos - If I am considering buying a horse I also want to see what it looks like.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”