Jackpot fees

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

blurry

Postby blurry » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Here's an idea from the TBE rule page as to where some of the entry money goes.........

"Approval fees: $20.00 goes to promoting your event in magazines and newspapers.

Insurance fees: $75.00 per event must be paid TBE in advance of the event for Insurance Company approvals.

TBE is responsible for collecting the race results, membership applications and fees from the producer, and $2.00 run money. Producer is responsible to assist as required.

Office Fees: $2.00 per run must be paid to cover secretary and promotional costs for your event. The fee comes from the 25% of entry fees paid – added money is paid out 100%."
~We are all just one small adjustment away from making our lives work~

KatieB

Postby KatieB » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:46 pm

cathy b wrote:I

I know how much work it is to go out spend my time and fuel going out to get sponsors to have added money races. So when people make the time and effort to host races, I am VERY THANKFUL for them, added moeny or not. Some people that host do not run their hosres becuz they are short on volunteers (there is not usually a line up of volunteers) or want things to go smoothly. I know it is difficult to run race and run my own horse.

Thank you to all those in my area (husbands too...God knows I could not do it without mine!) who host races and take time to get sponsors and help us do the things we love to do! And for all the help there has been at our races.

8o)

Believe me we are very thankful that we get to run at your place with $ added for less than $30/race!!! :-D

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:05 pm

I personally think the turn n burns are the best thing for Canadian 3d barrel racing. With the price of fuel and vet bills and farriers and rigs it is nice to finally win some decent money. Has noone ever run in the states where it is mandatory to have added money to approve a jackpot. Barrel racing is a business and lets face it who doesnt want to make some decent money. Iris ann works her butt off to run the turn n burns and she deserves some credit. I will not run my good open horse unless theres some decent money up its a complete waste asking him for his life to win $80 and until the turn n burns i rarely ran him. Iris ann is one of the nicest gals i've ever met, and i'm sure its hurts for her to read what people think of all her hard work. I hope that she continues to host the turn n burns for years to come. I agree with Randa 100% i wont pay $30 for a jackpot when i'm running more then one horse.

randa

Postby randa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Right on, Ben!!!
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

maxine mckenna

Postby maxine mckenna » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:05 am

Wow!!! Lots of comments...So how many of you have ACTUALLY hosted a jackpot, rodeo or futurity? It all boils down to expenses. Get your FACTS straight before you start spouting off. Arena rental varies greatly from place to place. We are lucky here in the South...we have indoor arenas every 30 miles in every direction...we don't have to pay as high a rental fee and electric eyes are a dime a dozen. Others aren't so lucky...their costs are way higher. Maybe those of you who have to jackpot in the more expensive areas should help your hosts find sponsors or help raise funds so it benefits ALL of you. Generally speaking, at least 75-80% of the entry fees should go back into the payout. AND the added money should be left alone i.e. nothing comes out of it. Rule of thumb for payouts...last hole should pay your entry fee. Advice to competitors...if you have a question about something....ask the right person. Don't make assumptions. Just because you can't find "rules" anywhere doesn't mean you can't contact the organizers and "pick their brain". Base your decisions and/or opinions on FACTS.

TS

Postby TS » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 am

Well Said Maxine & Ben!!!!!
8o) 8o) 8o)
Trina

monica

arena

Postby monica » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:53 am

I have to agree with Maxine and Ben. It is a lot of work to put on events and go out and get sponsors for prizes for the year end awards (saddles etc)plus have money up at the finals. I know Iris Ann hardly breaks even, if she even does??? She is very new at barrel racing and she is trying very hard to put on an event with money up and good ground. Last winter we went to barrel racing jackpots with 1000.00 up and good ground. I thought that was a really good thing. I know how hard she worked to put on these events plus the finals and I know that she put a lot of money out of her pocket to make it work.

Sometimes if we did less complaining and worrying about what everyone else is doing we would be a lot better off, myself included. If you don't like the jackpots don't go but don't run them down on this forum. Personally I like going to jackpots with money added where the fees are reasonalbe and I don't care who is putting them on.

RockStar

jackpot fees

Postby RockStar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:16 am

It seems to me that this whole thread was meant to be a discussion about jackpot fees & such - and we have discussed that -
those of us that don't care for the TBE's have just as much right to voice our opinions as those of you that don't like some of the ABRA jackpots & fees - not one of us said that any jackpot wasn't a whole bunch of work to host no one is disputing that!!
So let's everyone calm down and try to wear your big girl panties (or pants) as the case may be!! :-)
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect, It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 am

Please remeber that typed words are just as harmful, if not more then words that you would say to someone in person. I think everyone on this forum is very passionate about barrel racing, and jackpots/rodeos/ground conditions etc, and we need to keep clear of name calling and finger pointing. Maybe the lesson to be learned is to:

1. Inform yourself before heading out to a jackpot so you know where all your money is going, and how much money you will need to bring with you, and if it is worth it for you to pack up and go.

2. Put yourself in an organizers shoes. Everyones time is worth something. If they can afford to volunteer it, great, but not all of us have that luxury.

4. Get the facts. Those are the only things you can base judgement on, and make sure you are getting it first hand from the SOURCE, not down the line.

3. Everyone on this forum should take it to task to try and organize not one but a couple of jackpots, and then assess how quickly they are to demand how well raked the ground should be etc. I would also suggest to try and come up with the added money for an added money jackpot. You get tired of asking for money for your own benefit. It is a lot easier typed on here, then putting it all out and getting it done.

8o)

amberw

Postby amberw » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:35 am

I completely agree with RockStar. And for the record I am not spouting off without any idea of how difficult it is to host events or obtain sponsorship money, both in barrel racing and out. I sit on a rodeo association board, have helped host jackpots and helped organize a futurity and derby, so before you assume I have no idea of how difficult it is to organize and host events maybe think again.

Tilley

Jackpot fees

Postby Tilley » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:58 am

O.K. Thank you blurry - I'm not going to copy them but everyone should reread them - the one pretty much says it all (in my opinion) and the other explains it.

I don't think some people out there understand the amount of work that goes into putting together these different functions - whether it be a futurity/derby, incentive program, whatever classification you would like to give to the TBE etc. - there are web sites to look after, sponsorship to go after (a huge job!), entries and memberships - the list goes on and on... I know I didn't have a clue until we did get involved but I sure hope that there isn't anyone out there that thinks that mom and I are doing this to make money because that would sure be a "slap in the face" after all of the effort that we put into defending our volunteer time to our husbands who can't understand why anyone in their right mind would do all of this!
- just so everyone is clear, the #1 reason we are doing it is that we love barrel-racing and want to do what we can to support it and promote it (yes we get some benefits as far as making contacts etc. and getting to qualify for the finals up here without travelling south but that is our #1 reason) These things take so much time that for the 1st time in 15 years, neither mom or I have a colt ready to start on the barrels!

As far as the membership goes - no one is forced to take one - you can pay a day rate but I honestly don't understand why anyone wouldn't take out a membership - at our Thorsby runs alone there are gorgeous bracelets up in every division (awarded every 2 runs) and a saddle! Anyone that was at the TBE finals last year knows what kind of prizes Iris-Ann puts up and I know that I am thrilled to have the opportunity to run for them.

I honestly don't know if Iris-Ann is making money or not and I really don't care - "cudos" to her for coming up with the idea and having put in the effort to see it become a reality. I kind of think that if people had a hard look at the hours put in - it might not appear so much as "making money".

We host both ABRA runs and TBE runs - they are both very positive things for the barrel-racing community and I know that I am very thankful to the founders for coming up with them and feel fortunate that we are in a position to support them. I am glad to have two different formats to run in, never mind the added money and the fact that we get to go run in a nice arena with good ground in the winter!
"When I hear about someone calling a horse stupid - I figure it's a sure sign that animal has outfoxed them." - Tom Dorrance

zrrclc

Postby zrrclc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:59 am

ONCE AGAIN WELL SAID MAXINE MCKENNA & BEN!!! I HAVE PUT MANY JACKPOTS ON AND KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO DO IT!!!

THANKS FOR SPEAKING UP TILLEY!

cisco

Postby cisco » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:17 pm

My reason for asking about memberships is that I may only be able to make it to a couple of the TBE events. Now we all know that when you barrel race and rodeo, you end up getting into a lot of membership fees, so I'm just trying to be careful as to which ones I really need or not. Only making a couple TBE events and not shooting for their finals may not be worth buying their membership for me, that's all. I think I recall the membership being about $80, correct me if I'm wrong.
until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened

zrrclc

Postby zrrclc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:04 pm

TBE Membership is $48.00 for the open.

huey

Postby huey » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Last year the TBE membership was only $35 and a day fee was $5.00. I went last year, and the finals were very nice. Not alot of entries for all the prizes and work that went into them. Kudos to Iris-Ann and her crew. TJ
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”