ABRA Jackpots - Membership required

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

CowgirlUp

Re: ABRA Jackpots - Membership required

Postby CowgirlUp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:37 am

So does anyone know how it works when they are Dual Approved with say the SBRA? To attend an SBRA event you need a membership as well due to insurance. BUT if it is dual approved do you need an ABRA membership since the ABRA will not let you host an ABRA jackpot unless it is the MOTHER association and follow their rules.

I completely understand the membership rule as the SBRA's insurance company made it manditory to have a membership as well last year. But I also know how hard it is to pay for everything. The SBRA membership and finals fees are much cheaper then the ABRA so it makes it a bit easier. Couldn't the ABRA look into lowering the membership fees to make it more reasonable for families to afford??? Just a thought! I mean, the ABRA has 100's of more members then the SBRA and we make it work with our $60 membership. The ABRA youth memberships are even more expensive then the SBRA open memberships!! I understand they need that money to run the non profit assoication but maybe they would get more members if it was a bit more reasonable for people to purchase.

jb

Postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Amen cowgirlup, I completely agree!!
On the ABRA's facebook page they emphatically state that ALL jackpots are to follow their rules, regardless of where the host arena is located. So most hosts were stating that to get around people needing both associations membership, they plan to alternate approvals, ie one would be SBRA next will be ABRA with the jackpots that they host. Hope that helps.

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:36 pm

So basically if they are approved both ABRA and SBRA, even though we have an SBRA membership we still can not attend? Does that about sum it up?

jb

Postby jb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Yep it does cowgirlup. Well said :wink:

mablerodeogirl

Postby mablerodeogirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I am in full support of the ABRA's wise decision to implement a mandatory membership....I am not a board member & never have been, nor do I agree with every rule that the ABRA has in place. But I have hosted jackpots and I know that I would not want to be responsible for uninsured riders/horses. I also like the idea of not needing to do extra paperwork & trying to establish who is a member or non member and having to chase people down to get them to sign waivers (while they are warming up their horses etc..)which are often barely legible (hand writing). And the amount of work that the dedicated volunteers, sponsors & board members put in is well worth a fee to play at ABRA jackpots...(such as a membership fee). To compete in any other organization you have to pay a membership fee that includes an insurance cost. I was happy to see that they have given people the option of even buying a permit...so obviously they are not looking for a fundraiser here folks! I further think it is great that they allow all those who want to enter the finals to do so without making people qualify based on points or money won throughout the season...As many horses and riders would not even have a chance to enter the finals if qualifying was based on performance. I would encourage all individuals to look into the costs of event insurance...So if you wish to run private jackpots...that is still an option if hosts are willing to cough up the money to pay insurance costs or run them at their own risk....no one is forced to run at or host ABRA jackpots. I think the reason jackpot hosting has declined is due to liability fears and possibly hosts getting tired of doing all the work. I hate to see costs go up...every year...But I guess it is like anything else...sporting and recreation costs money.
One rule I would like to see in the future is NO DOGS ALLOWED!!! I am getting tired of heading for first barrel and having a dog or two joining me in the arena...that could trip my horse...Or stepping in dog poopy everywhere...or enjoying the howling and barking of dogs all night with no owners in sight at both rodeos & jackpots.

karlaw

Postby karlaw » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:25 am

mablerodeogirl wrote:I am in full support of the ABRA's wise decision to implement a mandatory membership....I am not a board member & never have been, nor do I agree with every rule that the ABRA has in place. But I have hosted jackpots and I know that I would not want to be responsible for uninsured riders/horses. I also like the idea of not needing to do extra paperwork & trying to establish who is a member or non member and having to chase people down to get them to sign waivers (while they are warming up their horses etc..)which are often barely legible (hand writing). And the amount of work that the dedicated volunteers, sponsors & board members put in is well worth a fee to play at ABRA jackpots...(such as a membership fee). To compete in any other organization you have to pay a membership fee that includes an insurance cost. I was happy to see that they have given people the option of even buying a permit...so obviously they are not looking for a fundraiser here folks! I further think it is great that they allow all those who want to enter the finals to do so without making people qualify based on points or money won throughout the season...As many horses and riders would not even have a chance to enter the finals if qualifying was based on performance. I would encourage all individuals to look into the costs of event insurance...So if you wish to run private jackpots...that is still an option if hosts are willing to cough up the money to pay insurance costs or run them at their own risk....no one is forced to run at or host ABRA jackpots. I think the reason jackpot hosting has declined is due to liability fears and possibly hosts getting tired of doing all the work. I hate to see costs go up...every year...But I guess it is like anything else...sporting and recreation costs money.
One rule I would like to see in the future is NO DOGS ALLOWED!!! I am getting tired of heading for first barrel and having a dog or two joining me in the arena...that could trip my horse...Or stepping in dog poopy everywhere...or enjoying the howling and barking of dogs all night with no owners in sight at both rodeos & jackpots.

sorry but i do not think making the finals points based is a good idea. This is a great association that allows people who are just getting into barrel racing a chance to be at a finals when they normally wouldnt be there. We have no other association in alberta that allows this. I do not enter the finals and have not in a few years for personal reasons but i do go and watch... sitting there watching how excited some people were to run a 20 second pattern was exciting, and thats what it should be about. They have unlimited entries for the finals for a good reason, and every year the finals are getting bigger to see someone win a 3 or 4D saddle or prize who normally wouldnt is awesome. Everyone deserves a chance to be there and do the best they can. I was a jackpot host and there was waivers signed on behalf of the arena at every single one of my jackpots its only a little extra paperwork that saves your butt if something were to ever happen! Its not hard to make sure everyone signs a waiver when they pay their fees.. JMO

skippydoo

Postby skippydoo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 am

I don't mind paying a $30 permit to run at an ABRA jackpot. However, with a $30 permit why do you still have to pay an extra $25 at an ABRA added money jackpot. If the entry fee is $50 and those who have to pay the extra $25 are paying it that makes their entry fee $75 and the members $50. There are quite a few ABRA added barrel races, so are they trying to force people to buy a membership. Think about it, you go to 4 ABRA added money races and you have already paid for your membership, but with your $30 permit you are not entitled to go to the finals.

Just wondering why the extra $25 if you have already paid for a $30 permit.

jb

Postby jb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 am

According to ABRA's Facebook page, the $30 permit covers insurance costs for you at ABRA events and thus the ABRA has coverage and protection from anyone suing them who enters ABRA events. Because it is ABRA added money they want only full members to be elidgeble to compete for this money. Apparently the extra cost of the full membership goes towards providing this added money and thus they feel its only fair for full memberships only to be able to compete for it. That's what I got out of their explanation anyways. Hope that helps.

woolmac

Postby woolmac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:59 pm

My only suggestion is that for at least this year that it would be a good idea to have membership sold at jackpots. It would be disappointing to travel to a jackpot and then find out you can run because you don't have a membership.

smiley1

Postby smiley1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I do value all the work that the ABRA Board does and feel that the ABRA is a great opprtunity for everyone to barrel race. I also do understand the need for change..although sometimes I do not always want to accept it or agree with it. What I do not understand is why the AGM is being held in the start of the new season and what is being changed or brought in is enforced right then. Why not enforce and bring in all new changes and rules at the start of the 2014/2015 season. This way people could have some time to make adjustments or changes that they need to make over time. I think there would be less push back on things like membership increases and mandatory memeberships...

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:23 am

I have been asked by the ABRA to close this open discussion. I personally feel this would be a great venue to make a statement and clear up any confusion. However, I have been told that the ABRA will only be using their own web sources to do so.

You are kindly asked to contact the ABRA office or your directors with your opinions, ideas and questions.
Here is a link to your executive and their contact information: http://www.albertabarrelracingassociati ... isting.pdf

Out of respect of the hard working board of directors, I will close this topic.
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”