Founder in Skinny Horses (laminitis)

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Girl

Founder in Skinny Horses (laminitis)

Postby Girl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:49 pm

I have read and read over the internet however I think many people out here have had ex-racehorses, or know of someone who has. So I thought I would pose the question in hopes someone may shed some more light on this issue.

• I have an ex-racehorse Quarter Horse (4 years previous on the track, he has now been off the track for 4 years).
• No health concerns, never over worked while off the track, never been over weight, minerals salt and hay are all vet approved, picture of health!
• The horse is a 2 on the scale of 1-5 for weight (1- emaciated and 5-FAT the usual founder case) you can see his ribs when he walks or turns, his neck, shoulders and rump thin.
• Last fall he foundered; he was a weigh scale of 2 and on a steady diet of grass however after a spell of rain (3 days later) in the fall he foundered.
• This year he has had very limited grass. He gets maybe 45min to 1hr of monitored time on grass every 2nd or 3rd day.

He foundered again after eating a 4 foot by 4 foot area of slightly wet grass. And he is still a weight of 2.

Now I know that the wet grass seems to be the kicker, but how limited his grass intake to founder is my concern. (to date he is in a dry lot and until the grass is dead that is where he will stay).

I wonder if anyone has seen/heard/read of something similar (in any horse)???? :shock:
:shock:

Girl

Re: Founder in Skinny Horses (laminitis)

Postby Girl » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm

I think I found it!

After calling and fighting with the company on there ingredient list ..........Unfortunately supplements and minerals don't seem to label the sugar levels properly. However sugar being a wonderful binding ingredient is often used!!!

Thanks for the PM's
:love:

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”