Canadian pro rodeo and American competitors

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Let'sRodeo

Canadian pro rodeo and American competitors

Postby Let'sRodeo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:43 pm

What do Canadians get out the Americans rodeoing up here?
I can see the Americans appeal.
Or rodeos pay well, they are closer together rather than driving across America in a week, and we have multiple pro rodeos per weekend.
Since pretty much ever rodeo is sanctioned they can qualify for the NFR as well as the CFR since it now takes Americans.
But what is Canadian competitors benefits.
Our own rodeos prefer to have Americans compete
Calgary was way for then majority American, Ponoka you now have to qualify for since the CPRA will not set the big name Americans up in their perfs. 
People trying to make enough money to fill their permit are having harder times which means less Canadian competitors in the future.
I understand you are only as good as your competition, but sometimes you need to protect your own. Out of the top 12 ladies in the CPRA 8 are American. 
I also wonder what the Canadian Sponsors think. All our Canadian money in heading south to help their economy  Think alone how much Canadian Corporate money went south during Calgary alone.

What is everyone's thoughts on having so many co sanctioned pro rodeos??

QUICKS101

Re: Canadian pro rodeo and American competitors

Postby QUICKS101 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:33 pm

I hear what you are saying, but I don't see why we should deny the Americans from competing up here, as Canadians can compete in PRCA, and make the NFR, just like any American. Look at all of the Canadian barrel racers, saddle bronc, bareback, steerwrestling, calf ropers, and bull riders that have made it to the NFR and have done well. Lindsay Sears, Rod Hay, Blaine Pederson, Leslie Schlosser (won the average), Lee Graves, The Cassidy family, and I know there are many more. These people could not have made the NFR if the American rodeos denied Canadians of competing. What is fair is fair

Let'sRodeo

Postby Let'sRodeo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:38 pm

We shouldn't NOT allow them to compete but you can most definetly can calm the numbers down by not sanctioning every pro rodeo. Right now in the top 12 in the Cpra standings in the timed
Event 54 % are American and $544 406.30 is won by Americans. I'm asking how is sanctioning all these rodeos with the pcra benefiting Canadian rodeo

randa

Postby randa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Let'sRodeo wrote:What do Canadians get out the Americans rodeoing up here?
I can see the Americans appeal.
Or rodeos pay well, they are closer together rather than driving across America in a week, and we have multiple pro rodeos per weekend.
Since pretty much ever rodeo is sanctioned they can qualify for the NFR as well as the CFR since it now takes Americans.
But what is Canadian competitors benefits.
Our own rodeos prefer to have Americans compete
Calgary was way for then majority American, Ponoka you now have to qualify for since the CPRA will not set the big name Americans up in their perfs. 
People trying to make enough money to fill their permit are having harder times which means less Canadian competitors in the future.
I understand you are only as good as your competition, but sometimes you need to protect your own. Out of the top 12 ladies in the CPRA 8 are American. 
I also wonder what the Canadian Sponsors think. All our Canadian money in heading south to help their economy  Think alone how much Canadian Corporate money went south during Calgary alone.

What is everyone's thoughts on having so many co sanctioned pro rodeos??

Each and every member of the CPRA has to buy a membership so that alone brings in alot of money. Think of how much revenue would leave the CPRA if the US members quit coming up here.
Do you really think they are rodeoing up here for the reason that there are several a weekend? There are over 600 rodeos in the US and we have less than 50.
Every rodeo in Canada is NOT PRCA approved that is up to the individual rodeo to send in a application to the PRCA to get approval it has nothing to do with the CPRA.
More contestants = more money
Calgary Stampede is NOT A SANCTIONED CPRA OR PRCA event so it doesn't matter what they do....they make their own rules
I am not sure what you mean by the Ponoka comment? In every event except LBR's it has always been that you had to qualify and this year it went the same in the LBR's. It had nothing to do with Canadians or Americans....
As for the sponsor and committees I can say that they like ALL the contestants regardless of where they are from - but the big names sell tickets.
Do I agree with the qualifications to the CFR? No, but that is a work in progress but also how do you justify telling someone that they have to buy a membership but they are not allowed to go to the finals because of where they orignate from? If I buy a FCA, CCA, WRA, LRA etc (you get the point) they don't say that you cannot attend the finals because you live somewhere else....
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

randa

Postby randa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Let'sRodeo wrote:We shouldn't NOT allow them to compete but you can most definetly can calm the numbers down by not sanctioning every pro rodeo. Right now in the top 12 in the Cpra standings in the timed
Event 54 % are American and $544 406.30 is won by Americans. I'm asking how is sanctioning all these rodeos with the pcra benefiting Canadian rodeo

This has to be looked at from the point of view from all aspects not just the contestant. Does it benefit the committee, association AND contestant...more members = more $$ for everyone involved.

And like I stated before every rodeo is not sanctioned PRCA. That is up to the individual committee to pay the approval fees with the PRCA. It has nothing to do with the CPRA.

barnsonc

Postby barnsonc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 pm

I am glad that this discussion has arisen because I think there is a lot more to this. My goal here is definitely not to criticize anyone or any association,(it is hard not to become somewhat emotional though when rodeo has been such a huge part of my life and my family's ) as a matter of fact I am in the process of drafting a letter of concern to the CPRA myself for the following reasons. I think we should all be able to talk about this in a tactful and respectful manner with open minds. Obviously we can not limit the CPRA membership to Canadians as having some CPRA rodeos count towards the NFR also helps our Canadians out. But we can keep our Canadian Finals for Canadians only like it used to be. This may not be everyone's opinion but here is another way to look at the present situation.
I was also quite disappointed to see the very few Canadians in our Barrel racing and tie-down roping standings. THe negative fall out from our Canadians being pushed out of the money and the standings is that some of these PRO cowboys and cowgirls are now competing at the CCA rodeos and also those that have been dual approved by the CRA. If you are a PRO cowboy or cowgirl then that is where you belong. My second son entered his first amateur rodeo in the tie-down roping this year at Foremost rodeo and guess who shows up? Pro cowboys who have been to the CFR last year and in very recent years. Is this fair to him? THis is where he is suppose to start and not have to compete against the PROS until he is ready, why do they think that it is OK to show up there?
Now I can understand their thinking, if they are going to let me enter, and I am not winning too much at the Pro rodeos then why not right? WRONG!
YOU ARE A PRO ACT LIKE ONE! This means rodeo where you should be rodeoing and have some self respect. But when you look at the results of the Pro rodeos and you do not see Canadians in the money, you have to think that they are starving out a bit. Now if the Canadian finals were limited to Canadian citizens then at least the pros would have the CFR to look forward to having a chance at some very good money. Then maybe they would stay away from our teenagers in amateur rodeos who are just starting out. THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF RODEO IF YOU WANT ANY FUTURE IN THIS SPORT PLAY BY THE RULES.
Now if anyone wants to start up with the right to work crap, ya that is exactly what it is is crap.( again my opinion) I held my pro card for quite a few years, made the CFR 4 times and won it one year,but not once did I go back and forth from the pros to the amateurs and I did not have a sponsor either. When I had to get a JOB I turned my card in and now I want my kids to have a fair chance. I have been around long enough to know that the draws are not as fair as they used to be, and you are turning a blind eye if you think I am wrong.
Lately I have witnessed quite a few young cowboys try their hand at the pros and have quickly returned to the amateurs due to in their opinion a very obvious catering to the Americans. All contestants should be treated the same and fairly. Is this what we Canadians want, an all American rodeo circuit catering to helping them make "our" Canadian Finals.
Truth of the matter is they are very tough competitors and that is all great, but what about our own great cowboys and cowgirls, why can't we have something special just for them? Seriously, the total number of Canadian Timed event and barrel racers making it to the NFR is very small compared to the total number competitors so whether you want to believe it or not, not too many are in that league or want to haul that hard which ever way you see it.
I don't really think the general public understands what is really going on here and I can not see them being very happy to hear about the truth of the matter. What do you think people would say if NHL players were allowed to jump back in forth between the NHL and the WHL? If fans want to see the very best in the world they go to the NFR, they can see the best of Canada at the CFR.
Competition is one thing but let our youngsters prepare themselves first at their own level. And no it does not just make them try harder, many of them can not afford to go on unless they can win something once in awhile.They do not all have rich parents!! Sometimes the winners forget that it takes all the contestants' money to make the pot bigger and if the bottom end does not even have a chance, they will quit going. Instead of focussing on selling memberships to Americans, why not focus on encouraging our own up and coming cowboys and cowgirls to become members of the CPRA, building the foundation of Professional Rodeo in Canada for the next generation. If the door continues to be slammed on our own Canadian contestants, professional rodeo in Canada will eventually die out and one day be under the PRCA as a northern circuit.
So my solution would be to co-approve the CPRA rodeos with the PRCA and WPRA but keep the Canadian Finals for Canadian Citizens so that our Canadian Champions are Canadians. CPRA members need to act as Professionals in their sport and not compete at amateur rodeos.
cb

randa

Postby randa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:09 am

barnsonc wrote:I am glad that this discussion has arisen because I think there is a lot more to this. My goal here is definitely not to criticize anyone or any association,(it is hard not to become somewhat emotional though when rodeo has been such a huge part of my life and my family's ) as a matter of fact I am in the process of drafting a letter of concern to the CPRA myself for the following reasons. I think we should all be able to talk about this in a tactful and respectful manner with open minds. Obviously we can not limit the CPRA membership to Canadians as having some CPRA rodeos count towards the NFR also helps our Canadians out. But we can keep our Canadian Finals for Canadians only like it used to be. This may not be everyone's opinion but here is another way to look at the present situation.
I was also quite disappointed to see the very few Canadians in our Barrel racing and tie-down roping standings. THe negative fall out from our Canadians being pushed out of the money and the standings is that some of these PRO cowboys and cowgirls are now competing at the CCA rodeos and also those that have been dual approved by the CRA. If you are a PRO cowboy or cowgirl then that is where you belong. My second son entered his first amateur rodeo in the tie-down roping this year at Foremost rodeo and guess who shows up? Pro cowboys who have been to the CFR last year and in very recent years. Is this fair to him? THis is where he is suppose to start and not have to compete against the PROS until he is ready, why do they think that it is OK to show up there?
Now I can understand their thinking, if they are going to let me enter, and I am not winning too much at the Pro rodeos then why not right? WRONG!
YOU ARE A PRO ACT LIKE ONE! This means rodeo where you should be rodeoing and have some self respect. But when you look at the results of the Pro rodeos and you do not see Canadians in the money, you have to think that they are starving out a bit. Now if the Canadian finals were limited to Canadian citizens then at least the pros would have the CFR to look forward to having a chance at some very good money. Then maybe they would stay away from our teenagers in amateur rodeos who are just starting out. THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF RODEO IF YOU WANT ANY FUTURE IN THIS SPORT PLAY BY THE RULES.
Now if anyone wants to start up with the right to work crap, ya that is exactly what it is is crap.( again my opinion) I held my pro card for quite a few years, made the CFR 4 times and won it one year,but not once did I go back and forth from the pros to the amateurs and I did not have a sponsor either. When I had to get a JOB I turned my card in and now I want my kids to have a fair chance. I have been around long enough to know that the draws are not as fair as they used to be, and you are turning a blind eye if you think I am wrong.
Lately I have witnessed quite a few young cowboys try their hand at the pros and have quickly returned to the amateurs due to in their opinion a very obvious catering to the Americans. All contestants should be treated the same and fairly. Is this what we Canadians want, an all American rodeo circuit catering to helping them make "our" Canadian Finals.
Truth of the matter is they are very tough competitors and that is all great, but what about our own great cowboys and cowgirls, why can't we have something special just for them? Seriously, the total number of Canadian Timed event and barrel racers making it to the NFR is very small compared to the total number competitors so whether you want to believe it or not, not too many are in that league or want to haul that hard which ever way you see it.
I don't really think the general public understands what is really going on here and I can not see them being very happy to hear about the truth of the matter. What do you think people would say if NHL players were allowed to jump back in forth between the NHL and the WHL? If fans want to see the very best in the world they go to the NFR, they can see the best of Canada at the CFR.
Competition is one thing but let our youngsters prepare themselves first at their own level. And no it does not just make them try harder, many of them can not afford to go on unless they can win something once in awhile.They do not all have rich parents!! Sometimes the winners forget that it takes all the contestants' money to make the pot bigger and if the bottom end does not even have a chance, they will quit going. Instead of focussing on selling memberships to Americans, why not focus on encouraging our own up and coming cowboys and cowgirls to become members of the CPRA, building the foundation of Professional Rodeo in Canada for the next generation. If the door continues to be slammed on our own Canadian contestants, professional rodeo in Canada will eventually die out and one day be under the PRCA as a northern circuit.
So my solution would be to co-approve the CPRA rodeos with the PRCA and WPRA but keep the Canadian Finals for Canadian Citizens so that our Canadian Champions are Canadians. CPRA members need to act as Professionals in their sport and not compete at amateur rodeos.

I think you should write your letter to the CPRA :)

I do want to point out one or two things....
(1) it is not up to the CPRA whether someone goes to other rodeoes or not that is up to the other association. It was getting pretty expensive everytime someone decidede to SUE the association for the right to work and it seemed they were willing to sue in order to go back and forth.
(2) comparing rodeo to the NHL is like comparing apples to oranges.....when we start getting paid to play then we can discuss this further.
(3) it is part of the PRCA/CPRA agreement that they are allowed to come to the CFR. This was put forward by the PRCA and they would not budge - and losing the PRCA approvals for the committees/rodeos/contestants was not an option at the time.

Like I stated above you have to look at the WHOLE picture - this isn't just about rodeo contestants this is about town/committees/stock contractors/contestants - EVERYONE IN RODEO is involved not just the contestants.

Not saying I agree or disagree with it - but I will say that once I bought my card I have not rodeoed anywhere else but CPRA.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 am

I have a question of my own.

Why is it that it is mainly the Tie Down and LBR's that is overloaded?

kw

Postby kw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 am

I think this is a very interesting discussion and am glad to see it is staying professional. I think I lot of people discuss this behind closed doors and it is good to see other peoples opinion. Some very interesting points have been brought up.

In answer to Randa's question regarding the calf roping and barrel racing only be over loaded I have no answer :-) . I would think the rough stocks would be the events that have the most American's in as their cost to travel can be so much less and Canada has such fantasatic rough stock.

And while I am on the cost of travel lets remember yes the purse money goes into the competors pocket however, a lot of that money goes back into our economy. Fuel, hay, truck and trailer repairs, food, general shopping. Even with sponsors it is not a free ride for any rodeo contestant Canadian or American. I think if the contestant is willing to haul the miles, pay the entry fees and is the best at that rodeo then they deserve to win.

And having said that my opinion, for behind closed doors, is I would like to see the Canadian Finals for Canadians only but that is just my opinion. I enjoy watching the best of the best compete.

Kim Welter
Caution, my mouth opens sometimes before my brain engages..............

Let'sRodeo

Postby Let'sRodeo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 am

(3) it is part of the PRCA/CPRA agreement that they are allowed to come to the CFR. This was put forward by the PRCA and they would not budge - and losing the PRCA approvals for the committees/rodeos/contestants was not an option at the time.

So it is ok to protect the committee and the association but not the contestant.

I you look at rodeo as a business
You can have the business(the association) and the employees(the committees). Everyone in those matters can be happy. But if you start to cater towards your out of town customers rather than your locals your business starts to get a bad name for itself. A business relies on its day to day local customers to make its profits. Yes the out of towners will stop in to buy something of they are going thru town because word has got out it gives good deals to them. But why happens wen down the road the business is in trouble. Or needs new employees. They have upset there pool of potentials so therefore noone will step up to take the responsibility.
A business cannot run without its customers. And a business disliked its it's own community cannot be successful even with out of towners dropping by.

I see rodeo much like a business. But sometime it starts to act like a club where you only get in when invited. Contestants are needed to have a rodeo above all else. Yes you need a association and a committee. But without contestants there is no entertainment. And to some it may be ok of or majority of Canadian contestants call it quits but what is that saying. We care about money more than we care about our own? It's ok to have a northern circuit on the prcas season Aslong as the big names show up. But then it is also ok to push out the no names and show them they arnt worth the audiences time. I wonder if the Cassidy family or lee graves would have made the nfr If when beginning they got out in the first run of a fresh pen up Thursday night having to take time off of work just because they weren't popular enough yet for a committe to want in a perf and every rodeo they lost to some American who seems to magically always draw up in the popular day with the good cattle.

KayeS

Postby KayeS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:26 am

At the moment it doesn't really bother me either way, but I thought this would be good food for thought:
If they treated Canada like a circuit.

8.8.2. Forty Percent (40%) 15 Rule
8.5.2.1. In order to satisfy the 40%/15 rule, a contestant
must comply with the following:
1.) If the contestant’s principal place of residence is
within her designated circuit, said contestant must compete
in either 40% of the rodeos within that circuit
(based on the total number of rodeos during the previous
rodeo year which held the particular event for which
the contestant seeks to become a CR contestant) or 15
rodeos with that event within the circuit, whichever is
less or;
2.) If the contestant’s principal place of residence is not
within her designated circuit, said contestant must compete
in either 40% of the rodeos within the circuit (based
on the total number of rodeos during the previous year
which held the particular event for which the contestant
seeks to become a CR contestant) or 15 rodeos with
that event within the circuit, whichever is greater (provided
that, if there are less that 15 rodeos with a particular
event in a circuit during a rodeo year a nonresident
must satisfy this rule if she competes in 100% of the
rodeos with that particular event in the circuit during that
rodeo year).
8.8.2.2. The number of rodeos entered on a permit will
count for the total number of rodeos entered, should the
permit member buy her card in that year.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:47 am

Let'sRodeo wrote:(3) it is part of the PRCA/CPRA agreement that they are allowed to come to the CFR. This was put forward by the PRCA and they would not budge - and losing the PRCA approvals for the committees/rodeos/contestants was not an option at the time.

So it is ok to protect the committee and the association but not the contestant.

I you look at rodeo as a business
You can have the business(the association) and the employees(the committees). Everyone in those matters can be happy. But if you start to cater towards your out of town customers rather than your locals your business starts to get a bad name for itself. A business relies on its day to day local customers to make its profits. Yes the out of towners will stop in to buy something of they are going thru town because word has got out it gives good deals to them. But why happens wen down the road the business is in trouble. Or needs new employees. They have upset there pool of potentials so therefore noone will step up to take the responsibility.
A business cannot run without its customers. And a business disliked its it's own community cannot be successful even with out of towners dropping by.

I see rodeo much like a business. But sometime it starts to act like a club where you only get in when invited. Contestants are needed to have a rodeo above all else. Yes you need a association and a committee. But without contestants there is no entertainment. And to some it may be ok of or majority of Canadian contestants call it quits but what is that saying. We care about money more than we care about our own? It's ok to have a northern circuit on the prcas season Aslong as the big names show up. But then it is also ok to push out the no names and show them they arnt worth the audiences time. I wonder if the Cassidy family or lee graves would have made the nfr If when beginning they got out in the first run of a fresh pen up Thursday night having to take time off of work just because they weren't popular enough yet for a committe to want in a perf and every rodeo they lost to some American who seems to magically always draw up in the popular day with the good cattle.

I wonder if the Cassidy family or lee graves would have made the nfr If when beginning they got out in the first run of a fresh pen up Thursday night having to take time off of work just because they weren't popular enough yet for a committe to want in a perf and every rodeo they lost to some American who seems to magically always draw up in the popular day with the good cattle

They did get first runs and slacks etc WHEN THEY WERE PERMIT HOLDERS. Everyone has had to start at the same place AND further more any rodeo with $3000 or less they (permits and cards) are EQUAL. I think if a rodeo wants to add big $$ they should be able to have a say. I am going to get flamed for this comment but this is a fact not my opinion.....A PERMIT holder is just that a PERMIT holder they are NOT a PROFESSIONAL YET....they are well on their way but they are still a permit holder.

And no, this association is not trying to cater to anyone they are trying to keep it going. And that means looking at the BIGGER picture - as I have stated many many times it is not just about the contestants. We ALL have to work together and stay unified - we are ONE association! ONE with many many facets in it that need to work together.

Where were you when the AGM was on? If this was such a hot topic - why was it not brought up at the AGM or write a letter to the CPRA? Are you a member? Do you stand behind what you write? If so sign your name, write a letter, call someone in the CPRA.....or is it is easier to come on here with a user name than it is to address it where it really matters.
Everyone who sits on the Board of Directors has their name and phone number listed in the Rodeo News....
Last edited by randa on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am

barnsonc wrote:I am glad that this discussion has arisen because I think there is a lot more to this. My goal here is definitely not to criticize anyone or any association,(it is hard not to become somewhat emotional though when rodeo has been such a huge part of my life and my family's ) as a matter of fact I am in the process of drafting a letter of concern to the CPRA myself for the following reasons. I think we should all be able to talk about this in a tactful and respectful manner with open minds. Obviously we can not limit the CPRA membership to Canadians as having some CPRA rodeos count towards the NFR also helps our Canadians out. But we can keep our Canadian Finals for Canadians only like it used to be. This may not be everyone's opinion but here is another way to look at the present situation.

I also think you should be sending your letter to the Association that is letting the Pro Cowboys in - the CPRA fought that battle and lost so it is not up to the them anymore. And when you buy your card in any association it is your duty to know the rules so it is up to you to decide whether you woud like to hold a card in that association or not.
Last edited by randa on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 am

[quote="Let'sRodeo"](3) it is part of the PRCA/CPRA agreement that they are allowed to come to the CFR. This was put forward by the PRCA and they would not budge - and losing the PRCA approvals for the committees/rodeos/contestants was not an option at the time.

The contestants wanted the PRCA approval not just the committees & association.

me

Postby me » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 pm

" I wonder if the Cassidy family or lee graves would have made the nfr If when beginning they got out in the first run of a fresh pen up Thursday night having to take time off of work just because they weren't popular enough yet for a committe to want in a perf and every rodeo they lost to some American who seems to magically always draw up in the popular day with the good cattle

They did get first runs and slacks etc WHEN THEY WERE PERMIT HOLDERS. Everyone has had to start at the same place AND further more any rodeo with $3000 or less they (permits and cards) are EQUAL. I think if a rodeo wants to add big $$ they should be able to have a say. I am going to get flamed for this comment but this is a fact not my opinion.....A PERMIT holder is just that a PERMIT holder they are NOT a PROFESSIONAL YET....they are well on their way but they are still a permit holder. "

So then maybe the the professionals who are running in the amateur associations should get first runs on steers and calves and bottom of the ground in barrels and slacks....
Run with perserverance, the course is marked out for us. Heb. 12:1

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”