Saddle to fit wide shouldered horse

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

3canracer

Saddle to fit wide shouldered horse

Postby 3canracer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I am looking to get a different saddle to fit my horse that has wide shoulders. She has a wither (not a big one but I wouldn't call her mutton withered). I currently ride a Sharron Camarillo (older) all around saddle and it is a little narrow. To compensate I use a Clinton Anderson PRS pad, and it seems to help (no dry spots). But I am wanting someting different and am wondering what others in my situation use!

Thanks for your help.

peanutbutterskunk

Re: Saddle to fit wide shouldered horse

Postby peanutbutterskunk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 am

With my very wide gelding with not much wither, the best fit I found was a Charmayne by Cactus with a 7 inch gullet. I think I could have gotten away with a 7 inch Crown C, with the right pad. 7.5 inch Martin would have been ideal, but I never tried one on. Good luck!
"Riding is a lot like nuts and bolts. if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts."

fastlane

Postby fastlane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm

I agree with peanutbutterskunk.....Charmayne James with 7" gullet. I use one on my mare and they are great.

And really nice to ride in as well.

brobinson

Postby brobinson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 pm

meleta brown freedom fit. flared shoulder is ideal for wide shouldered horses!!

3canracer

Postby 3canracer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:53 pm

So I'm looking at a used CJ by double J saddlery what are they like?? Its a trophy saddle, are they of any less quality?

Shellee Shaw

Postby Shellee Shaw » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 am

Hello, I agree with the gals on the Charmayne James saddle for your horse Let me know if you would like more info.

naturaltouchtherapy

Postby naturaltouchtherapy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I was having the same problem so I bought a Crown C with an 8-1/2" gullet. I have to say I don't think I have really felt this horse move freely until now.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?

huey

Postby huey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:42 pm

I agree with the CACTUS! I did have a Cowboy Classic that fit my wider horses very well.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

jb

Postby jb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am

I can not say enough good things about my Raylee Racer from Frontier. I can use it on all five of our horses with only a change in pad. I've ridden in a lot of different saddles over the years, and never have I found something that fits so well on a variety of horses and is a great ride for myself!!!

hydrantgirl

Postby hydrantgirl » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 am

I have a 9" Martin (Cervi) and LOVE it. Only bought it because it's the widest I could find for my big boy, and LOVE it.

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Sorry about stealing the post, :oops: but how do you know which width of Crown C is right for your horse. Who is the expert fitter here in Alberta?

Marissa

Postby Marissa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 pm

tlaye wrote:Sorry about stealing the post, :oops: but how do you know which width of Crown C is right for your horse. Who is the expert fitter here in Alberta?

Not sure if this helps, but Sherry just did this video on the Crown C's and shimming. Gives some insight on what she looks for and how she fits them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4iVhzeegyk
You can ride a fast horse slow, but you can't ride a slow horse fast!

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

Marissa wrote:
tlaye wrote:Sorry about stealing the post, :oops: but how do you know which width of Crown C is right for your horse. Who is the expert fitter here in Alberta?

Not sure if this helps, but Sherry just did this video on the Crown C's and shimming. Gives some insight on what she looks for and how she fits them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4iVhzeegyk

I have watched that video over and over and all others I could find related, but sometimes I am just too "dumb" to figure things out...lol! :-? I have the saddle, just not the know how to shim it...Just want a rep to spin me around and point me in the correct direction. :think: Sure like the saddle otherwise, and all I've studied on them tells me this is what I want. Anyone out there know of a rep here in Alberta?

jb

Postby jb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 am

Irvines bring up Martin reps on occasion. I would contact them Terry, and see if they have plans on bringing one up sometime soon. The other alternative is find someone else who is successful in getting their Martin to fit, help you out.

On a side note, there is more to saddle fit than gullet width! I'm not taking anything away from the Martins, had two and loved them a d they worked on a couple of horses of mine but I started running into problems on another horse and could never use them on my hubby's VERY short backed gelding as I could never get the saddle behind his withers like they are supposed to fit, cause there was no back left, and to sit on his wither/shoulders would have required a gullet width I don't think even they make. When I set the Martin behind the withers/shoulder blade of my other gelding who has a very long sloping shoulder I ended up with my saddle positioning me over my geldings lower back area, loin area. Needless to say this made that area very sore, to the point he bucked me off, as I was slow to catch on cause the gullet fit was fine. One needs to take into account more than just their horses back width. You need to look at the slope of their shoulders and set of the withers, the length of the back etc. I ended up with a saddle of standard gullet width to fit this gelding who does have massive shoulders, but it is very flared in the shoulder area, and short in the skirt so I'm not sitting on his loin, and broad in the back and seat to fit the width of the back. I need only change the pad I use nd can fit all 5 riding horses. THIS is how I like a saddle to fit and I'm sure one day I will find the horse it doesn't fit, but I've done the whole fit the saddle to a specific horse route and believe me it's nice to find one that fits the majority, sure easier on the pocket book.

ksimpson

Postby ksimpson » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

I bought a Double J Pro saddle on a 10 tree for my wide shouldered mare. She is extra wide it was the best fit I could find. I use it with a Corrector pad.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”