Mares vs Geldings

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Erica

Mares vs Geldings

Postby Erica » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:44 pm

In Racehorse or Cowhorse, Ronni brought up that she thought she would never ride a mare and now she is riding one and loves her. So, does everyone have a preference? If so, do you prefer mare or gelding? Or maybe you don't have a preference? Let's find out!

qbm98

mare vs gelding

Postby qbm98 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:54 pm

No preference, love'm all. :D It's the individual for me. Although with a stud living here makes us divide the crew and is a bit inconvenient at times. Not that he is a problem by any means - you'd have a hard time picking him out of the bunch he's in with. As long as all are well behaved and mannered it makes no difference to us what they are.
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

AJU

Postby AJU » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:11 am

I have always had geldings and loved them. Then I got a mare last year, at one of the first jackpots I hauled her to she started pissing and acting like a mare. My husband gave me heck and told me to get after her. He said a mare is no different than a stud you have to be very strict with them. Since then she runs with the geldings and she is great to be around. I feel that she has the biggest heart and so much try. I think I will definately buy another mare.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy -Ray Hunt

bushedbunny

Postby bushedbunny » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:00 pm

I havent owned a thousand different horses of either sex, i have to admit ive had good luck with mares as well as geldings, but in my opinion, i think you have to like/trust your horse and your horse like/trust you, regardless what sex, and of course hormones and other things like that enter into the equation, but if you dont trust them or like them, and that works both ways, how can you expect them to want to work for you. A little off topic, i know, sorry but i thought id comment on that.

krys

Postby krys » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:39 pm

I have always rode mares, and I love them. I ride a couple geldings right now, and they are awesome as well. I do find though that my mares have alot more heart than my geldings. I just have never made a big fuss about whether they are a mare or not though and usually just through them in with the geldings. I wonder if it's true that if you treat a mare like a mare, she acts like one. I never have so I don't know.

dirtdevil

Postby dirtdevil » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:22 pm

I have one or more of everything around here:Stud, gelds, mares...I would have to agree with A. Anderson about their behaviors. I have seem some girl's geldings be so ill-mannered, rammy or herd bound that it makes me cringe. I think you have to teach them all respect - and they are what you make them to an extent (sort of like children) The horse only knows how to act like a horse naturally would. If you expect otherwise, you need to teach him or her those mannerisms. As far as Krys's comment:
I do find though that my mares have alot more heart than my geldings I have heard this before- some people say that mares will actually try even harder when in heat?? I think the "heart" issue totally depends on the individual- there are some pretty nice geldings out there with great big hearts...
I read once where you can tell a gelding what to do, ask a stud to do something, but with mares you need to negotiate everything...tee hee!
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record. ~ Jan McKeithen

Janet

Postby Janet » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:05 pm

:) I think mares are great, I don't think you can beat a mare that loves her job. I find that my mare is always ready to do hers, even when one of our gelding is standing in the side lines screaming for her and pawing the ground she always is ready and willing to do her job to the best of her ability. If I had to look for a new horse, I would look for another mare.:)

qbm98

Postby qbm98 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Before me, my ex had a Morgan mare that I think would died for him. He was forced into selling her and she was never the same afterwards. They did the horse show thing and there wasn't anything that she couldn't or wouldn't do for him. Saddleseat, western pleasure, driving, trail, halter - they were a dream to watch and basically won everything they entered. Sad thing to is that once she was gone he lost total interest also.

I've heard from many, many people that a mare will give her all for you. But then a mare is a female and us females are a tougher bunch then the males and seem to give more at everything and anything :wink: don't we?
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Erica

Postby Erica » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:44 pm

:) You know I find that while in heat my one mare is AWESOME to run and always does well. She just seems to have extra gas and is smoother too....a good combination! My other, younger mare isn't such a treat though. She sees me coming to catch her and heads the opposite direction and plays a game of tag.....yeah you can guess who wins!!! Anyways, I have learned to trick her but she still gives me attitude while riding....I agree with the "you have to negotiate" comment b/c I do or else she gets really upset.....almost emotional...just like us girls! My other mare is more loving and WANTS to be around me while in heat. So, I totally agree on they are all individuals.

I have ridden geldings too....but it seems my last 5 rodeo horses have been mares and I really like them. I am going to have to work on a gelding for awhile so I can do some more recent comparison. My old geldings won me lots of championships and taught me the ropes so I can't complain that is for sure!

Bit'o'both

Postby Bit'o'both » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:57 pm

The same applies for me, My first real barrel horse was a mare, and she won and taught me so much. Also I have had geldings that have done the same. I can't say one is better than the other. When I am looking for a horse I tend to look at the geldings first. I don't have any real reason I guess. We seem to have always had geldings and its easier to buy a new gelding and turn him out than get a mare and turn her out with "the boys", atleast it is at my place.

sq

Postby sq » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:31 pm

I think it boils down to preference, as there are horses of both gender that are great. I myself prefer geldings, as they tend to be more consistent. I always thought it was funny when people said that geldings have no heart, for two reasons. One is that they're the only horse out there that isn't focused on getting laid ( :lol: :wink: ) and two is that most of the NFR and CFR winners have been geldings. I think of Scamper, Bozo, Cruiser, Rocky, Risky Chris and go WOW!! Not to mention Buck, Reiner, Raylee Edward's horse (Mickey?), Mr. T, and Awesome. Mr. Consistency is okay in my books! I know Janae Ward's horse was a mare (when she won the NFR), but what about the buckskin that Janet Stover ran, does anyone know? And in the defense of mares, there is Deedee (J. Ward's), and I'm sure Chick makes up for a dozen geldings!!! Can anyone think of any other greats? Having said all this, I don't think that it matters what they are as long as your experience with that horse is valued by the rider.

randa

Postby randa » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Hotshot is a gelding (the horse J. Stover won world on). I wonder on what the stats are for how many mares vs geldings are being run?? I really don't lean one way or the other. I sure won't pass up a good mare though because they are at least good for something if they get crippled.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Karla

Postby Karla » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:27 pm

It's funny growing up we only ever had geldings on our farm, my mom would never buy a mare. Finally one year she broke down and bought me my mare gizzy. She was horrrible to be around (she broke some of my ribs once when she kicked me) She would bit or kick anybody who walked by her, and you could never leave her alone at the trailer cause she would dig her way to china. But I got along with her so well, after spending a lot of time with her she dropped most of her nasty habbits and she ended up being one of the best horses that I ever had. Now we have 7 mares and one litle stud colt. I would prefer a mare over a gelding any day.

Claudine

Mares vs Geldings...

Postby Claudine » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:22 am

As many of you have said, I have found my geldings to be more consistent, but when my mares made a good run, they were hard to beat... The one mare I had, would run even harder when she was horsin (she would also kick your head off if you weren't careful...) Mare or gelding - as long as they take you to the winner's circle :lol:
You win some you shouldn't win, and you lose some you shouldn't lose...

Double D

Postby Double D » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:14 am

I find it interesting to read so many people say that geldings run more consistently, I have had the opposite experience. I find the mares I've ridden try hard everytime and are more consistent at a young age and geldings seem to mature later and don't always give 100%.

I prefer mares but I really think it comes down to a good horse is a good horse and I wouldn't pass one up either way. The mare I ran previously always ran well but ran better in heat and I can't even tell when the mare I run now is in heat so I haven't noticed a difference. Our horses all run together in the pasture their entire lives mares and geldings, I think that helps with their behavior towards each other.
"When your horse follows you without being asked, when he rubs his head on yours, and when you look at him and feel a tingle down your spine...you know you are loved." ~ John Lyons

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”