Ulcer aftercare

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

littled

Ulcer aftercare

Postby littled » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 am

Currently treating my mare for suspected ulcers with omeprazole. Just curious what people have had success with after the treatment in terms of diet, supplements, handling stressful situations etc. in order to keep the ulcers from returning.
Thanks!!
Most look up and admire the stars. A champion climbs a mountain and grabs one.

casshausauer

Re: Ulcer aftercare

Postby casshausauer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 am

You get what you expect out of yourself, so always expect the BEST! - Lee Ann Rust

Dawn

Postby Dawn » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 am

Oxy-Max from Oxy-Gen is the best product I have found. It is a pellett that you give daily with your ration. I have tried numerous ones and this is the only one that I haven't had a reoccurence with an ulcer. They also eat it better than a liquid or paste. They gain weight through their topline and fill out in the flank and lose that pinched up greyhound look. You have to watch what you are feeding. They say no grain for ulcer horses. We have had good luck with Hoffmans ration.

double g tack

Postby double g tack » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I use 1/4c aloe vera gel and 1/2 c licorice root tea ( I get the tea from home steader health foods and mix in about 2 - 3 litre boiling water per 50g package and let it sit for about 15 min then strain, cool and pour into pop bottles and keep in fridge.) Mix it into their grain. Since I have started feeding this I have never had any more problems.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”