Does apple cider vinegar help heal wounds??

A great place to "stay tuned" - General discussion and a great place to learn new things!

Moderator: Moderator

Does apple cider vinegar help heal wounds??

Postby rockybar » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:25 pm

I was once told if you were spray apple cider vinegar on a open wound it will help it heal and keep in soft from drying out. Just wondering if anybody has tried it before and if it works. I have a horse that cut himself, fairly deep and I am wondering if apple cider would work or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :06:
rockybar

Postby cisco » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:04 am

The best thing, by far, that I've used on cuts is Tea Tree Oil. You can buy it in a spray for horses and it keeps it from drying, heals very fast and I've had awful big cuts heal with absolutely no scarring using this spray. The best part is that you don't wrap and it doesn't hurt them so you can usually just walk into their pen and spray. As for the Apple Cider Vinegar, I don't know.
until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened
cisco

Postby Dunreiner » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:07 am

Tea Tree Oil is fantastic to use. As for Apple Cider Vinegar, we use it in our horses grain not only does it give a great looking coat, but the vinegar cuts down on the calcuim built up around the joints.

DR
Keep your eyes on your dreams!!
Dunreiner

Postby huey » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:27 am

Tell me more about the Tea Tree Oil spray. Where do you get the spray or can I mix it myself. I've used tea tree oil alot in the past for bug bites, but haven't used it on wounds. Also have a horse with a very bad cut on the front of his hock. Being so cold out I can't hose it, so I'm looking for non water solutions. Had someone tell me to use sea salt/water then wash that off with white vinegar/water. Done it twice, so can't see results yet. TJ
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck
huey

Postby cisco » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:44 am

Oh crap, I should have grabbed the bottle from the barn this morning. I'll get back to you on the exact name of the product you can buy. I would recommend buying this, not mixing it, as this product works wonders just the way it is. I haven't seen it in many places myself. Where are you located? I did see some at Cowboy Country in Nanton and we buy ours in Sundre. I'm sure there's plenty of other places. It works well in the cold and it seems to keep things quite clean as well. I always apply it about 2 to 3 times a day and use lots. You will likely see instant results and will be amazed at the outcome. For example; I had a filly with a slice about 7" long, about 1" wide and fairly deep at the top of her front leg. I did not get this stitched, just cleaned it out and began to treat with tea tree oil daily. Within 2 weeks it was healing shut, growing hair back. There is now NO VISIBLE SCAR on this filly - wish I would have taken pictures, you wouldn't believe it.
cisco

Postby cisco » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:50 am

Ok, so I had to run to the barn in my shorts (you wouldn't want to see a picture of that) and I got the bottle. It is called Tea-pro equine wound spray. It does contain a few other natural ingredients along with pure tea tree oil. The website is www.healing-tree.com
Not sure if there are other products like it but this is the one I've used and found success with.
cisco

Apple Cider Vinegar

Postby Christine » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:13 pm

I have used apple cider vinegar on open wounds lots and have had good success with it. We used it on a mare that had ripped her hip open right to the bone and it was open in such a way that you couldn't hose it so we just sprayed apple cider vinegar on it 3 times a day and it healed beautifully. I always make sure to soak the hair above the wound as well so it soaks in around the wound too.The apple cider vinegar seems to keep it clean and irrigated. It is all we use around here now when a horse gets hurt. You can just see a tiny little line on that mare now where the gaping hole was before.
I highly recommend it.
Christine
Christine

Postby miss_brook » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:34 pm

The apple cider vinegar works to keep the proud flesh away...what we do is spray it down good with the vinegar then pack the wound with brown sugar to keep it moist. Good luck Rockybar...hope it's not another catastrophe your dealing with...god only knows you guys have had enough lately!!!! :(
miss_brook

Return to The Round Pen ~ Discussion