Best Vets For Lameness Issues

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

cowhorse1

Best Vets For Lameness Issues

Postby cowhorse1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Looking for some advice…
I have an 8 year old AQHA gelding that has been sore (not really lame just off) since the middle of September on his right front. I have had him worked on (massage and chiropractic adjustment) and have had x-rays taken by our local vet (they showed nothing) but he is still sore. I am thinking about taking him to another clinic that has more advanced equipment and a vet that has more experience with equine lameness issues. I am debating between taking him to the U of S Large Animal Clinic or to a clinic in the Edmonton area as I live within 4 hours of both Saskatoon or Edmonton. Can you please share with me your experiences with clinics in either of these areas so I can make a more informed decision of where I should take him. Thanks in advance for your help on this.

k2farms

Re: Best Vets For Lameness Issues

Postby k2farms » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:42 pm

does he have a flat sole or a decent cup to his foot?
Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting!!!

Marissa

Postby Marissa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 pm

I had really good luck with Dr. Huggins at Westwind Vet Clinic by Sherwood Park. My gelding has had to have 2 surgeries (for 2 separate issues) and they diagnosed him right away (after 2 other vets could not pin point the problem) and got him in for surgery promptly. Highly recommend.
You can ride a fast horse slow, but you can't ride a slow horse fast!

Kary

Postby Kary » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I pm'd you.

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 pm

I've tried to PM you but with no success...could you try to contact me?

louise

Postby louise » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:58 pm

I haven't used Edmonton, so can't really say what they are like, but I have heard that people get good results there, costly though . . .
As far as the U of S, we haven't had good luck there in them actually finding a lameness problem unless is it glaringly obvious. They do a lot of tests and come up with nothing - the horse is 3 legged lame . . . called a friend that is a massage/chiro/vet tech/nutritional consultant, chinese medicine person with a lot of training in a lot of different areas - she nailed it down over the phone and later looked at him and confirmed it. We followed her protocol and he is now on 4 legs and looking pretty good at that . . .

U of S didn't charge us full price for everything since they couldn't find the problem though - so they were not really expensive . . .

am

Postby am » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 pm

PM'd you

LT

Postby LT » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I pm'd you
Thanks,

LT

texasjoey

Postby texasjoey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 am

Dr. Scott at Moore and Co. Equine(Calgary) specializes in all types of lameness. I've had really good results there and so have several other barrel racers..

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”