Saddle Trees

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

mowgli1

Saddle Trees

Postby mowgli1 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:57 pm

I've been looking for a new saddle and am a little confused about the trees. What is the difference between full quarter horse bars verses semi quarter horse bars? Is it the gullet size? What is average and fits most horses? Any type of saddle to stay away from? And mostly how do I ensure its a good fit?

KayeS

saddle trees

Postby KayeS » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:55 pm

I've talked to a lot of saddle makers and they will all tell you something different. From what I gather the gullet in a saddle is mostly pertaining to the wither and shoulder area fit and the bars are generaly for the back. Usually the gullet with is related to the bars in a saddle. For example I think alot of saddle makers use 6" gullet for semi quarterhorse bars, 6.5" for regular, and 6-75"-7" for Full quarterhorse bars. The saddle I just ordered has a 6.5" gullet with full quarterhorse bars. It can be quite confusing and I think the best way to go is trial and error until you find a fit. Good Luck.

RockStar

saddle trees

Postby RockStar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:08 pm

There sure are a lot of options out there now, and lots of good saddles. As far as saddle fit, I actually just had a saddle fitting done on a horse yesterday. Stuart Deroche at Frontier is very good - this is the 4th horse he has fitted for me, and he has never steered me wrong. We actually ended up with a nice used saddle yesterday (a Sharon Camarillo) and the horse was actually fairly difficult to fit. Not sure where you are located, but I would sure give Stuart a call. Good luck!
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect, It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:11 pm

I had a difficult horse to fit too and bought a cowboy classic saddle. I love it, and have had no trouble with it.

If you want more information on these saddles you can pm Randa.

Good Luck

Jody

mowgli1

Saddle Trees

Postby mowgli1 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I have hard to fit horses, or so I think and had troubles with them in the past and it came down to saddle trouble, so I want to be super carefull this time.

kisha

Postby kisha » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:51 pm

I am a Larry Coats fan. He hand makes all his saddles and are guaranteed to fit. If not, he will build you another. I also know the waiting list is fairly long, but worth the wait. I have two. One is a full quarter horse bar saddle, which fits a chubbier, thicker horse and a 3/4 horse bar saddle which fits my slighter horses. It is a really nice combination to have. Don't be fooled by Stuart, he is selling a knock off of Coats which are Lazy J or L or something, not the same!!!! They are not handmade.

KayeS

Postby KayeS » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:34 pm

kisha wrote:I am a Larry Coats fan. He hand makes all his saddles and are guaranteed to fit. If not, he will build you another. I also know the waiting list is fairly long, but worth the wait. I have two. One is a full quarter horse bar saddle, which fits a chubbier, thicker horse and a 3/4 horse bar saddle which fits my slighter horses. It is a really nice combination to have. Don't be fooled by Stuart, he is selling a knock off of Coats which are Lazy J or L or something, not the same!!!! They are not handmade.

I just bought a Larry Coats not a Lazy L. The lazy L's are endorsed by larry coats but are made in a different factory. I think Larry started the Lazy L to make a more affordable saddle. I'm glad to hear that you liked your saddles.

Gallamist

Postby Gallamist » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:13 am

I think every maker sizes them differently. I just got a western saddle...trail kinda saddle that is supposte to have full QH bars but yet I think is to narrow for my horse. He's only 14.3hh and not quite 1000lbs and not built super stocky. So I think this particular saddle is really a semi qh bars saddle being more narrow over the shoulders/withers.

Does anyone know of someone in the Leduc area that does saddle fitting that will come to my barn and check for saddle fit?
If your not making dust your eating it.

A horse remembers what happened before what happened, happened.

AimesB

saddle fitting

Postby AimesB » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:19 pm

I went to *edited* "a store" to fit a saddle for me and it never fit properly, and it was even a flex tree. He guaranteed it to fit and when i tried to take it back because it was making my horse sore he just kept insulting me on how my hose was built, even though I took my horse there 3 times to be fitted for a saddle, so my experience there was NOT good.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”