ABRA Jackpots - Membership required

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

V88

ABRA Jackpots - Membership required

Postby V88 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I just read on the ABRA website that a membership is required to attend any jackpot. I am not currently a member, and don't plan on going to the finals for a number of personal reasons, therefore am not planning on purchasing my membership. Requiring a membership to enter any jackpot will decrease the number of entries in jackpots and will also decrease the number of jackpots being held. I have been holding a handful of jackpots every year and will no longer put them on as I won't be able to enter my own jackpot. I also think it is placing a hardship on jackpot hosts as they will be the ones taking the grief when people have hauled horses and want to enter that jackpot and are not allowed to compete.
I understand the need for insurance, but many people already have equine insurance and don't need the extra ABRA insurance. Also since I am not a member I don't attend the annual meetings which these decisions are made at. I am hoping that by posting this some of the directors that voted this in will reconsider this position.
Last edited by V88 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jb

Re: ABRA Jackpots - Membership required

Postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 am

So upset I don't even know what to write!!! The ABRA was started as an organization for families to be able to go together and have fun. Now to even get to barrel race we are expected to dish out $175 dollars for myself and thank goodness I only have one child, that's a good chunk of change I don't care who you are, to be able to go and play. Or we buy permits, the only benefit being that we get to dish money out to an non-profit organization that is heavily sponsored for its finals costs and prizes and last I heard still floats well into 5 figures in its bank account, just to be able to compete???
To hold an equine event you should have your own insurance coverage, this is why there is so few hosts in comparison to available arenas, thus the ABRA coverage is not necessary like already stated by the above poster.
Can't afford to go make the ABRA finals this families only summer holidays as that is what it would basically take to afford taking a week off work and the cost of entering and stalling horses, and we work in the oil patch! So I guess we are forced to make a tough decision in this household as to how we are going to get in our barrel racing, which is terribly sad for the sake of my little barrel racer. I remember being a child and having to choose which arena I wanted to go to there was so many events, you would think with time things would move forward and my child would have more choices, not less!!
The SBRA has implemented this ruling as well, so I guess it likely boiled down to an insurance issue? Just too bad it couldn't have been resolved in a different matter.

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 am

I will be buying the permit only, just so that I am able to compete at the jackpots. I dont care to compete at Finals in 2014 for my own personal reasons.
I think buying the permit is better than having to pay a 25$ non-member fee at every added money jackpot! Lets try to see a positive side?

Wondering whats going to happen with the proposed .5 split? I was told it would be a board decision. Any news on this as of late?
You get what you expect out of yourself, so always expect the BEST! - Lee Ann Rust

karlaw

Postby karlaw » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 am

jb wrote:So upset I don't even know what to write!!! The ABRA was started as an organization for families to be able to go together and have fun. Now to even get to barrel race we are expected to dish out $175 dollars for myself and thank goodness I only have one child, that's a good chunk of change I don't care who you are, to be able to go and play. Or we buy permits, the only benefit being that we get to dish money out to an non-profit organization that is heavily sponsored for its finals costs and prizes and last I heard still floats well into 5 figures in its bank account, just to be able to compete???
To hold an equine event you should have your own insurance coverage, this is why there is so few hosts in comparison to available arenas, thus the ABRA coverage is not necessary like already stated by the above poster.
Can't afford to go make the ABRA finals this families only summer holidays as that is what it would basically take to afford taking a week off work and the cost of entering and stalling horses, and we work in the oil patch! So I guess we are forced to make a tough decision in this household as to how we are going to get in our barrel racing, which is terribly sad for the sake of my little barrel racer. I remember being a child and having to choose which arena I wanted to go to there was so many events, you would think with time things would move forward and my child would have more choices, not less!!
The SBRA has implemented this ruling as well, so I guess it likely boiled down to an insurance issue? Just too bad it couldn't have been resolved in a different matter.

I couldnt agree more!!!

I wish i would have known about the Permit before purchasing my membership!

jb

Postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:11 am

You've got a point caahausauer. We will HAVE to get our permits so that we can go to jackpots, even to just finish the series we have been going to all summer, and at least we won't have to pay that added money fee and sign the waiver at every jackpot ;)!!

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 am

Yeah, I mean, Im not thrilled about it, but oh well. At least we have the option not to buy a 100$ membership and only pay 30$ once, and be able to run at added money JPs. Just trying to make some light of the situation.
Guess insurance just wants them to have their butts covered?

I hear that Double Dollar jackpots are nice and that their finals were successful and well run too! Thats always another option for jackpots with a finals at the end of the season, at a lower cost?!
Last edited by casshausauer on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You get what you expect out of yourself, so always expect the BEST! - Lee Ann Rust

MPowell

Postby MPowell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm

I bought my permit, only to find out then I am not allowed to attend any added money barrel races....so I had to send another $70

jb

Postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I wondered if they would do that with the added money jackpots, good to know, thanks MPowell. Can you still pay the extra fee or you have to have the full ABRA card?
Really feeling pigeon holed into giving an organization money that in my opinion has forgotten its roots of origin; to provide an affordable, fun option for families to compete:(. If this is the way things are going to be they really need to re-evaluate their fee costs

V88

Postby V88 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Good to know about the added money jackpots and permits. As a host the benefit of having it ABRA approved is better advertising and possibly better attendance. There are now other easy ways to advertise, like on here, and facebook, any other ideas? I guess we'll see about attendance.
Insurance and liability make things tough.

fanofElvis

Postby fanofElvis » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 am

So I am going to throw my two cents in here. The ABRA is a non-profit organization with a board voted in by the members at an AGM. It would be my thoughts that the board should act in the best interest of the members and act according to what the members want. So what do the members want? I know that there is an AGM and that is the chance for people to have their say BUT not all of us can be at the meeting. So how do we constructively tell our board what we want during the rest of the year and is that board not accountable to listen to its members?

I get the whole insurance angle and due to law suits and other claims premiums are on the rise. Is this insurance company the only option for the ABRA? Is their only choice? Do you as a membership want the board to research this option? Who do other organizations use? I do not understand the money added part and needing a full membership. Does that have to do with insurance? Perhaps we need to have district meetings or we need to talk this out more. I think through conversation and communication this can be ironed out. If not I wonder if there will be even fewer jackpots. I remember 5 years ago I could jackpot every night of the week if I wanted to and not travel more than an hour. Now there are so few I can barely get a colt seasoned.

casshausauer

Postby casshausauer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 am

MPowell WHAT!
Online it reads
"ALL PERMITS NEW MEMBERSHIP –
To run at an ABRA Jackpot you will be required to purchase either a Permit Membership prior to attending a jackpot. You must present your Permit membership card to enter an ABRA jackpot, there will be no exceptions. You may compete at all ABRA events but are not eligible for the ABRA finals."
To me that includes added money jackpots!! :(

Ok now that makes me upset! :-?

V88 keep on posting on facebook, I think its a great advertising outlet, word of mouth spreads fast on there.

Christa, I agree. I think this needs to be discussed at a meeting, or at least explained on the site so we all know why this is happening. Is it because ABRA puts up min 600$ to the added money jackpots that are ABRA approved so they would want members only getting that money? I guess we can call our district reps and talk to them about it?
Last edited by casshausauer on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmontana

Postby mmmontana » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 pm

I agree, this is a hard pill to swollow. I purchased my membership last year but because of financial reason was unable to attend the finals, which is no ones problem but my own but I basically donated that membership fee.... So the way I look at it, I'm not the type of person that knows a year in advance that I'm going to attend an event (ie: the finals) At some point, I may not think my horse is going to be ready for the finals but I still want to go barrel race and season them...so therefore why should I not be able to go to jackpots and still season a horse? And so what if in June I decide that my horse might be ready to run at them? Thats when I buy my membership... I am not the type of barrel racer to cause a fuss so when it comes down to it, I will probably pay the fee if nothing changes, but that does not mean I at all agree with it.

MPowell

Postby MPowell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:47 am

on the membership form that you fill out it says you can not compete at added money jackpots with a permit.

TS

Postby TS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:14 pm

I think a chat site is a good place to put out feelers to see others opinions on an item and see other angles. My advice to you on influencing a board such as the ABRA, do your homework, tell them what insurence info u can find and then write a formal letter; this way you know for sure it will be discussed at a meeting. You could even print off the chat here (chances r they have read it already) and send them with your letter. Even if u can't research it, send them an e-mail or letter with your thoughts. They probably won't put something discussed in a forum on their agenda but they would have to read your letter especially if there is more than one;). We vote in our directors and they r our voice but they need something to present.

Dancen

Postby Dancen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Directly off the ABRA facebook page......

For those who did not attend the AGM the following Members Only was proposed and was undefeated. The reasons for the Members Only are as follows. The insurance company has approached us regarding having non-members competing at our events. All Insurance Companies we have spoken with will not cover an association to which there is non-members or anyone not signing an official waiver to be held on file with the office with their contact information. The board has spent the last few months reviewing the process of the non-member waiver. Many of which are not turned in or incomplete. Our insurance company stated they would not cover the association, the host or any participants with a claim that has not completed the signed waiver. This leaves the association, hosts and facilities completely liable should a non-member who is not contributing to the association open for law suits. The board is doing their best to protect the association our dedicated and supportive members have built over the past 18 years, which one law suit could take away. We felt that to be fair to our hosts as well as ourselves and those members supporting our association we would implement a Permit membership to ensure that everyone attending our jackpots has insurance. We caution all members who attend non approved events that have no insurance coverage as well as all members wishing to host a non-approved events. The possibilities of a law suits are becoming more common. Our insurance company provided us with a list of examples and this is one:

Two riders riding side beside one horse attempts to bite the other horse missing the horse but bites the riders leg taking the muscle off the bone. This person is now no longer able to complete his/her job, tend for their animals, children and will receive months of expensive operations and therapy. This claim was paid out at $2,000,000. The person had no choice but to sue the host of the event and organization to be able to take care of herself and family. The insurance company stepped in and paid the claim out.

These are simple reasons why our large successful organization cannot run without insurance and without non-members signing waivers. It is not a matter of why or how the organization has started it is a matter of growth of society and how to better protect an organization and its volunteer hosts from situations such as this. We do not wish to be difficult or hard to deal with however, who is going to stand up for the organization when a law suit hits our table. Please have some understanding as to why this was necessary for us to move forward. Simply put it is just good business to have protection.

Thank you to all those members and sponsors who have supported this organization in the past and the future.
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. "-John Wayne

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”