Calming Aid or Quietex

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

CowgirlUp

Calming Aid or Quietex

Postby CowgirlUp » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 am

Just wondering what everyone uses to calm those high strung horses down?? Is there anything else anyone recommends??

Kary

Calming

Postby Kary » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:37 am

I pmd you

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:54 pm

I know Chelsea had really good results with herbs on her mare. I think they might be Wendels brand or something. If you PM her, I'm sure she could fill you in.

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Thankx,

I actually tried Wendles Calmer and it didn't help my mare at all. I need something like Quietex that I can just give her before I run.

Savanna

Postby Savanna » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:19 pm

I know in lots of herbal stores you can get a formula called rescue remedy and you just give them a few drops before you run, or whenever they need it. It also works to relax people.
Good Luck

monique vek

high strung horses

Postby monique vek » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:27 pm

My mare is high strung,especially when in heat,everything multiplies then.What I found work best for her is a herbal remedy for mares(riva's).I also use a calmer in her grain (smooth run)and then just before a run if she's still nervous,I'll give her a spray in mouth calmer(riva's)All of thease have made a huge difference in her.I think you have to play around with different stuff and see what works,for example smooth run I can not give recomened dose,it is too much for her,so I just kept decresing until I got desired effect,same as spray in mouth calmer,keep going you'll find something eventually and I might add that just camping out on them at a race hepls too.good luck

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:44 am

Thanks, I just got some Riva's Remedies Calm-Aid yesterday so I am going to try it out. And I also ordered some Quietex just in case. Thanks

Michele

Postby Michele » Tue May 02, 2006 9:33 am

Okay, I have the hottest horse in Canada - right Randa? I have him on SRP with Calmer and Vitamin B1 and have to say he is slightly more calm. The Rescue Remedy works better on me than it does on him! :-? I can now walk up the alley so things are looking up!
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

I fed her the herbs everyday. I don't want to have to feed her something everyday unless it will destress her. I just want to be able to give her something before I run. Riva's is cheaper then Wendels too. But if it will work I would be willing to try it again. Maybe I wasn't feeing it right!

I tried Riva's Calm-Aid this weekend and it didn't seem to work but I think I gave it to her too soon. I will just have to keep trying it I guess.

What does Vitamin B1 do? Do you just give them a shot before you run or is it an everyday occurance??

I have to stay off my mare before I run. I warm her up as much as I can with out her flipping out on me and then I get off and just walk her around until they call my name. She is a very high strung horse and she is a worrier. Not sure what else to do with her but I just want something that will relax her so she is not panicing all the time. I don't bet on her or run the crap out of her she is just super hot!!

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Tue May 02, 2006 11:02 am

Well I guess I could try it again but it is $50 for one container and it really doesn't last that long. I was feeding her one scoop everyday until I ran out and it really didn't do anything. I gave her a scoop before I ran the last time and it didn't do anthing. Maybe she needs 2 scoops or something.

As for the Vit B1, is it an injection?? Do you give it to her everyday?? She is really nervous but as for eating she has quite the appetite! She isn't fussy at all about what she gets but she does like her grain! I don't feed her much just enough to give her some MSM and the calmer!

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Tue May 02, 2006 11:13 am

I was giving it to her every day. That is why I didn't understand why it wasn't kicking in. I gave it to her for more then 10 days that is for sure!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”