Futurity Clinics

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

tdw

Futurity Clinics

Postby tdw » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Are there any clinics out there that are specific to futurity horses? I realize that at most clinics you learn some horsemanship and techniques for our barrel horses but there are so many great futurities around now and so much to learn about them to be competitive -- I realize that every horse comes along differently but there must be some valuable advice and techniques through experience that can be shared. I just see so many of the girls year after year they keep coming with new horses that they have just started and are already at the head of the pack. Just a thought but I would be interested in taking a clinic like this if there was such a thing.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Good idea!!
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

AJU

Postby AJU » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:26 am

I second that !!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy -Ray Hunt

dustincox

Postby dustincox » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:59 pm

Hi I Like this idea. I had thought about it a few years now, nice to know that others are intrested. The thing is who do you get? Crumrine, Bauserman, Green Bros., Rayel Robinson?? Who? And do you limit it to say 10 riders? And what really would be so different then any other clinic? Would it just be different because we're strickly working with 2-4yr olds? I really like this idea, just wanna hear what everone else thinks should, could, would be discussed/done?
D.
~ Ride that fine equine!! ~

tdw

Postby tdw » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:54 pm

Randa - aanderson, I think you guys hold your own very well. Maybe you could shed some light on an approximate schedule of advancement you like your futurity horses to be on? I know ever horse is different but generally at what age do you like your futurity horse to be loping a smooth, correct pattern?

dustincox - To partially answer you questions, I have never been to a futurity in the states so I do not know the big names nor thier accomplishments. I do however respect many of the girls up here that do it for a living and think I could learn just as much from them. :D

huey

Postby huey » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 pm

I have to agree with tdw about randa and aanderson holding their own. Like tdw asked, when do want your horse to 'peak'? Or does that go on how broke (individual) they are?
I haven't been to any futurities south either, but some of these girls in the North apparently can hold their own and would be worth clinicing with! T
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

Claudine

Futurity Clinics

Postby Claudine » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:22 am

I organized a clinic a in 1997 at Lakeland College for young horses. We had Glen Morehouse come out from Ontario and it was great. There were 12 riders. He gave us a really great hand-out describing all the moves our horses should be able to complete before even seeing a barrel. It also covered exercises and many more things necessary to make a great futurity horse and a winning open horse for many years to come. He was really great about giving everyone tricks that have made him so successful training open and futurity barrel horses. He is a stickler for having horses really broke before they even see a barrel.
I think we should have more clinics like this. Maybe then, there would be less problems to fix at the ''finished'' barrel horse clinics.
You win some you shouldn't win, and you lose some you shouldn't lose...

randa

Postby randa » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:36 am

I think a clinic for a certain age of horse would be awesome. I am not sure on who I think would be best just because all the good trainers (futurity champs so to speak) all have different styles and we would need to find some one who is kind of universal to MOST riders..... Any suggestions?

And I am just a beginner when it comes to riding young horses, I am terrified right before making a run. So thanks for the compliments huey and tdw, glad I have some of you fooled!! :lol:

AJU

Postby AJU » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:55 am

I am like randa and am just learning, and have gotten very lucky. I give alot of credit to my horse trainer (good thing I married him). All of my colts are started right with tons of confidence and willingness to learn. They are all rode out on the ranch and roped off of. I find there are alot of aspects of barrel racing that you can teach out of the arena. My poor futurity horse for this year thinks he needs to turn every round bale in sight!!

Thanks for the compliment.

AJU

Postby AJU » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:55 am

I am like randa and feel that I am just learning, and have gotten very lucky. I give alot of credit to my horse trainer (good thing I married him). All of my colts are started right with tons of confidence and willingness to learn. They are all rode out on the ranch and roped off of. I find there are alot of aspects of barrel racing that you can teach out of the arena. My poor futurity horse for this year thinks he needs to turn every round bale in sight!!

Thanks for the compliment.

raylee

Postby raylee » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:49 pm

Clinics are an awesome tool to learn from even if they aren't specifically geared towards futurity/derby competition. I believe everybody has an individual style and that you can pick up things from many different clinicians that will fit in with your existing program. Sticking with a simple approach to everything is the best plan of attack. I personally think the key is to be consistant with whatever it is that you do. Your horses will tell you if they can be stepped up or backed off!
I would love to hang out with Rayel Robinson for a week and I also wouldn't mind spending some time with Isy Haraga (2 totally different styles). As far as from the south - there are a pile of trainers that I would want to learn from. The ones you see time after time in the top - I would enjoy learning from them. Some riders just seem so confident when they head into that alley no matter where it is - that would be so helpful.

jet

Postby jet » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:32 am

Raylee - you seem that confident to me. I love to watch your runs. You handle your horses so nicely. You rate right up there with those two ladies to me.
A horse lover is a horse lover, no matter what their discipline!!!

huey

Postby huey » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:23 pm

I have to agree with jet about Raylee right up ther with those tough girls. I guess that's what you get from going pro at a very young age. I know I could learn alot about confidence from that girl. She seems to have it if she is on a loper or a hard running futurity colt. Keep up the good work!!! T
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

AJU

Postby AJU » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:20 am

I would totally agree with Raylee there are so many great trainers here in Canada. Rayel has such a talent to ride the "race horse type" and Isy has always been a force to recken with. Buffy Romeo is another name she always has horses with such style. I would give my right arm to ride like Raylee !! :D

randa

Postby randa » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:54 am

I have to whole heartedly agree with all the above posts. Rayel, Raylee, Izzy and Buffy are all different and all awesome. That is why it is so important to just sit back and watch everyone and try to open you mind to things so you can always learn something. When you stop learning you are done. Another awesome trainer with a style of her own is Lynette. Her horses always look so easy to handle and run... I really want to go ride with her one of these days.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”