cowboys and cowgirls as athletes

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

sq

Postby sq » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 pm

This is fabulous!!! I'm so glad to hear that so many people are aware of 1) keeping their horses in shape and 2) the relevance of keeping themselves in shape. And the point made about racing is quite true: if weight didn't matter in a race, why would jockey's + gear all have to weigh the same at a track?

I like to think of it this way (as somebody already mentioned): I cannot expect from my horse what I don't demand of myself. If my horse works out an hour a day, so do I. I can't expect the best from them if I don't expect it from myself. It's great to know that other people have considered this too! :D

And awesome research, dirtdevil! While size is an advantage in some sports, there's a difference between 200lbs of "flubber" and 200lbs of muscle (I am NOT saying that all cowboys have no muscle tone!!). I just think that there are a lot of cometitors out there who could be phenomenal if there bodies were in better shape (myself included --> I tend to winter well!!!) :D And the same goes for the skinny beanpoles out there: just because someone is skinny does not mean that they are in shape (although they tend to fit their jeans better!) :D

PS: what is it that Robert Bowers does???

Montana

Postby Montana » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:44 pm

Robert takes his health very seriously and is very careful on what he eats. He works out, goes to bed early etc. He has never drank in his life and is an incredible example of the cowboy athelete

sq

Postby sq » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:27 pm

That's awesome!!! What an incredible standard to live up to. I'm sure he sees the benefits of his lifestyle almost daily. Hats off to him!! And yes, he does sound the the model example of a cowboy athlete!

krys

Postby krys » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:31 pm

Daredevil, you are totally right, my apologies. And do agree that we have to be in shape mostly mind, to help our horses out, but I don't believe that if we have a few beer or don't eat right, that that doesn't make us a strong and competative contender.

bushedbunny

Postby bushedbunny » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:42 pm

How can you argue that an improper diet wont hinder your health? Look at diabetes in several cases for example, alot of that has to do with diet, and lots of it can be prevented with diet. I guess i dont understand your point.

Erica

Postby Erica » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:17 pm

I think that with barrel racing....the horse is the true athlete. For barrel racing we need them to be in top condition to perform their best. We on the other hand don't have to be, but it would sure benefit. I think that being healthy and fit is important more so than being an athlete. That doesn't mean that the rider isn't an athlete though. They may play on a sports team or work out or just be really busy with family life. I agree that each event takes different tolls on body and that requires the individual to keep in shape for that event or they may get hurt or just be beat by competition. I think that weight does play a part with saving time in your barrel run. I just think that if they have 10 less lbs to carry around enables them to be quicker as well as you to stay with them while leaving turns....etc....this is just something I have noted after seeing a friend lose 15-20 lbs and how much "easier" her horse ran and how much better she rode him! And her times have went from not getting in the money to winning quite regularly!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”