What have I learned so far from this experience....hopefully no one else will ever have to deal with type of injury. Hindsight is a wonderful thing so I'd like to share what I have learned so far on my journey (which won't be over for awhile yet I don't think).
If I could do it all over again I would have waited until Monday to take my horse to the yet instead of doing it on Sunday so that they could have got a culture from the joint fluid which would have helped eliminate the guessing game that we have played with the infection.
Day 1 - joint is tapped and it is determined that the joint is infact infected. It is guessed that it is most likely a staf infection. A standing lavage is done that day, antiboitics injected directly into the joint and IV antiboitics started.
Day 2 - surgery is done to flush the joint thoroughly, antiboitics injected directly into joint again and a regional profusion done
Day 3 - another regional profusion done, things appear to be improving the horse is putting full weight on the leg
Day 4 - another regional profusion done, things still appear to be improving the horse is still putting full weight on the leg and looking well (first day with no butte given)
Day 5 - joint is tapped today and I am expecting to take horse home...another standing lavage is done and regional profusion are done the white blood cell count is done and it is at 50,000 which higher than one day 1 it was only 32,000. It is determined that it is not a staf infection but a strep infection and antiboitics are changed
Day 6 - another regional profusion done no butte given today as we are going to tap the joint the next day and hopefully go home
Day 7 - horse is dead lamb in the morning, he has a fever and heart rate is elevated (prior to this he has been clinicly fine and not lame) white blood cell count done again and it is now down to 29,000. The joint is tapped, another standing lavage done and regional profusion at this point it is again determined to be a staf infection. Antiboitics are changed back to a staf antiboitics and he is put on the strongest ones possible as this is obviously an agressive strain of the infection.
Day 8 - another regional profusion done, horse is better than the previous day he is less lame than the previous morning. In the evening he developes a fever again.
Day 9 - the fever is gone only antiboitics given today and horse comes home he is walking slightly better than previous day
Day 10 - at home now butte given in the morning and oral version of antiboitics continued horse is walking a little better again
Day 11 - (today) butte given and horse appears to be improving still antiboitics will be given tonight and bandage changed
If I could do it all over again I would not have taken the horse to the vet until Monday when a culture could have been done on the sample and I feel that it would have eliminated five days of vet bills and recover time.
I will continue to update with the progress. I pray no one else ever has go through this stress