Slow Feed Hay Nets

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

peanutbutterskunk

Slow Feed Hay Nets

Postby peanutbutterskunk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Thinking of purchasing a round bale hay net for the winter. Which brand do people find to be the best? How hard is it to put the bale into? Divorce material or not so bad? :) Once its on and we go to transfer it into the feeder will our bale spear rip it? Thanks for any info. My husband swears at a tradeshow he saw some that just go over top and hook to the tombstones but I've never seen those.
"Riding is a lot like nuts and bolts. if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts."

katiemac

Re: Slow Feed Hay Nets

Postby katiemac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:40 pm

I haven't bought the round bale ones but we did buy the square bale nets and they were awesome for rodeos!!! Wayyy less waste! Easy to fill too.
We are buying the round bale ones this winter and I believe my boyfriend contacted Trina Marshall from the Brooks area because she sells them. If you choose not to put a feeder over them don't forget to pull shoes, I have heard of horses hooking a shoe in them. Otherwise nothing but good things!

k2farms

Postby k2farms » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:02 pm

I bought and used a round bale hay net last winter. Can't remember if mine was an eco net or not. It is fairly easy to put on, even alone. I have a tractor and grapple but try to be gentle. In my opinion, it is not for young horses who need a lot of food as they are growing, nor for harder keepers or horses who need to eat a lot. It did work very well for a couple older geldings whose intake definitely needs to be controlled, and I did put it inside a metal feeder to save wear and tear on the net.
The trailer size nets worked well for travel and short term, but aren't very durable at all with how their top closes.
Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting!!!

ClassicTouchEquine

Postby ClassicTouchEquine » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Nag Bags are the way to Go !!!! easy to put on easy to wash in the spring, the webbing is bigger so it doent get stuck in your horses teeth.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”