Horse Transportation to US info

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

rafter EM

Horse Transportation to US info

Postby rafter EM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Can somebody please educate me a little on the requirements for delivery of horses to US across border.
I am certainly aware of the coggins tests and health papers that are required, but are there any other requirements, stipulations?
Also, does anybody know of any horse delivery or transportation service companies that go to US and back?
Thank you.
On a horse's back is where sanity begins!

ls

Re: Horse Transportation to US info

Postby ls » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Nothing other than coggins and export (health) papers are required. I would recommend Mark Roy of Gold Buckle Equine Transport.
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.

Marla

Postby Marla » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 am

It depends who is hauling the horse. If the US buyer is hauling then they just need the coggins & health papers plus meet with US vet upon entry. If the Canadian owner hauls the horse it becomes a Commercial entry. You then need Ace-Manifest & bar codes plus brokerage papers. If u use a horse hauler they will have all this. This info is for the purchase of a horse not just going to US & coming back. You should contact US Customs for the details.

peanut

Postby peanut » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:16 pm

You also have to have your horse brand inspected and permitted to leave the province before it leaves.

ls

Postby ls » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't believe you need a brand inspection. I've sent a number of horses across the border both personally and professionally and have never needed a a brand inspection.
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.

peanut

Postby peanut » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm

On the front of the manifest books it is listed in bold print to contact your local LIS field office to arrange to have your cattle and horses inspected and a livestock permit or special permit issued prior to transporting the livestock out of Alberta

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”