Moving to Alberta

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

MC1993

Moving to Alberta

Postby MC1993 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am

We are in the process of looking for a new farm and moving from Ontario to Alberta. We just wanted some input on some good locations in Alberta. In Ontario you can live in Caledon which is close to a lot of horse shows, rodeos, jackpots etc, or you can live in Barry's Bay which is over 2 hours away from anything. The point is that we want to live in the "Caledon" of Alberta, or something close to it. What are everyone's opinions?

I was also looking for some input on some reputable breeders and trainers in the area, as well as the good jackpots, barrel races and rodeo associations to try to enter.

Any input is greatly appreciated or even some help on where to find information about the above.

Tys-ol-lady

Re: Moving to Alberta

Postby Tys-ol-lady » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 am

If I were just looking for a place in Alberta, I would probably look in the Red Deer/Ponoka area... Ponoka has an awesome new facility that pretty much always has an event of some sort going on, and if theres nothing there, there always seems to be something at one of the many awesome private facilities nearby! The other advantage is central Alberta seems to get a decent amout of moisture (knock on wood) in comparison to some other areas in Alberta which makes it pretty easy to find quality hay at a reasonable price. That area would definitely be my first choice.
Stettler is a nice area and also seems to have quite a bit going on but their facility is not quite what the Ponoka Ag Center is.
As for rodeo associations, anywhere in southern, or central Alberta there is a LOT of rodeo. FCA, LRA, WRA, CCA, CRA, CARA (I believe you sould be able to google each of these)... and there are also a lot of CPRA rodeos throughout Alberta.

As for reputable breeders and trainers it depends what you're looking for. For barrels I would 100% recommend Marci Laye or Dee Butterfield for breeding or training! I am pretty new to barrel racing myself but they are both very reputable!
*Dont let your fears stand in the way of your dreams*

peanutbutterskunk

Postby peanutbutterskunk » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:34 am

For breeders, hands down Sandy Ridge Stallion Station. :)
"Riding is a lot like nuts and bolts. if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts."

Ms Katie Pars

Postby Ms Katie Pars » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 am

For breeders, hands down Sandy Ridge Stallion Station.

Agreed!!

randa

Postby randa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Southern Alberta is also good. Cardston has two great facilties to ride in all winter with stuff going on in the area all year round.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

KayeS

Postby KayeS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 am

I think if you live anywhere 1hr north or south of Calgary you will have tonnes of stuff to do, but for most Albertans a 2hr drive is not a big deal either.

jmonti

Postby jmonti » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am

I agree with the breeder hands down comment about Sandy Ridge Stallion Station. They are professional, have a fantastice selection of stallions that are proven and the best part is, they are a family run facility so you get that personal touch!

As far as living goes, depends on what type of eventing you do but, there is everything in between those locations.
I personally like the Rockyview county area. It is beautiful, very central and, it has quick routes to either north or south of Calgary. There are a lot of CRA and FCA rodeo's within it's bounderies.

Good luck with your move and Welcome to Alberta!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”