High strung horse

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

grulla2

High strung horse

Postby grulla2 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Just wondering if anyone has found something that works well just to help a horse calm down some. My horse is great but just gets so anxious to get going and has trouble staying settled down enough to concentrate on what is being asked of her. She loves to go and likes to do everything in high gear, even walking is as fast as she can go. She is not an "idiot" but is just too over anxious. Any advice would be appreciated.

katiemac

Re: High strung horse

Postby katiemac » Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 am

If you google Riva's Remedies they have a product called Cool-Aid that is just a liquid. You can give them some a bit before you ride and it helps to just calm nerves and anything like that.

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 am

I used to use either Bachs Remedy, or Chill by Omega Alpha.

Bachs Remedy I could also use on myself, cause I would sometimes find myself just a bundle of nerves. It takes that edge off, still keeps you alert and focused, and it did the same for my horse. Tastes like tequila though.. no there is no actual alcohol in it :wink: I bought it from G&E Pharmacies in Edmonton.

Chill I would syringe bout a half hour before a run, and it had a similar effect to the bachs remedy. Kept the edge off, yet he was still able to focus, and still had lots of gas to burn. You can get this at most feed and tack stores.

You could probably also google Tracy Sharpe, or Shauna Cole and have them make you something more tailored to your horses exact needs, that would help calm your horse! :)

Good Luck! :Sun:
You get what you expect out of yourself, so always expect the BEST! - Lee Ann Rust

silverdew_farms

Postby silverdew_farms » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 am

Ive tried just about everything literally! I've tried herbs, sprays and powder in the food and so on. Of course each horse is different so you have to find what works for them :) Riva's Remedies didn't work and I didn't have luck with Silver Lining herbs. The one product I have had luck with is Chill from Omega. My rodeo horse gets it an hour prior to her run. And it does not take any run out of them at all, it gets them to focus better. Ive been using this product for the past 4 years and I actually use nothing but Omega products now.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”