Bad Cough, what to do?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Carmen

Bad Cough, what to do?

Postby Carmen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

My 5 year old futurity horse has a terrible, terrible cough, and of course it is worse when I ride him. I am sure time off would be the best thing for him, but I can't afford to give him time off right now, I have a futurity this weekend. Along with the cough, he is weezy and he has a nasty snotty nose. I took him to the vet a week ago and they boosted his vaccinations. I was at the vet again yesterday and we gave him another shot, to boost the immune system. I have been giving him Zev everyday, before I ride, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I need something to give the poor guy, does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Carmen
Luck; it's what is left over, after you give one hundred percent.

KayeS

Re: Bad Cough, what to do?

Postby KayeS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm

sorry double post
Last edited by KayeS on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KayeS

Postby KayeS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Carmen wrote:My 5 year old futurity horse has a terrible, terrible cough, and of course it is worse when I ride him. I am sure time off would be the best thing for him, but I can't afford to give him time off right now, I have a futurity this weekend. Along with the cough, he is weezy and he has a nasty snotty nose. I took him to the vet a week ago and they boosted his vaccinations. I was at the vet again yesterday and we gave him another shot, to boost the immune system. I have been giving him Zev everyday, before I ride, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I need something to give the poor guy, does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Carmen

You are not going to like my answer. Stay home. What makes you think your fellow competitors can afford to have sick horses too?

LisaK

Postby LisaK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:25 pm

I would be careful. Several horses down south have had a flu that sounds the same turn into pneumonia. It seems to be very contagious and spreads easily. Keep an eye on her/his temperature too. No ideas for you on how to keep the cough away...sorry. I had a mare catch a flu very similar a few years ago and she never did fully recover.

Carmen

Postby Carmen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 pm

I have been in constant contact with the vet. His temp is normal. The rest of our horses are fine, showing no signs of any type or cold. The vet has never said that I shouldn't be taking this horse where he will be in contact with other horses. I would never take an infected horse to an event in the case that I might be at fault of somebody's horse becoming ill. I will be speaking with the vet again before heading to the event, to reconfirm that it is okay to take him.
Luck; it's what is left over, after you give one hundred percent.

rodeo1

Postby rodeo1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 am

Please put your horses welfare at the top of your priority list, maybe you'll have to miss a weekend or two, but you could make him so much worse by going and risk the health of everyone else's horses. Also this is at someones personal farm, so please be respectful of their place and animals so that they keep putting on events we can all enjoy.

katiemac

Postby katiemac » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:39 am

If you are dead set on taking him, I would highly recommend respi-free by omega alpha to get rid of the cough. You just give him some before you ride and it helps to open up their airways and get them breathing easier.

Plus you don't have to give it to him at set times or daily. I have a horse that can't stand any dust or anything otherwise he is constantly coughing and with a shot of respi-free he is perfect in any arena.

rafterf3

Postby rafterf3 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

Hey Carmen,

My futurity horse got a cough after Ponoka futurity and has been out since then. The cough got worse the more I rode him. I strongly suggest that you dont take him, it wasnt contagious because he was around 2 other horses constantly that went everywhere together and they never got anything. He had the excat same stuff as what you say your horse is going through. I had him on Omega Respi-Free during Brooks futurity and he did not work well that weekend and was very off. I took him too the vet and they told me it was just stable cough and to give time off, but he didnt get much better with time off and now the vet figured he had a respirtory infection and he is being treated for that. Its been almost 2 months and he has just started to get better now, with much time off and lots of vet attention! I am now dealing with the infection coming through an absess. I sure hope he comes around for you, I have missed his futurity year dealing with this cough.

:cry:

Girl

Postby Girl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:51 pm

If your horse is ill you put others at risk – that is everyone’s opinion with a healthy horses

But when you take a horse that is ill, tired, or weak – YOU risk them catching MUCH more than they already have!

Remember a healthy horse can touch/breath in something and fight the infection (without you ever knowing it) – a sick horse could touch/breath it in and die!

jb

Postby jb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Ask your vet to culture the snot so you know what you're dealing with for sure and can make a game plan accordingly.
I'm with everyone else on this one, stay the heck home!!!
This is my reasoning, put yourself in your horses shoes, would you want someone to make you give it your all at some event when you have a terrible cough, are weezy and just not feeling you like your usual self??? I highly doubt it, so why would you put your horse through that.
On another note if it is a sinus infection or infection of any kind for that matter even if not contagious to others, like someone else pointed ou,t your horse is in a weekened immune state and if exposed to something else that he cant fight off, this could just be the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you will deal with!!!
There will always be another barrel race.

Toni

Postby Toni » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:42 am

Stay home and give the poor horse time to recover.Put yourself in the other girls shoes.How would you feel if you went to an event and somebody came in with a horse that was coughing and blowing snot all over the place!!He won't run good because of his breathing restrictions and you could wreck his future as a barrel horse by causing respiratory damage.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”