Repo. Vets in Central Alberta

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

della

Repo. Vets in Central Alberta

Postby della » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 am

Who is the best Vet for AI in central Alberta?
I have never AI before, I have raised lots of colts just always been live cover. Is it reasonable to have a budget of 1,500 for the vet fees to get a healthy mare in foal?

Thank you for any advice and thoughts, I would be breeding her early next spring If I go ahead with it.

QUICKS101

Re: Repo. Vets in Central Alberta

Postby QUICKS101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 am

della wrote:Who is the best Vet for AI in central Alberta?
I have never AI before, I have raised lots of colts just always been live cover. Is it reasonable to have a budget of 1,500 for the vet fees to get a healthy mare in foal?

Thank you for any advice and thoughts, I would be breeding her early next spring If I go ahead with it.

Moore and company I believe are the only one in Alberta allowed to receive Dash Ta Fame semen, so I would guess these are the top guys.

Dr Heide out of Sylvan is supposed to be good, but have heard some people don't like his set up

Dawn Gertner would be one to speak to as she works with a vet who works mostly in repo

Roxy Bell from Wetaskawin specializes in repo.

Not sure on any of their prices

1500 should be a good place to start, I heard if they have a foal on their side, it is more cost efficient to AI, not sure as I have never had a vet AI my horses.

joey

Postby joey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I used Kirby finkbiener in wardlow at berry creek vet clinic and she is awesome. She does a ton of repro stuff!

misty

Postby misty » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 am

deb steele - equistar vet in spruce grove

m

Tys-ol-lady

Postby Tys-ol-lady » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 am

I've heard good things about Chad Hewlett at Energy Equine in Carstairs. I've never had a mare bred, but he is so great to deal with on lameness issues as he is very easy to talk to and knows his stuff! He's is definitely my first pick, and I've found him to be a little cheaper than Moore & Co as well (bonus, right?).
*Dont let your fears stand in the way of your dreams*

porky

Postby porky » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Lana delaney at delaney vet services is fantastic! Had two mares AI,d this spring, One try was a rough $700 . I would say 1500 should do you if your mare has good breeding soundness...... Lana is excellent about giving you a quote estimate before hand.

KayeS

Postby KayeS » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 pm

I think Delaney and Equistar are breeding with Dash ta fame semen too. Equistar for sure. So Moores is not the only one. If you start at $1500 for vet fees your safe, but in most cases that would be minimum.

Oakley

Postby Oakley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:38 am

Roxy Bell is fantastic!! We have used them for over 25 yrs!

della

Postby della » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Thank you all!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”