Jackpot fees

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

foxylena

Jackpot fees

Postby foxylena » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Just snooping around and seen a comment about jackpot fees being too high. Sorry Randa but I stole your thought and am not critizing one bit. Out here in BC our jackpot fees are sooooo high compared to the $30 spoken about. I do agree with $30 being on the high side. I am going to a winter series and I pay $45 for a jackpot with $100 added. I think out here it's the arena fees that kill us. We are paying $13 for indoor and up to $10 for outdoors.

Are we just being cheapo's or are the fees soaring? And what would be a reasonable entry and should there be a cap?
REALITY CONTINUES TO RUIN MY LIFE!

KatieB

Postby KatieB » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:51 pm

I agree with you...anything over $30 for a jackpot unless there is $500+ added makes me cringe :-?

randa

Postby randa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't mind anything up to $25. I am not sure why $30 is too much for me.....I just feel unless there is added money then the fees should be kept in check.

I like the Turn and Burns because of the added money. $400 added with $40 fees.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:59 pm

I know what you mean Randa, when it gets over 30 bucks I'm cringin' too. I haven't went for a few winters so it seemed high, but I guess the price of heating and lights on isn't cheap. I am living in the days when those buildings only charged 3-5 bucks. (Was that before Ralph?)This new cost is pretty understandable considering the rising costs of utilities. I feel for the ones trying to keep the doors open. I guess they could lower fees and less payout, but that's usually grounds for a good "agree to disagree" topic! :shock: What I don't understand is why the outdoor arenas have to charge. Some I can see, they get a bunch of added money, make a huge event out of it and have some advertising costs, etc. , but the little week night jackpot at the local rodeo grounds or in someone's home arena?! :roll: I've hosted both those kind, and really, where is the cost? Maybe the tractor has to be brought in, but if it's not my own it's probably donated anyways. And it benefits the host in the end, because your hometown rodeo grounds is good for awhile to practice. Our town doesn't charge for non-profit use and I don't know why any of them would. If they do, fill me in I would love to know why.... :think: maybe our little town is in the dark! I thought non-profit was called that for a reason.

foxylena

Postby foxylena » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 am

Our fees are also high because the associations are starting to nickel and dime us. We have to pay:

$4.00 Timer Fee
$3.00 Sanctioning Fee
$10.00 Arena Fee ( Average figure - some are less, some more)
--------
=$17.00
+ Entries ( Let's say $20)
----------
=$37.00 and guess what---ONLY $20 goes in the pot. That's only half.

Some places are even charging a "Prize Fee" that goes towards purchasing prizes for a series.

Then add on your fuel and lunch. Works out to $80.00 for me to run one horse and the arena is only 20 minutes away.

Yes, I know that if I don't like it, don't go. But we are really lacking winter races so it puts us in a bind. Costs to run an indoor are high, but there are ways to cut costs.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the races that are put on. I just don't appreciate the associations and all their little fees.
REALITY CONTINUES TO RUIN MY LIFE!

jody y

Postby jody y » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 am

foxylena wrote:Our fees are also high because the associations are starting to nickel and dime us. We have to pay:

$4.00 Timer Fee
$3.00 Sanctioning Fee
$10.00 Arena Fee ( Average figure - some are less, some more)
--------
=$17.00
+ Entries ( Let's say $20)
----------
=$37.00 and guess what---ONLY $20 goes in the pot. That's only half.

Some places are even charging a "Prize Fee" that goes towards purchasing prizes for a series.

Then add on your fuel and lunch. Works out to $80.00 for me to run one horse and the arena is only 20 minutes away.

Yes, I know that if I don't like it, don't go. But we are really lacking winter races so it puts us in a bind. Costs to run an indoor are high, but there are ways to cut costs.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the races that are put on. I just don't appreciate the associations and all their little fees.

$4.00 timer fee??? wow.
You only need a little over 200 entries and the timer would be paid for at that rate.
:shock:

RockStar

jackpot fees

Postby RockStar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 am

wow foxylena, that's ridiculous!!
Personally, I think the turn burn earn fees are too high here $40 for a $400 barrel race, and not all that money seems to go into the pot either. hmmm. - you can go to a $1500 rodeo for $45??!!

At least at most ABRAs it's a good ol $20, and maybe $2 or $3 for an arena fee. maybe $30 is a little much for a regular jackpot, but if it's all going into the pot (not sure if that's the case), that sits better with me.

foxylena - did you guys ever think of trying to revamp your association rules?? are the other girls over there upset too??
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect, It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Wow, I'd like to own that timer! :shock: Heck of a business! We charge a buck a run. If the account builds up more than we figure we will need to repair it or replace it , we donate towards a added money jackpot in the same area. Then they have a chance to win their money back. :-D Over the 10 or so years we've done this we had to replace it once and the used one we originally purchased was only $400. Like Jody said at 4 dollars and 200 girls - that's nearly a new timer!

monique vek

jackpots

Postby monique vek » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Foxylena,I race in the b.c interior and have never paid over $2.00 for a timer fee....granted I have yet to go to any this year.If you are concerned about the fee's you have to pay at races,I'd suggest telling your local rep.I am sure they can explain it or give you the direction you need to go in to change it. happy racing...

randa

Re: jackpot fees

Postby randa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:04 pm

RockStar wrote:wow foxylena, that's ridiculous!!
Personally, I think the turn burn earn fees are too high here $40 for a $400 barrel race, and not all that money seems to go into the pot either. hmmm. - you can go to a $1500 rodeo for $45??!!

At least at most ABRAs it's a good ol $20, and maybe $2 or $3 for an arena fee. maybe $30 is a little much for a regular jackpot, but if it's all going into the pot (not sure if that's the case), that sits better with me.

foxylena - did you guys ever think of trying to revamp your association rules?? are the other girls over there upset too??

I would way rather go run at $400 for $40 than pay $30 fees for nothing. It is a little tough to compare the jackpots to rodeos. AND if you break down how the $30 fee is broke down compared to the $40 there is not much difference except you are running at added money.

Foxylena, that is pretty steep and it sure would keep me at home. I am glad that I live where I at least have choices on where I want to go.

Dawn

fees

Postby Dawn » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 pm

If there is a higher entry fee at a jackpot and most of it going to the arena or producer - everything better be top notch. The timer better work, the ground should be good and I better not be expected to rake.

randa

Postby randa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Anyone know what is the norm for what is taken out of the fees to go to the producer?

Timer fee is usually $2.00 per run but what else?

RockStar

jackpot fees

Postby RockStar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:42 pm

well I don't care if there is added money or not - if only half of my fees are going into the payout, I'm not a happy girl!

foxylena - at least you guys have a breakdown of where your money is going, and that's a starting point - perhaps you could reduce or eliminate the timer fee, and maybe the "sancitoning" fee - do you know what the sanctioning fee is used for?? that would be something to find out too.[/quote]
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect, It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

MPowell

Re: fees

Postby MPowell » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Dawn wrote:If there is a higher entry fee at a jackpot and most of it going to the arena or producer - everything better be top notch. The timer better work, the ground should be good and I better not be expected to rake.

I totally agree Dawn! Well said! :cheer:

randa

Postby randa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:19 pm

At least at most ABRAs it's a good ol $20, and maybe $2 or $3 for an arena fee. maybe $30 is a little much for a regular jackpot, but if it's all going into the pot (not sure if that's the case), that sits better with me
from Rockstar

I have been to two ABRA's in the last two weeks that were $30, because of the arena fee (I know that is not the fault of the producer.) I am assuming around $8 for the arena fee and a $2 timer fee. Does the rest ($20 go into the pot). I don't think it does...PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG but then there is still some taken out for the sanction fee for the ABRA. So out of the $30 how much is going in to the pot??

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”