WPRA Dress Code Rule Change

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

randa

WPRA Dress Code Rule Change

Postby randa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:43 am

"The WPRA dresscode has officially been changed to long sleeved, collared, button or snap up shirts and jeans without holes, western boots and cowboy hat."

The CPRA will be changing the LBR dress code to follow suit with the WPRA.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

admin
Site Admin

Re: WPRA Dress Code Rule Change

Postby admin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm

I think you should have put mandatory fringe in there just to see if anyone noticed :-)

What do you guys think of this? From what I've been reading around the net it is fairly welcomed, but will mean new wardrobes for some....
I wonder how the holey jeans sales will be now? :think:
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

randa

Postby randa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 pm

admin wrote:I think you should have put mandatory fringe in there just to see if anyone noticed :-)

What do you guys think of this? From what I've been reading around the net it is fairly welcomed, but will mean new wardrobes for some....
I wonder how the holey jeans sales will be now? :think:

Haha! :-D

fanofElvis

Postby fanofElvis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Hmmm I kinda think it may be a bit of a step backwards and a little bit stringent. While I agree maybe the rules were bent and pushed a little to far I think there were alot of really nice long-sleeved shirts out there that portrayed the western way of life and our heritage without the cuff and collars. I think sponsors can understand that fashions trend and change and that we as barrel racers are still cowgirls and horse-woman even if we are trendy. Sure I can get behind the no holes in the jeans thing theres a level of professionalism there but I think this rule is a hair on the extreme side of things. :think:

randa

Postby randa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 pm

fanofElvis wrote:Hmmm I kinda think it may be a bit of a step backwards and a little bit stringent. While I agree maybe the rules were bent and pushed a little to far I think there were alot of really nice long-sleeved shirts out there that portrayed the western way of life and our heritage without the cuff and collars. I think sponsors can understand that fashions trend and change and that we as barrel racers are still cowgirls and horse-woman even if we are trendy. Sure I can get behind the no holes in the jeans thing theres a level of professionalism there but I think this rule is a hair on the extreme side of things. :think:

But we are ALL contestants in the rodeo arena...why is there even a separate dress code for the women?

beckers5

Postby beckers5 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 am

randa wrote: But we are ALL contestants in the rodeo arena...why is there even a separate dress code for the women?

I don't think we should have a separate dress code either, and have never really gotten behind the whole "long sleeved" t-shirt thing but I do have a few shirts with zippers instead of buttons or snaps that I hoped would be considered appropriate... One of them is my lucky shirt too :lol:

fanofElvis

Postby fanofElvis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 am

I just want to put this out there that I am fairly neutral in this subject. In and woman's wear has always differed and we have been more flashy more glittery and fringy. Colored jeans are the perfect example, I never saw a man wear red or bright yellow jeans. (may they rest in pieces in the rag bag in the shop). You would never see a man in blingy jeans nor does he want to be. Has Wrangler or Cinch designed a shirt that a man would wear in the arena in place of his collar and button? If they were allowed would they do it would they?

I guess my other idea is that over time fashion changes and evolves and trends come and go. While I agree we need regulations and guidelines in place to make sure we do not get to slack and unprofessional in our dress maybe the whole shirt collar button thing is kinda limiting. What about those shirts girls wear that have a cuff, collar but no buttons. They are essentially the show shirts that have been adapted.

I also just want to mention all I own is button, collars and cuffs. The very odd time I have worn the long sleeves but I saw the NFR and LOVED some of then. If I were a tiny size I would totally do it.

can_chaiser

Postby can_chaiser » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 am

randa wrote:
fanofElvis wrote:Hmmm I kinda think it may be a bit of a step backwards and a little bit stringent. While I agree maybe the rules were bent and pushed a little to far I think there were alot of really nice long-sleeved shirts out there that portrayed the western way of life and our heritage without the cuff and collars. I think sponsors can understand that fashions trend and change and that we as barrel racers are still cowgirls and horse-woman even if we are trendy. Sure I can get behind the no holes in the jeans thing theres a level of professionalism there but I think this rule is a hair on the extreme side of things. :think:

But we are ALL contestants in the rodeo arena...why is there even a separate dress code for the women?

I do believe that western attire is a uniform and that as rodeo athletes we should be proud to wear it. Women's tennis player's, ladies golfer's proudly wear their skirts when I am sure they would rather wear shorts. Similar as to most barrel racers would rather wear a differnt top rather than an a cuffed and collared shirt.

I think as barrel racers, and athletes in our sport we should be proud to wear western attire. These companies that produce and manufacture western shirts are the major sponsors that you see at events whether it local, provincial, canadian or international levels of competition. Not to say that the companies that make long sleeved t-shirts don't or aren't the same companies. But these companies are the ones that often times make the events possible and as "consumers" and athlete's do we not want to support companies that support us?

Postby 1234 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I guess it is what it is. I think the long t's were so popular because they are super comfy to run in. No worries about having your buttons or snaps ripped open & they worked well with the lower waist on alot of the jeans these days. I think we may see some new exciting things from the manufactures within this dress code though. They are usually fairly good at making changes to taste & demands, so lets hope for that:)
I might add; I'm super curious how many other organizations are going to adapt their rules similar to this?

randa

Postby randa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 pm

1234 wrote:I guess it is what it is. I think the long t's were so popular because they are super comfy to run in. No worries about having your buttons or snaps ripped open & they worked well with the lower waist on alot of the jeans these days. I think we may see some new exciting things from the manufactures within this dress code though. They are usually fairly good at making changes to taste & demands, so lets hope for that:)
I might add; I'm super curious how many other organizations are going to adapt their rules similar to this?

I may be wrong but I believe that the WPRA and CPRA are the only rodeo associations that allowed long sleeve t's. Anyone else know? FCA, CRA, CCA, BCRA etc?

weder

Postby weder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:04 pm

LRA stipulates cuff and collar, but the WRA only stipulates "long sleeved", so that could be taken as a long-sleeved t-shirt, I would assume.

While I agree with cuff and collar, I think the "snap or button up" is the extreme. Like a couple girls said, what about the zip-ups? Or, I have a few pull over style with french cuff and collar, which I dare say look a heck of a lot nicer and more professional than some of the button up or snap shirts I have seen. I have also had a number of people comment on how classy the shirts look. So why, just because they are a pull-over style, should I not be allowed to wear them? I don't think I look any less "western" than if I was wearing the same shirt but with buttons up the front.

And on the note of buttons and snaps, how professional does it look when a girl gets her shirt caught on the horn and it rips open, for all the crowd to see? Certainly has happened once or twice...... :lol:

laurie

Postby laurie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 am

I am glad that they are getting stricter again; I have seen some nice solid cuff and collar shirts without snaps or buttons, but on the other end of the spectrum, I have see ladies wearing waffle knit underwear shirts.....which were terrible and not very nice or professional.

katiemac

Postby katiemac » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am

CCA States:

“Any contestant member not wearing proper western attire, including long sleeved shirt with collar, with sleeves rolled down, boots and cowboy hat in the rodeo arena and working area of rodeo during the one hour prior to, and one hour after rodeo time and during the paid and slack performances will be fined $25.00. Judges and CCA directors may levy this fine. "

This might be getting too particular, but what about if your wearing a traditional white cuff and collar shirt with say a black sweater vest over top?
Does that count as non-attire?

Aurea

Postby Aurea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 am

FCA is cuffs and collars.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

katiemac wrote:CCA States:

“Any contestant member not wearing proper western attire, including long sleeved shirt with collar, with sleeves rolled down, boots and cowboy hat in the rodeo arena and working area of rodeo during the one hour prior to, and one hour after rodeo time and during the paid and slack performances will be fined $25.00. Judges and CCA directors may levy this fine. "

This might be getting too particular, but what about if your wearing a traditional white cuff and collar shirt with say a black sweater vest over top?
Does that count as non-attire?

That is ok to wear 8o) I wear sparkly tank tops over my button up shirts all the time.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”