Growing Tails?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Carmen

Growing Tails?

Postby Carmen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm

The terrible happened while I was home for Christmas holidays. I came back to my horses, which I hadn't seen in close to a month :shock: and my one horse's tail is gone! :cry: Well, it's not completely gone, but it is chopped off straight above his hocks. So, my question is, does anybody have any tips or tricks for growing a tail back out?? This horse is in with a younger horse, and I thought that maybe the young horse chewed it off. I am not sure that this is what happened, I just don't think my older horse would let the young horse do that, he is way to mean to him. Anyways, any help would be great! Thanks!
Luck; it's what is left over, after you give one hundred percent.

whisperer

Re: Growing Tails?

Postby whisperer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Coconut oil to moisturize and MTG to encourage growth. Try sheeting the tail or putting it in a tail bag. Wash it first and then square it off for evenness.

wheels2

Postby wheels2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 pm

MTG is suppose to work great carmen, I have been using it on my horses and their tails stay silky and managable for a long time, but be warned that they will smell like bacon lol. I would wash it, then put MTG in, put the bottom half of the tail in a loose 3 plate braid and then put a tail bag over it. Make sure to brush the braid out minimim once a week and then redo the braid and tail bag. Good luck :-D

karlaw

Postby karlaw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 pm

i use main and tail conditioner, braid it and keep it in a tail bag, it works like a charm

sleeper

Postby sleeper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:51 pm

We show reiners and it was actually a person from the arab show world that taught us this trick to growing long tails and thicken them.

Wash the tail well and when dry work in Micro-Tek (by eqyss) conditioner/builder (use to use MTG but this works way better but costs 3 times as much). You are going to braid the tail but before you start, make sure any hair that won't braid in well starting 2 inches below the dock is left loose. Make sure you braid it straight down and that there isn't any pieces that are pulling more than others. Once it is braided (do not put an elastic around the end) run some more micro-tek over it, roll it into a ball and take vetwrap (really use vetwrap not the other stuff as it will go gooey, also use a light color)take the end of your vetwrap and go lengthways over the ball and go through the hair just above the braid, do this a couple of times so that you have a good wrap lengthways and then continue to wrap it around horizontally making sure you wrap the whole tail ball up and cover the entire lengthways wraps. You won't have to touch this tail for months and I guarantee it will grow inches and be thicker. We were amazed with the results. Word of caution, do not panic when hair is hanging loose as it has pulled out or through time just fell out. This is normal. As well, remember you will have a pile of loose hair when you take the braid out as the old hair hasn't had anywheres to go. This works better than a tailbag or a straight braid as the hair cant rub on the tail bag and break nor does it get dry like it will in a braid. This technique holds the hair stable and also holds the conditioner in. We have seen growth of 2" in a month. Good luck!!

randa

Postby randa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I would do a skin test with the MTG - I have had 2 horses have reactions to it and their hair actually fell out!!! :shock:
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

louise

Postby louise » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 pm

randa wrote:I would do a skin test with the MTG - I have had 2 horses have reactions to it and their hair actually fell out!!! :shock:

Yes, horses that are sensitve to chemicals or just have sensitive skin could have a reaction to it. It is a petroleum based product so there are toxic petro chemicals in it. Might also be a good idea to also use gloves for yourself if you are using it a lot.

aqha_rodeo_cowgurl_07

Postby aqha_rodeo_cowgurl_07 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Yup totally agree with Randa, be careful with MTG I've seen some nasty reactions to it too.

I used to show in the quarter horse circuit so having that lush full, thick tail to the floor was a must. I found the trick to keeping the moisture locked in is using a big plastic garbage bag. That plastic bag was a trick I picked up from another trainer about 15 years ago and works real slick. So when my guys need to be redone, they get washed (maybe twice depending how oily/dirty) with Riovista shampoo then rinse very well around their dock (having another set of hands is helpfull to get any residue out). I stopped using any type of conditioner as I found it left like a film, didnt matter how well I rinsed it out so instead, while the tail is damp and before you comb is out, I use Showsheen Moisturizing Detangler. I use about the size of a toonie and use my fingers to work into their tail starting close to the dock and all the way down. I will use the same amount again if I run out to make sure I have coverage all the way to the bottom. Once I'm done that, I use a comb to gently take out any tangles. Something I cringe when I see people using hard plastic brushes on their horses tails, ripping clobs of hair out and then they ask me how come mine look gorgeous lol. And I always start at the bottom and work my way up to work tangles out, never start at the top because all you'll end up doing is ripping more hair out. Once air dried, I will cut a good two inches off the bottom to get rid of dead ends (I only trim once every few months not every time). Start slightly below the dock and braid all the way down, take my large clear garbage bag and tie it into the tail where the braid started (I do make sure its good and snug), you do have to push the air out sometimes lol, then that goes into my tail bag. I got tired of buying tail bags as they are so expensive so I found a canvas type material at Fabric Land and I believe I can have 30 tail bags made with ties on them for about $50.00 And mine are left for about 3 weeks and I loose literally zero hair when I redo them. Lets see if I can upload a picture of my retired show gelding when I took his out before washing this fall. And the bay was before he went to a trainer (had to cut off 8 inches)

Funny I dont show anymore just rodeo and I just cant bring myself to not bag their tails lol.

Play2Win

Postby Play2Win » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:51 pm

sleeper wrote:We show reiners and it was actually a person from the arab show world that taught us this trick to growing long tails and thicken them.

Wash the tail well and when dry work in Micro-Tek (by eqyss) conditioner/builder (use to use MTG but this works way better but costs 3 times as much). You are going to braid the tail but before you start, make sure any hair that won't braid in well starting 2 inches below the dock is left loose. Make sure you braid it straight down and that there isn't any pieces that are pulling more than others. Once it is braided (do not put an elastic around the end) run some more micro-tek over it, roll it into a ball and take vetwrap (really use vetwrap not the other stuff as it will go gooey, also use a light color)take the end of your vetwrap and go lengthways over the ball and go through the hair just above the braid, do this a couple of times so that you have a good wrap lengthways and then continue to wrap it around horizontally making sure you wrap the whole tail ball up and cover the entire lengthways wraps. You won't have to touch this tail for months and I guarantee it will grow inches and be thicker. We were amazed with the results. Word of caution, do not panic when hair is hanging loose as it has pulled out or through time just fell out. This is normal. As well, remember you will have a pile of loose hair when you take the braid out as the old hair hasn't had anywheres to go. This works better than a tailbag or a straight braid as the hair cant rub on the tail bag and break nor does it get dry like it will in a braid. This technique holds the hair stable and also holds the conditioner in. We have seen growth of 2" in a month. Good luck!!

I have seen this work and it is AMAZING.
Micro-Tek smells awesome too, I'm guilty of bringing mine in the house and using it in my hair sometimes. :lol:

ccg

Postby ccg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm

So what do you do for their manes, when they have rubbed them off on the bale feeder. When its to short to braid and wrap. 8o)

aqha_rodeo_cowgurl_07

Postby aqha_rodeo_cowgurl_07 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Let me know when you figure out how to grow manes cuz I would love to know lol
Jenn

sleeper

Postby sleeper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 am

We have had the odd reiner rub there mane out on the fences and the Micro Tek just rubbed on 2 -3 times a week works great. It is a mane and tail builder and it works!

jr

Postby jr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:45 am

Can you buy Micro-Tek in Canada somewhere? If so where? Thanks

Kobaufarm

Postby Kobaufarm » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Ecolicious products are great also, all human grade, no chemicals... and bonus they smell awesome!!
8o)
2009 AQHA Palomino filly. Looking for the right person to help her meet her potential.
http://www.rodeoclassifieds.com/category/176/Prospects-For-Sale/listings/3363/Beauty,-conformation-and-potential.html

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”