Barrel racing economics

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

ronni

Barrel racing economics

Postby ronni » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Hello, I just started barrel racing last year. I like the ABRA jackpots, but loved the Highstakes races for the obvious reason. More money and more slots to win in (4D as compared to 3D). So, now this year Highstakes is gone, Turn and Burn will be done by March, where is there some better oportunities for us out there? (I did not feel ready for rodeo yet, and now that I see that Pro girls can compete in there, truly don't feel ready to go there at all) I really do feel kind of lost as to where one can go, ..... is south the only option to make a bit of money if all things go right and luck is with you? (which I think all of us that are starting out need to rely on a little) Thanks for any ideas and helpfull information.

Thank God for horses that forgive us our mistakes and pack us anyway!!
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Deana

Postby Deana » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:39 pm

Hi Ronni, I was a little frustrated myself to hear that there wouldn't be anymore High Stakes, I really enjoyed them too. It was nice having the 4D for younger horses and new barrel racers as well.

There are the other amateur rodeo associations you can go to if you like, LRA, FCA, NRA, WRA. I personally have rodeoed those associations in the past, they were a lot of fun, and you could make some money. Those associations in themselves have not been opened up to the pros, so don't worry just go have fun. :wink:

"Success is measured by your willingness to keep on trying."
- Anonymous

Erica

Postby Erica » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Hey Ronni,

For you the FCA would be a good choice if you are not wanting to travel too far. The entry fees range between $60-$110. The rodeos that have the $100 entry fee are usually the amateurs bigger rodeos so can pay $1500 - $3000 to win. As Deana said, the Alberta associations have not opened up to the pros, so don't be discouraged. There are lots of rodeos with decent ground and the competition can be quite tough but I am sure you and your horse would manage just fine.

ronni

Barrel racing economics

Postby ronni » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:09 pm

Hello, and thanks for the resopnses. So how good does one have to be to go to a rodeo? For example, where should you land in an ABRA jackpot to bother loading up and haul to an FCA rodeo lets say? And how much is a card? and there is really that much money up to be won? I am fairly uneducated and have never bothered to really look into it because I figured I was just a ways of where one should be to go compete in something like that. I have the horse that can pull in awesome times, but I am still at the stage of not thinking through my whole pattern. I am just starting to get little blurbs where I actually "think" during the pattern but it is inconsistent and may not happen until 2nd to 3d and be gone by the time I actually get to third! So you can see how I still like to leave a ton of room for error on my part, and feel better with the safety net of a 2nd and 3d division. When did you all start going to rodeos? Soooo many questions, and I truly do appreciate any input and experiences you can all give me.

Erica

Postby Erica » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:40 pm

Here is some more information for you Ronni. The average FCA rodeo would pay $600 to win. Sometimes a bit more. I would say if you are going to 3D jackpots and can regularly place in the 1D, then you are ready for an FCA rodeo. Honestly though, if your horse is running well then give it a shot....you might as well. I have been barrel racing and going to rodeos my whole life....18 years, since I was 6 and I still have mental blocks, think about other things during the run, hear the announcer, etc......it happens!! There are girls who like to go to the rodeos for more competition as well as a different atmosphere than the 3D jackpots. As well as the chance to win more money. A membership is about $170 with the FCA.

Deana

Postby Deana » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi Ronni, I can't remember what the price of an FCA card is, I haven't gone that association for a long time, but maybe somebody else could help you with that.

As far as how tough you need to be, I wouldn't worry about it. It is a good place to start with your horse, and it helps get all the jitters out when you run against people that aren't there to judge you, just help you out if you need it. The girls that run FCA and the other associations I listed are tough, and do put together awesome runs, however they are very helpful to new comers, and welcome them at their rodeos. I always look at it, "More the Merrier!"

I started going to rodeos in 1994, I was 14. I ran CAARA, LRA, WRA, FCA, and NRA running in the juniors, and then graduating to the Ladies. I also went to the HighSchool Rodeos. I started going to the pro rodeos on my full card in 2000. I was very lucky to have such encouraging parents that hauled my brother and I to all of our rodeos.

Quote: If you don't make mistakes, you don't make anything. :wink:

Michele

Postby Michele » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:47 pm

Hi Ronni,

I agree with the other girls. Give it a shot! It will only make you better and like Deana said there are always girls willing to help out, all you have to do is ask. Where are you located?
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

KT Canchaser

Postby KT Canchaser » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:39 pm

Ronni,

Another Association you might like to look into is the CARA (formerly CAARA) I think this is a great little association to get started in. All the rodeos are located in centeral AB. Entry fees are $40 and it pays approx $300 to win. There is about a dozen rodeos that are apart of the assoc. so it is good if you are not ready to hit the road every wekend.At the end of the season saddles are given out to the season leaders. If you would like more info the office # is 403-784-3652
Keep on Keepin' on

ronni

Postby ronni » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out!
Veronika

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”