Best Saddle Pads

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

casshausauer

Best Saddle Pads

Postby casshausauer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Hey all,

Wondering your opinions on saddle pads!
Im riding in a Martin, and currently using a impact gel.
Its time for a new one, and I want to see what people use and love!

All opinions & info welcome please and thank you!! :-)
You get what you expect out of yourself, so always expect the BEST! - Lee Ann Rust

littled

Re: Best Saddle Pads

Postby littled » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Martin suggests the 5 star pads with the crown c saddles.
Most look up and admire the stars. A champion climbs a mountain and grabs one.

Marissa

Postby Marissa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 am

I ride with a 3/4 inch 5 star with both my Martins. Love them :D
You can ride a fast horse slow, but you can't ride a slow horse fast!

beckers5

Postby beckers5 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm

I also ride in a crown c but Martin says it depends on the horse and the fit of the saddle... I use a Classic Equine Biofit pad for Chili Dog, found out about them in Texas last winter and now Irvines carries them and they are fantastic! I have also had good success with the ESP pad from Classic Equine as well, and I use a 5 star on my bay horse. I would see if you could try a few out and see what seems best for you and your pony :-D

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Talking with a lot of people Ive grown some opinions on a few pads!

Wade Pad - Nice looking, some really like it, others do not. Some are complaining that they are too stiff and are rubbing their horses. They are also kinda pricey. I thought about the 3000 series with having all the memory foams etc, but the complaints about the stiffness threw me off. What if I did get a stiff one? Id be out a lot of money.. Sue Smith uses this pad on Claimer.

Biofit Pad - This pad was mentioned below by Rebecca. I looked into it and asked around some more. Its got extra padding where my horse is sunken in/hollow which at first I thought hey this is too perfect, but because hes had 2.5 years off, I thought I might be able to get his topline looking better, or fill it in a bit with work.. Having the biofit fill that in, it would be hard for muscle to grow there.

Classic Equine ESP Memory Foam - I have heard two great reviews about this pad. One person just highly recommended it, another noticed a big difference in her horses. Her boyfriends horse's white spots went away after using this pad. My only concern was that it might compress over time.. Considering they are cheaper than others, you could just replace them.

Five Star - Everyone has seemed to suggest this pad to go with my martin. I like that the front of the pad is raised, and the matierial its made of really helps soak up the sweat. I only worry that it would compress, and that it doesnt really allow the shoulders to move as freely as the next pad..

Saddle Right Pad - This pad is pretty cool. It is GUARANTEED to never compress. Its made of three pieces ( my best description) so there are the two main pieces held together by a third, which allows the horses shoulders to move freely! Its actually amazing the difference it made riding in the impact gel, then trying out the Saddle Right. I could feel my horse moving differently! They are a little pricey, but are worth it as theyll probably last a life time. Lee Ann Rust and Deb Renger both use this pad.

SO! I think I know what I need to go with for my horse.. I definitely encourage everyone to do a lot of asking around and investigating into products. :)

Im still interested on more opinions, so keep them coming! :-D
You get what you expect out of yourself, so always expect the BEST! - Lee Ann Rust

randa

Postby randa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm

casshausauer wrote:Talking with a lot of people Ive grown some opinions on a few pads!

Wade Pad - Nice looking, some really like it, others do not. Some are complaining that they are too stiff and are rubbing their horses. They are also kinda pricey. I thought about the 3000 series with having all the memory foams etc, but the complaints about the stiffness threw me off. What if I did get a stiff one? Id be out a lot of money.. Sue Smith uses this pad on Claimer.

Biofit Pad - This pad was mentioned below by Rebecca. I looked into it and asked around some more. Its got extra padding where my horse is sunken in/hollow which at first I thought hey this is too perfect, but because hes had 2.5 years off, I thought I might be able to get his topline looking better, or fill it in a bit with work.. Having the biofit fill that in, it would be hard for muscle to grow there.

Classic Equine ESP Memory Foam - I have heard two great reviews about this pad. One person just highly recommended it, another noticed a big difference in her horses. Her boyfriends horse's white spots went away after using this pad. My only concern was that it might compress over time.. Considering they are cheaper than others, you could just replace them.

Five Star - Everyone has seemed to suggest this pad to go with my martin. I like that the front of the pad is raised, and the matierial its made of really helps soak up the sweat. I only worry that it would compress, and that it doesnt really allow the shoulders to move as freely as the next pad..

Saddle Right Pad - This pad is pretty cool. It is GUARANTEED to never compress. Its made of three pieces ( my best description) so there are the two main pieces held together by a third, which allows the horses shoulders to move freely! Its actually amazing the difference it made riding in the impact gel, then trying out the Saddle Right. I could feel my horse moving differently! They are a little pricey, but are worth it as theyll probably last a life time. Lee Ann Rust and Deb Renger both use this pad.

SO! I think I know what I need to go with for my horse.. I definitely encourage everyone to do a lot of asking around and investigating into products. :)

Im still interested on more opinions, so keep them coming! :-D

And I myself will not use a Saddle Right Pad as I have had more than one horse BUCK when I have used it - These are horses that had never ever bucked in their lives!! Took the pad off and never bucked again.....

Saddle pads, saddles, leg boots, supplements are not universally good or bad. It is a personal preference just because something works for one person/horse doesn't mean it will work for another. Each horse that I ride has a pad that is just for them that works in combination with the saddle that I use on them. I have a variety of pads - impact gel, best ever, 5 star, csi and professional choice 8o)
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

beckers5

Postby beckers5 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:38 am

I also can't use the saddle right pad... Thought it might be a good idea but Chili Dog DID NOT!!! He pinned his ears, squatted and refused to go in the arena! I also think that might be why he bucked on Deb when she tried him but I can't say for sure, all i know is I went back to my CE pads and have never had any issues like that since. I agree with Randa, I think it's a personal thing but one thing you mentioned earlier about the Biofit pad preventing muscle development where the raised portion of the pad is, I've actually found that quite the opposite happens and that's actually the reason I went to that pad. My horse had severe muscle atrophy and its improved since I started using this pad.

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 am

I totally agree Randa!! Everything is personal preference and what works with each horse. I do like to hear everyones good and bad experiences with products.

If I do hear a lot of people having issues with one product, Im more likely to shy away from it.. such as the wade pad. Too much money for me to risk it being one of the stiff ones

Between durability, design, materials, opinions and pricing Im actually stuck between ESP and 5 Star... Saddle Right is third.

Rebecca- I have heard both good and bad on the biofit.. some saying it will help some saying it wont at all. Again, something I would have to try out to form my own true opinion, but I dont want to take the chance it wont. I dont have the money to buy pads and not have them work out for my horse. Why doesnt money grow on trees! :(
ESP and 5 Star are both pretty neutral, not having anything really different about them that could be bad or good like the different design of the Saddle Right or Biofit.
Dexter, like Chilli has some muscle atrophy, not as bad as Chilli's though. So hearing how he reacted with the Saddle Right makes me wonder if Dex would react in a similar way.. Im glad you shared your experience with it! Thank you.

I post on here to find out different opinions and preferences on products. Ladies like the both of you who do well with their horses, I am always interested in knowing what youre using and why etc to help you succeed! (thats worded strangely, but I hope you know what I mean)
I am always open to hear what people have to say about things. Thats why I enjoy this site so much! :-D

randa

Postby randa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 am

I have two wade pads and use them both daily and again love them on some horses but not others BUT they do last YEARS! I have had the one pad for 5 years and there is no breakdown or compression at all so to me it is worth the exta $ because I have not had to replace it. I have the 2000 series. Lindsey Sears also uses & endorses Wade Pads.

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am

What did you spend on the 2000 series, and have you found it "too stiff" at all or that it rubbed on any of your horses?
I agree that because its lasted and not compressed its definitely worth the extra money spent.
I just worry too much that I would get a stiff one... they are really nice lookin pads though so I bet that if it didnt work for me, I could sell it to someone... hmmm :think:
Im going to have to find someone close that has one and try it out maybe!

What do you like about your csi?

barrelchick

Postby barrelchick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I really like my CSI pads, and I have found them to be very long lasting :-D

randa

Postby randa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 pm

casshausauer wrote:What did you spend on the 2000 series, and have you found it "too stiff" at all or that it rubbed on any of your horses?
I agree that because its lasted and not compressed its definitely worth the extra money spent.
I just worry too much that I would get a stiff one... they are really nice lookin pads though so I bet that if it didnt work for me, I could sell it to someone... hmmm :think:

I paid $180 for my plain jane Wade and $275 for my fancy one (has spots and initials).
I found it a hair stiff at first but just using it a few times I don't notice it anymore. Getting the right length and thickness is important.

As for the CSI pads they are great for when I cannot get any saddle to fit a horse. They make it so I don't have to buy a whole new saddle. Again they LAST forever!! I had one pad for 6 years before I need to replace the liner (which $150 to replace). They did have some isssues with the foam liners a few years ago so they discontiued the foam and now make a felt/wool liner that is great. They do feel thick at first but after a few rides they are normal. For the $$ I think they are a great pad.

Personally I like a pad that has some contour to it. That is why I like the 5 Star, CSI and Wade pad, Best Ever - they are shaped to fit the back and wither. I don't the pads that are a floppy, straight oversized blanket LOL

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 am

randa wrote:
casshausauer wrote:What did you spend on the 2000 series, and have you found it "too stiff" at all or that it rubbed on any of your horses?

I paid $180 for my plain jane Wade and $275 for my fancy one (has spots and initials).
I found it a hair stiff at first but just using it a few times I don't notice it anymore. Getting the right length and thickness is important.

As for the CSI pads they are great for when I cannot get any saddle to fit a horse. They make it so I don't have to buy a whole new saddle. Again they LAST forever!! I had one pad for 6 years before I need to replace the liner (which $150 to replace). They did have some isssues with the foam liners a few years ago so they discontiued the foam and now make a felt/wool liner that is great. They do feel thick at first but after a few rides they are normal. For the $$ I think they are a great pad.

Personally I like a pad that has some contour to it. That is why I like the 5 Star, CSI and Wade pad, Best Ever - they are shaped to fit the back and wither. I don't the pads that are a floppy, straight oversized blanket LOL

Thanks for the info Randa!

QUICKS101

Postby QUICKS101 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 am

I have a 5 star that is 8 years old, and it hasn't compressed yet, however; I don't like how the pads now are coming out, I have noticed that all the 5 star have little bumps throughout the pad, mine has no bumps, and if I ever find one without the bumps I will buy it in a heart beat. I have a CSI and I have fallen in love with it, it really helps my little narrow horses with my saddle fit. The saddle right pad I am not a fan of, I find they are too stiff and roll more on the horses then any other pad I have had.
If you are in central alberta, or ride at thorsby, pm me as you can try my saddle pads

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 am

QUICKS101 wrote:I have a 5 star that is 8 years old, and it hasn't compressed yet, however; I don't like how the pads now are coming out, I have noticed that all the 5 star have little bumps throughout the pad, mine has no bumps, and if I ever find one without the bumps I will buy it in a heart beat. I have a CSI and I have fallen in love with it, it really helps my little narrow horses with my saddle fit. The saddle right pad I am not a fan of, I find they are too stiff and roll more on the horses then any other pad I have had.
If you are in central alberta, or ride at thorsby, pm me as you can try my saddle pads

Thanks QUICKS101 I appreciate the offer! Ill be back to the jackpots come February, so I think then I will msg you and see if youll be in Thorsby if/when I am :)

Interesting about the bumps on the 5 Stars.. is it the wool snowballing together and making bumps or is it in the pad itself? Strange!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”