Caudal Heel Pain

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

fanofElvis

Caudal Heel Pain

Postby fanofElvis » Wed May 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Any thoughts, stories, opinions, how you have managed……….

thanks

beckers5

Re: Caudal Heel Pain

Postby beckers5 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am

So first thing I will say is that there have been many cases (even my own) where horses have been misdiagnosed with this and so my first caution would be to get a few opinions from well respected lameness vets. I had a horse that had founder slightly and I was told originally that she had CHP... Others have discovered that their horses had a deep abscess and we also diagnosed wrong. Not to say it doesn't exist but in my experience vets are very quick to come up with this diagnosis when they can't explain a lameness issue. But perhaps you have already done this so my next point will be that it may take some trial and error to figure out what works for your horse. The most important step will be to get him in with a reputable farrier and map out a good program for managing him. You may need to use different shoes and/or pads as well as alter the angle of the foot and the break over point. After that there are many options as far as injections and supplements but your vet may be a good resource for that. I only had luck with recovery eq with the mare that foundered but I know there are other great products out there that people have had success with, they just didn't work for my horse. Last option (if it's absolutely necessary) is to nerve the horse but honestly in my opinion the options we have available now for management would make this a very last resort. Good Luck

QUICKS101

Postby QUICKS101 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 am

I had two have it, contracted heels on both, the pain went away when we expanded their heels.

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Wed May 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Agree with Quicks101. Don't let that happen. I have a horse diagnosed with heel pain by three different good equine vets over the course of time I have owned him. Stretched tendons, ligaments in the heel.I would also ask the vet to explain what heel pain your horse has, because each case may be a bit unique as to the exact condition.
In my case each time I let this reoccur it became weaker. Get a good shoer(I have been fortunate to have some great shoers), try to keep the degree of their foot the same(once you establish what is most comfortable for them) and stick to it. Do not allow too tight of a shoe and be sure there is support all the time around the heel. This horse has been this way the whole time I have owned him, which is now 14 years. Unfortunately it took me a few years to figure it out. Probably if I would of clued in earlier, he would of never hurt it again after the first time. Just didn't know and didn't listen. The horse always tells me when things aren't balanced. Still happily running barrels though!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”