Amateur vs Pro

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Janice

Amateur vs Pro

Postby Janice » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:25 pm

The CCA has opened up their rodeos allowing all CPRA cardholders to compete, I imagine this is a hot topic with many different views. Are there any other amateur associations doing the same? Does anyone know the reasons the CCA made this precedent setting decision? I cant see the numbers decreasing at CPRA rodeos but will they increase at the others?

chinook

MRCA too

Postby chinook » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:53 pm

I attended the AGM of the MRCA and I believe it was passed to allow CPRA carded members to enter MRCA approved rodeos also.

Pro contestants cannot compete at the Finals unless their card is dropped I think is how it goes.

In my opinion, I don't think pros attending amateur rodeos is realistically going to affect the amateur rodeos much. The pros will attend their rodeos first - and CCA or MRCA when it fits the schedule.

I agree it's good for the committees to get these celebs at their rodeos - we all know they struggle for ticket sales and sponsorship. Also, I agree with Chelsea that you are only as good as your competition. My personal belief is that the top competitors in the CCA and MRCA are the same ones that will go on and win pro - so there's really no difference, just better competition to make everyone work harder, and maybe get there quicker too.

For anyone with a goal to become professional with rodeo, how great would it be to have someone of that callibre and experience there to learn from? I think it will be a great opportunity.
"To succeed, you need to take that gut feeling in what you believe and act on it with all of your heart!"

Copyright © 1997 Christy Borgeld

Janice

Amateur vs Pro

Postby Janice » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:56 pm

Glad to see such positive feedback. You know what never made sense to me is that I being a Pro cardholder could not compete anymore on the amateur level but I could darn sure give my top horses to my daughter and she could compete there. Barrel racing is so different from the other events. As we all know they only have so many runs in them and this allows some of the CPRA gals to season their backup horses at a few. And on the other hand I was glad to see the CPRA change their permit rule which will allows permit holders to accumulate their earnings insead of having to win $1000 each year therefore obtaining their Semi Pro card. I dont think it matters where you rodeo we all appreciate seeing a awesome run as we know how much work was involved to get the horse there. One difference I noted is when you rodeo Pro and compete against the top Americans, you better have your mental game plan on overdrive!

turn n burn

Postby turn n burn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:24 pm

I don't think that anyone is going to hurt by this move. As for the people in the bottom holes worried about the pro's taking money at the end of the season...my opinon is they should've worked harder earlier and not left it till the final weekend. I fully understand that those last few weekends are important but if the difference in you going to the finals is placing 1st instead of 2nd...thats rodeo :?

There are people in the CCA that go to Pro rodeos and take their money, money that is probably needed to make the finals. So where is the difference? An amateur can take the Pro's money, why shouldn't it go both ways.

And please who from Alberta is going to drive to Saskatchewan (on our highways) to go to a $500 rodeo, its not going to happen. Like Deb Renger is going to bring Reiner to a rodeo like Pilot Butte, think again :!:

I think it will in no way hurt the CCA, however if some Pro's do come over, in a few years the CCA will be tougher and the compitition will be that much better. The CCA does have a few barrel racers that do go to Pro rodeos and do well, so does that mean we should banish them to the Pro's because they are too good to go to CCA rodeos...not likely.

rockinm

Postby rockinm » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:24 pm

I believe it was a legal issue that made them open it up. Something to do with human rights and a persons right to work...can't stop someone (a professional) from working etc etc. Should a pro challenge any amateur assoc., the assoc. will have their work cut out for them since this precedent setting case.

Here's a thought...if a rodeo can so no permits on their approval, can they say no pros?

Janice

Postby Janice » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:53 pm

Sorry but I have been away for a while. Do you mean to say amateur rodeos have permits? Why would that be? At some LRA rodeos the steerwrestling has been cancelled because of not enough entries. Also short in the riding events over here? I cant imagine why any amature rodeo would invoke a permit system. If you mean Pro rodeos say no permits no pros this couldnt be possible.

turn n burn

Postby turn n burn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:32 am

Yes, the CCA has permits, although there are not very many rodeos that don't allow them. The CCA permits are more for people who only go to a few rodeos a year, its nothing like a pro permit. You also don't have to win a set amount with a CCA permit (you don't have to buy a permit before your card either) before you get a full card.

Deana

Amateur vs. Pro

Postby Deana » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:50 pm

I think that it was a good idea to open it up. For years its always been limited to amateur card holders and pro card holders as to where they can go etc. I think that it will only make barrelracing tougher. I agree with you Janice in saying that it give us pro card holders a chance to get our younger horses seasoned with out all the pressure going to a pro rodeo, that is a very good point.

The BCRA has been opened for a couple of years now, and I know that cowboys that have CPRA cards have attended them, and gone to the finals.

As a CPRA card holder and making the miles down the road, I would be going with my boyfriend to the CPRA rodeos first. (I have a driver :lol: hee hee!) But at the end of the CPRA rodeos I would love to keep getting some runs on my horses at some amateur rodeos, if there are any in the fall etc.

All in all I think it's a great opportunity for all CPRA barrelracers (if they choose) to have the chance to run for money in more associations than just the pros. THe amateur girls can come run with the pros, so I think it should be vise versa.

Erica

Postby Erica » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 pm

After seeing low entries in alot of the rodeo events at amateur rodeos the past couple of years, I think that opening it up is a great idea. However that is in Sask. and Manitoba and doesn't affect the Alberta circuits. Alot of the top competitors in Alberta have taken that jump to the pro circuit and as a result there are lower entries in the amateur. The barrel racing at rodeos is always good and the highest paying because of those entries...however the competition is definitely not as tough. But, you only get tougher by being challenged above your comfort zone. I have seen girls just starting out in the amateur go a short time later and place at pro rodeos. Like someone else said, you are only as tough as your competition!
The 3D barrel racing gives young horses and beginner barrel racers a chance to get seasoned. I would like to see this grow more up here in Canada. Also, I would much rather go to a pro rodeo for $50-60 to not win than pay anywhere from $60-110 at an amateur to season my horses. That is another topic in itself....but I still think it is good to open it up!

Missy

amatuer vs pros

Postby Missy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:55 pm

I am in total agreement of the rodeos being open to everyone. We all know that it is really hard to make money rodeoing, going amateur or pro. Having lived in BC I now how hard it is to drive by a rodeo that you arent allowed to enter, on your way to rodeos out here. We are all in this game to better ourselves, and hopefully make some money at what we love to do. The amateur associations are struggling for numbers in all there events, when pro cardholders buy the card for that association, it is more money in the CCA's or BCRA's pocket. I think that it is a good thing for all involved, committees, associations and contestants.
woman who behave don't make history!!

Janice

Postby Janice » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:08 pm

So where do the Alberta amateur assoc stand on this topic? Dont want the competition? Too many entries? They are financially stable and dont need the extra membership $? It seems that the CCA has always been a positive leader for the amateurs so maybe the rest will follow. Man in the 1970's I was the CCA director and asked for equal money..cant believe it was 30 yrs ago...and guess what...they have had equal money for the barrel racers ever since. Did I mention I was only 10yrs old at the time! Kidding! I happen to be probably 8 hours on a average to get to CCA rodeos so chances are I wont be going. So do the CCA dual approve any rodeos with the LRA or CRA or FCA? If so what is going to happen?

Erica

Postby Erica » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:05 pm

You know I don't know really where the Alberta associations such as the FCA and LRA stand....I think that they would definitely benefit by opening it up to the pros. They definitely don't get enough entries. The barrels always have 20-60 at a rodeo....sometimes 100 if it is a WRA/FCA/LRA rodeo. But the other events really do suffer. It is nice to have competition and also to watch it as well....like Janice said we all like to see a good run no matter where it is. Maybe they just want to stay "amateur" and not have to set guidelines for who can make the finals, etc. I wonder if this topic will be brought up at the General Meetings this year??

Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:55 am

I love this topic, and coudos (is that spelt right?) to all the positive feedback. Janice, you asked about amatuer associations that are open to CPRA cards co-approving rodeos with associations that havent opened up. This happens in BC at the BCRA rodeos and the rule stays with the First approval. The NRA in the north doesnt allow CPRA cards,(which is funny since lots of the members have their permits for our association) but they co approve rodeos with the BCRA who does allow CPRA members, and if it is a BCRA first approval the NRA has no say. The Williams Lake Indoor rodeo in April is an example. The NRA co approved that rodeo, and cardholders were allowed to enter.
woman who behave don't make history!!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”