founder/laminitis

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

ropenrun

founder/laminitis

Postby ropenrun » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Has anyone had experience with reversing founder as in raising the coffin bone back up?? Any experiences would be helpful, currently have the horse wearing soft boot orthotics but that is not a solution just a bandaid.

quaker

Re: founder/laminitis

Postby quaker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:01 pm

pm'd you

cisco

Postby cisco » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:06 am

Isoxoprine and a fantastic farrier!
until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened

QUICKS101

Postby QUICKS101 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 am

The only way I know how is by corrective shoeing, and x rays. You can pm me and I will go into more depth

huey

Postby huey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:29 pm

I totally agree with Cisco. pain relief, great farrier and lock them up. Keep their concentrates to a minimum.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

Galaxy

Postby Galaxy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Do you know if you can feed them grain? I've got a horse with rotated coffin bones, his grass intake May-July is monitored but otherwise he's on pasture full time; just wondering what you gals are feeding them?

cisco

Postby cisco » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:56 pm

It depends on why your horse has rotated coffin bones. Are they rotated due to foundering caused by feed? Or due to laminitis for another reason (drugs, trauma)? If its due to feed founder, then we feed a grass hay, trying to keep alfalfa/protein levels down. If the horse seems to need more to keep the pounds on, then beet pulp is great, as well as flax or rice bran or other added fats, plus a good mineral program.

peanutbutterskunk

Postby peanutbutterskunk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:23 pm

My gelding foundered in 09. He has a grain free diet and same as you stated grazing is monitored in the spring and then he is out on it most of the time. He is a hard keeper at 22 so he gets Step Right Senior ration morning and evening.
"Riding is a lot like nuts and bolts. if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts."

Galaxy

Postby Galaxy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm

[quote="cisco"]It depends on why your horse has rotated coffin bones. Are they rotated due to foundering caused by feed? Or due to laminitis for another reason (drugs, trauma)? If its due to feed founder, then we feed a grass hay, trying to keep alfalfa/protein levels down. If the horse seems to need more to keep the pounds on, then beet pulp is great, as well as flax or rice bran or other added fats, plus a good mineral program.[/quote]

Hey Cisco I agree with you! Curious, what do you suggest for a "good" mineral program for a foundered horse?

cisco

Postby cisco » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:31 am

It really depends on the forage and supplement program you have your horse on. The minerals you use should be supplying what is missing in the rest of your feed program. If you're unsure, it is really best to have a nutritionalist out to help you balance your feed program, and send away a forage sample to see what you are lacking.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”