PSSM Advice Please

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

fransask

PSSM Advice Please

Postby fransask » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Have a five year old gelding that is tying up especially this time of year. Anyone else who has a perf horse do this and how do you manage? Takin him off pasture and giving low carb feed w some added fats, vit e/selenium, electrolytes and a free choice mineral and salt. Very frustrating because he is such a great horse with loads of potential just feel like I can't get anywhere, exercising daily for ten mins lightly anymore would result in an episode.
Tried equiwinner patches in june they seemed to work but i couldn't get them to stay on very well so maybe didn't get the whole effect...
Appreciate any advice on this! thanks :-D :Sun:

Toni

Re: PSSM Advice Please

Postby Toni » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 am

Sent u a pm.

fransask

Postby fransask » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:21 am

thx toni! :-D

faheem

Postby faheem » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:11 am

Have a five year old gelding that is tying up especially this time of year. Anyone else who has a perf horse do this and how do you manage? Takin him off pasture and giving low carb feed w some added fats, vit e/selenium, electrolytes and a free choice mineral and salt. Very frustrating because he is such a great horse with loads of potential just feel like I can't get anywhere, exercising daily for ten mins lightly anymore would result in an episode.
Tried equiwinner patches in june they seemed to work but i couldn't get them to stay on very well so maybe didn't get the whole effect...
Appreciate any advice on this! thanks :-D :Sun:
faheem ahmad

Girl

Postby Girl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:48 am

I had a horse that use to get so excited prior to a race that he produced so much acid, that it built up in his muscles so much that he would loose control of his bladder and leak pee. My vet recommended electrolytes after (like you are using), but also tums 30 minutes before he would get excited.............. and it never happened after I used the combo.

The tums (just the one you buy at the store, although he really liked the flavors) help suck up the acid produced in the stomach and stop it from leaking into the muscles, and the electrolytes after help remove the remaining acid that had build up in the muscles (any that the tums did not catch).

Worked like a charm and he was much happier! Also because the tums are harmless I would also use it when we at home and I though he might get excited! It worked so well for him! 8o)
Oh and I used about 4 tums and he was 15.2hh but not a thick horse. I would not use more that 6-7, even on a large horse.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”