Choosing a Colt Starter

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Dreamchaser

Choosing a Colt Starter

Postby Dreamchaser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm

How do you choose the best colt starter for a barrel prospect??
I have a coming two year old colt that I need to send to the trainer shortly and want to get the best possible start with the end goal being a barrel horse. That being said - he is cowbred and I would like him to get exposed to cows, ropes, etc. I have used a trainer that is close to me in the past and for the most part I like what he does. After two months they are moving forward nicely, transitioning up and down easily, stopping . learning to neck rein etc. However he does train a lot for the pleasure arena and I am wondering if that could result in a horse being heavier on the forehand then us barrel racers would like.
I am not averse to sending the colt further away but it is definitely nice to be close enough to check on them.. I am located 1/2 hour east of Winnipeg. I will admit facility is important as well - great training goes down the drain if horses have the opportunity to injure themselves.
Any recommendations?? You can email me at mabach@mymts.net as well.
Thanks,
Mary-Anne

dream_chaser

Re: Choosing a Colt Starter

Postby dream_chaser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I have no trainer suggestions, because I'm not near you.....

But I will say what I like in a trainer......I only send my horses for the first 30 days, then I do the rest, but the guy I send too is on a working ranch so the horses get rode....not just lapping an arena it's out to work checking/chasing cows, throw ropes off etc. I also barrel race, but I think that those ranch miles install a work ethic in a colt......

HA HA and nice username :mrgreen:
BELIEVE

Skittles

Postby Skittles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Cowhorse trainers do an excellent job!! I start all my own colts and I train them to do cowhorse for the first year and then I get them going around barrels. It puts such a great base on them to go do anything then training them on barrels is super easy cause they know how to carry themselves and use their bodies properly. And most cowhorse trainers will get your colt working a flag and cattle or buffalo. I don't know of any cowhorse trainers in Manitoba but I do know some good ones in Saskatchewan :). Sometimes horses just sent to colt starters or ranchers will just get miles put on them (which is good) but they sure don't learn how to bend and be soft.

jmonti

Postby jmonti » Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Contact Brent J Nostadt - He is on Facebook. Her is over your way but in SK. He is a real easy going guy that started out reining and is now barrel racing.
I've found that the best trainers are like this. He also takes them outside of the arena as well and gets the used to all kinds of things.
Good luck in your search!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”