Horse trailers with living quarters

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Leslie

Horse trailers with living quarters

Postby Leslie » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:22 pm

with family expansion we are thinking of a living quarters trailer. what are some of the things you look for in a trailer? what is good and bad about the different ones?
thank you in advance for your suggestions and ideas.

randa

Postby randa » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:34 pm

I think (from experience) that you really need to do a price comparison very throughly before you buy anything!!! Do not go on what each dealer is telling you. Know what you are looking for and be very specific. I have been doing price checks on trailers and have found the best prices in trailers to be out east (Ontario) or in the states. It seems as though in Alberta prices seem to be higher.

For things to look for
(1) you want 8 feet wide-it may not sound like a big deal but it is once you are travelling in your trailer.
(2) is this a trailer you want to keep for a long time or will you upgrade as your family grows-this is what is happening to us.
(3) will you be using your trailer for it's full advantage (will you be cooking and so on) if so you will need to find one that has enough space, large fridge and a cook top.

There are so many options in trailers nowdays, so try to find what you can't live with out and go from there. Also manager and storage are a major plus.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Deana

Postby Deana » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:23 pm

I think from my own experiences in the last two years, Randa is very right. You need to make sure to check out the prices, and if this trailer is the one you want to keep for a long time.

I have had the best of luck buying my trailers from the States. I found the price to be a lot cheaper than purchasing one up here.

As I have found this year, my trailer had everything except that extra stall. I am having to sell my trailer because I was unsure at the time of buying it if I would need a three horse or a four horse. Now I realized I should of gotton the four horse, as my boyfriend usually packs two horses and I do as well. I also know that the extra storage space is a huge factor for the horses and us as well.

Good luck shopping for that special trailer! :wink:

Spirit

Postby Spirit » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:56 am

What is required when buying a trailer in the states to bring it across the line? Duty? GST? etc.?
"The will to win was born and bred in them all. But some cared more than others: It was those with the implecable impulse to lead a wild herd who fought hardest and oftenest won" Dick Francis

randa

Postby randa » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:36 am

Spirit wrote:What is required when buying a trailer in the states to bring it across the line? Duty? GST? etc.?

You pay the duty (7 %) of price, $182 processing fee of some sort and you may have to pay a broker if you are going to claim the GST. If you aren't claiming then the first two is all it costs.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Spirit

Postby Spirit » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:02 pm

Thanks!
"The will to win was born and bred in them all. But some cared more than others: It was those with the implecable impulse to lead a wild herd who fought hardest and oftenest won" Dick Francis

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”