Where did barrel racing get started?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

ronni

Where did barrel racing get started?

Postby ronni » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Hello, just wondering if anyone could help me find out more about the history of barrel racing. I am trying to help a gal find information for a school paper, and I am having a really hard time getting the right info. She wants to write it on the history of barrel racing, and all I am getting is individual rodeos and such. Anyone out there have any ideas for me? Thanks a bunch in advance!
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Deana

Postby Deana » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:27 am

Hi Ronni, I just did "rodeo" ie: barrelracing, in my theme class at school. My little hutterite kids loved it! :D I used books from the library at the school to get my info from. I can't remember all the books, because I don't have them with me. One of the books though was called, "Cowboys," it goes back to the old west days, where cowboys/girls got there start. It talks a little about barrel racing. As far as barrelracing up here, I got my start going to highschool rodeos, and to the CAARA association, later graduating on to the LRA, WRA, FCA, NRA, and so on. Is this what you meant? I hope this helps you a little. Have you tried going onto the internet, and typing in history of barrel racing? It might have something, but I'm not sure. Goodluck! :wink:

ronni

History of barrel racing

Postby ronni » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:57 pm

Thanks for the help, and I did try the history of barrel racing, but all it brings up is history of individual rodeos or rodeo history in general. It is really hard to find out how exactly and where barrel racing got started. Who invented, why did they, did it come from a certain region like rodeo itself or did it start somewhere else? I just can't find any exact information on it. Funny , this started as just wanting to help out this gal as a favour because she has no internet access, but now I am actually really curious!!! How can there not be more information about the origin of this sport? I'll keep digging, and thank you again Deana Lyle.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Cadogan

Postby Cadogan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:27 am

How did barrel racing get started? To be honest I believe someone was simply bored and needed a few laughs. So they invented a "sport" whereas some moron makes an ass outta herself riding around 3 plastic barrels. :roll:

randa

Postby randa » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:36 am

My best friend said to me this fall "How can 3 barrels mess up one persons life so much?" I think about that a lot! These are 3 barrels that DON'T MOVE, they don't kick or horn you. They are in the same place every time and 3 of them every time. Why is it so hard!!!!!

Sorry that was off topic but I had to vent!!!

I will see what I can find out about the origins of barrel racing.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Cadogan

Postby Cadogan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:49 am

:arrow:
horn you? :shock: kinky!

randa

Postby randa » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:51 am

Cadogan wrote::arrow:
horn you? :shock: kinky!

you are the one with the dirty mind!! I was more along the lines of that we are not in the arena with bulls!!
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”