rusty bit

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

laurie

rusty bit

Postby laurie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:18 am

I went into my tack room the other day and I have one bit that over the winter went totally rusty; everywhere! All my others are ok, but does anyone have a solution to "revive" the rusty one?

LazyDW

Postby LazyDW » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:33 pm

There's not much you can do, other than sand blast it and have it chromed. I have a few that are just plain sweet iron bits that are rusted I just keep on using them, I suppose you could try wiping it down with Veg. or olive oil after sand blasting it clean. It might prevent the rust. Just my 2 cents woth. lol

blurry

Postby blurry » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Supposidly crest tooth paste is supposed to be able to clean the rust off (and scrubbing with it), but that's only what I've heard. :-)

But isn't rust on the mouth piece a good thing? I thought horses liked rusty bits, it increases salivation. If it's on the cheekpieces I wouldn't want it their either.

Good luck.
Last edited by blurry on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~We are all just one small adjustment away from making our lives work~

Sailor

Rusty Bit

Postby Sailor » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:34 pm

The same acid that is used to Oxidize a trailer or that is used to clean Chrome will clean the rust right off...just rinse really well after with water!

The old boys all say that if a bit dosent rust its no good!

live2ride

RUSTY BITS?

Postby live2ride » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:50 pm

Try wiping it with steel wool, or a wire brush!

nickers

rusty bit

Postby nickers » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:02 pm

I have a quick solution. If you know any handy mechanics they should have an elictric grinder. On one side they have a stone and the other a metal brush. 2 minutes max with that wire brush, ( make sure you wear safty glasses from flecks of metal)and your bit will look look like it is brand new.
nickers :-)

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”